25th Devil's Creek 2021: March 5, 6 & 7 2021

**RESCHEDULED**
AMA/Honda Cross-Florida National Adventure Ride
New Date: November 7 & 8, 2020

Forest Clean-Up Seoptember 2020

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
swampy

Reply with quote  #1 

Two trail systems offer a variety of recreation experiences: (1) the Ocala North OHV Trail System offers a longer experience with six distinct trail loops and (2) the Wandering Wiregrass OHV Trail offers shorter day-use riding.

Note that both trails have sections on roads that allow both licensed and unlicensed vehicles.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/florida/recreation/oca-OHV/index_OHV.shtml

Post your pictures and review to this thread!

They're Always After
Me Lucky Charms!
Reply with quote  #2 

There's some single track!

JackDaniel

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #3 

Has anyone heard as to whether they passed the ordinance re: paying to ride unlicensed vehicles on the ORV trails?

Look At The Size Of THAT Tank!
Reply with quote  #4 
JackDaniel

All the ranger I've spoken to they are still in the planning stages of  pay to ride in Ocala.  You do have to have the forest sticker if the bike does not have a plate in it.
MikeP

Kazoo Virtuoso
Reply with quote  #5 

I read a sign in the window of the Forestry Office at Salt Springs on 09/08/07. The sign read all Off Road Vehicles must have a sticker and annual pass, price $75. There was also a day pass available but I didn't pay attention to the price. Mike-

canuck479

Is MiamiMike Really
From Vancouver?
Reply with quote  #6 

Yes as of Oct 1 2007 all vehicles riding the OHV trails will require a permit. Even tagged bikes"for the trails only', I hear $75 for a year but there will also be single day and 10 day passes available from the rager office open Mon trough Friday or the visitors centeropen on the weekends.  I heard they dont credit or debit cards but not sure about that.

Kazoo Virtuoso
Reply with quote  #7 
Here is a link to the Forestry Service brochure on the topic. It doesn't mention tagged vehicles one way or the other. I'm sure the Rangers will be happy to provide the clarification like canuck479 just said. 

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/florida/recreation/documents/Ocala%20OHV%208-27.pdf

Mike St Augustine
mundyspro

Honor Student
at DDS Elementary
Reply with quote  #8 
Read again, I remember a phrase which says" licensed vehicle riders who wish to use the designated trail system MUST pay the same as OHV's" It's in there somewhere!
swampy

Reply with quote  #9 

No matter what, $75 to be able to ride 120 miles of designated trails, combined with hundreds of miles of roads....it's worth every penny!

Honor Student
at DDS Elementary
Reply with quote  #10 
With the BAD experiences we had with hunters last year, Rodman/Delancey designated trails and the surrounding area- May be the SAFEST place to ride! General Gun runs from about Nov. 10th thru Jan. 10th. We won't even go back to our regular riding area for those months!!!!
RobRobinson

Burrito Bandito!
Reply with quote  #11 
$10 per day pass available at the riding areas.  It sure is nice to have the FS working with us instead of "agin us".  We don't have to run from them anymore.  They also are adding more & more trails in the Lk Delancy area.

Rob

dembrats

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #12 
My sons and I tried out the Wandering Wiregrass trail on Monday.  They were on a DR-Z125, and they've been riding for about a month now.  My 14-year old was able to make the whole loop, but it was a challenge for him.  It took us about 2:45 with the 125 spending some quality time dumped in the sand and my son resting his head on the handlbars after yet another stall.

Overall it was a fun challenge, and left him with a sense of accomplishment.  He rated the day an 8 out of 10.  Now my 12-year old is itching to go back and conquer the Wiregrass!

The trail was being groomed while we were there, so very few ATV ruts, but pretty soft sand for most of it.  Lots of areas with whoops, and some areas with packed sand or a little ground cover.  The trail is pretty open with very few tight turns or obstacles.  We were the only ones there all day, except for the FS groomer and two ATV's.
FlyNW

Swampy said it's okay.
How deep can it really be?
Reply with quote  #13 
Also known as the Wandering Whoop As_ Trail.  Some of the trails running south out of the Lake Delancy Trail Head are firm and wide enough to give young riders a chance to work on their riding techniques instead of working on their technique of picking up the bike.

That's near the North End of the Forest but has a nicely shaded area to park.  Day Use Parking fee is required.  Not sure how much.  I think it's a few bucks.

Hope your boys appreciate a Dad that totally rocks by taking them riding.  I would have given my eye teeth to go riding as a "youngsta".

Keep on ridin!

Nate

I Like To Ride Nekkid!
Reply with quote  #14 
Careful on Wandering Wiregrass on weekends,especially if the weather is nice. Lots of 4 wheelers at top speed in both directions, and very little sense. They consider bikes in the roadkill category and behave accordingly. I got tired of pulling over to let the maniacs through. Next time it is... Uzi time!

You are safer on the trails of Delancy. Still 2-way but some are motorcycle only. Tobacco Patch has enough deep sand to make one want to be helicoptered out (I sure wanted to, the first time there by myself with the 230L and street legal tires... DUMB!!). Overall nicer riding options on 2 wheels than Wiregrass.

If you are street legal the SE quadrant is my favorite. SE of 19 and 40. There are springs and a lovely place by a sandy creek which is great for lunching and swimming.

The Centennial Trail sounds enticing on the chart but has tons of very deep sand and equally deep water holes. (That is where we found out that DRZs do not float.... but are sure indestructible yellow submarines!)

Etc.etc.etc. I love Ocala National forest!

I Like To Ride Nekkid!
Reply with quote  #15 
Looking for riding company- Ocala National Forest

I will be spending every weekend in September in Ocala National Forest- based in Astor on the river. Repeat of last year's bliss, before the dreaded hunters take over the place.

Looking for riding companions who can help me pick up 340lbs+ of my beloved Suzuki should it so happen that I drop her. Does not happen often, but once in a while yes and of course always in the worst spots. Will be glad to do likewise for my buddies + patch up broken bodies, bring lunch, GPS, maps etc.

I like riding the SE quadrant (SE of 19 and 40) but will ride anywhere. Not thrilled with the deep sand of Delancy or Wiregrass, though.

I have been known to stop at springs or other suitable places for a swim.

More "lollygagging" than "Roof of Africa".

Sense of humor, equipment in good working condition and love for exploration more important than riding skill (of which I have little).

Let me know.

Giovanna Queen of Slow and Duchess of Scratch*

*after my encounter with chiggers working at last week's Lake City Hare Scramble. (Chiggers won)

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!