Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
forum logo

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

Devil's Creek Dual Sport, Feb 28, 29, March 3 2020. Sold Out in 11 Hours!

Cross-Florida AMA National Adventure Ride April 4 & 5, 2020

Forest Clean-Up August 2020
Gobbler November 2020

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #46 
Good stuff guys.. Keep em coming[clap]
Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
stubbjr

Hey! It's My Birthday!
Reply with quote  #47 
 Dan, I guess Devils Creek finally got the best of those bearings huh? [bom_thinking2]It'll be interesting to see where you found new ones up there.[lurker]

Reply with quote  #48 
So what you're saying is...  Dan lost his bearings?

Reply with quote  #49 
After a quick pit stop at Potts Camp, Dan's rear wheel bearings began to fail.   MHCT was only half over so we discussed our options to the limp the ailing DRZ back to Enid Lake.  

[i-9bn7q5L-L] 

We decided not to take the paved short cut to Enid Lake but to continue on the main route of twisting dirt roads back to the cabin.  However, we cooled our spirited pace to compensate for the now wobbly DRZ rear wheel.

Dan bought a fancy tube of grease at the cross roads market in Paris, MS and would grease his balls tonight at the cabin.  [eek]

Free Beer Tommorrow!
Reply with quote  #50 
I'll take that!  It's a whole lot better than saying I lost my balls!
The bearings were dry, but not damaged yet.  And yeah Stubb, Devil's Creek revenge. Lesson learned, after running set up for three weekends in flooded conditions...................just change the wheel bearings and get it over with. Fortunately, we are in Mississippi where you can get wheel bearing grease at a convenience store. 

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #51 
Luckily our plan worked [thumb]........the slower pace eased the burden on Dan's old dried up balls and we made it back to our cabin without any further problems. [biggrin]

Along the way we had stopped in at a local gas station/deli/fried chicken stand and grabbed a bag of what would be supper on the run. [lickout]

My flash catches Dan with his hand all greased up "doin' the nasty" outside the cabin............

[100_1158]

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

Dan

Free Beer Tommorrow!
Reply with quote  #52 
Sealed bearings are both good and bad.  Not as much dirt and water gets in, but when it does, it's harder to deal with.  I remove the hub oil seal, pick out the bearing seal, pack the bearing, and press the seal back in.  Good news is, the bearings, cage, and race are not damaged enough to cause a total failure.  We are good to go for day three.

Reply with quote  #53 

.....later that night back at the cabin.

[i-MZrFz9T-L] 

"Okay Tooly, it's packed full of grease and ready to go.  When I line up the hole, go ahead and shove it in."

[i-RcD4RSH-L] 

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
"Okay Tooly, it's packed full of grease and ready to go.  When I line up the hole, go ahead and shove it in."

That's about the time that the lights started coming on in the other cabins as they peeped out the windows.........[peepwall]

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #55 
A little Sam Adams Oktoberfest [beer] and a few stories before bedtime. Day two had been long. We left at sunup and returned just after sundown.........what a great day. [funfun] 

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

swampy

Reply with quote  #56 
...and Andy goes....

[andypic] 

Reply with quote  #57 
Rolling before sunrise on a chilly Day 3, we followed Sam Correro's excellent south bound Mississippi Hill Country route back to Roosevelt State Park.

[i-2v9Nd72-L] 

[i-j2xT3Rz-L] 

Good, Bad, and Ugly
Reply with quote  #58 
Dan was on his knees saying "Daddy always said you can't
trust no Hogwallop bearings ...We're in a tight spot!"

01 Suzuki DR-Z250
06 Triumph Tiger
96 Yamaha XT225 (Mel's bike she doesn't ride)
79 XS650F Rode it from 1985 to 94 Needs TLC
75 DT250B Since I was 19 

"Life Changing is when you no longer have a Bike"
jakbrand

Reply with quote  #59 
Dan and Tooly stopped a few times to warm their hands.  [amazon]  
Dan's bearings seemed to be holding and we were making good time today.

[i-5CdxXzB-L] 

By Day 3 I felt comfortable on the 690 and drifted through corners littered with Mississippi marbles without fear of sliding off the road and being swallowed by kudzu.

[i-Vbwws5M-L] 

[i-VzPndf8-L] 

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #60 
One thing I had noticed over the three days of riding thru Mississippi was several intersections on the dirt roads were not your typical "T" type intersection but more of a "Y" and no direction had a Stop sign. Looked like the perfect recipe for disaster. I guess the Mississippians know how to make it work.

More kudzu filled areas and the cotton fields seemed more prevalent today..........

[100_1148]

[image]

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!