Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
forum logo

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

Devil's Creek Dual Sport, Feb 28, 29, March 3 2020. Sold Out in 11 Hours!

Cross-Florida AMA National Adventure Ride April 4 & 5, 2020

Forest Clean-Up August 2020
Gobbler November 2020

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
swampy

Reply with quote  #1 
2009 DDS Fall Classic
Alabama, USA!

Whoo Hoo!
My First Post!
Reply with quote  #2 

I HAD A GREAT TIME[ EVEN THOUGHT IT WAS CUT SHORT] AT MY 1ST ALA FALL RIDE. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET IN FOR YEARS.  THANKS TO WHOMEVER GAVE ME THE JB WELD AT THE LUNCH BREAK. IT WAS GREAT TO GET TO RIDE WITH FELLOW DUAL/SPORT RIDERS.......GREAT EVENT  NEXT TIME ILL HAVE TO GET THE URAL THRU BOTH DAYS........... 

swampy

Reply with quote  #3 
You made it back into the park boundary so we'll give ya credit for finishin'!

Muffler Bearing Tech Day
Coming Soon!
Reply with quote  #4 
I WILL be back next year! What a nice ride through beautiful country. I think this was better than the Hooch. Here are a couple of photos of the scenery.

swampy

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks Larry!

Good news: KTM will be providing a support truck at start/lunch/finish both days next year!

I wonder if BMW will step up to the plate with at least some prizes... I don't understand that company...

I'll be posting my pics later... let's see some more from you guys!

DDS Rocks!
Reply with quote  #6 
That was me that donated the JB weld THREELEGGEDDOG

Sorry you had troubles.

I will add some pics later.

Thanks for a great ride Swampy....

mr_guns

Brought To You By Tom's Yaller Snap-Off Foot Pegs!
Reply with quote  #7 
Got the bikes unloaded Friday afternoon and decided to go exploring.

First stop was the tower in the park.

A few of my traveling mates Tim, Mark and Matt all from RCDR.

From the tower.

And the other way, which was a lot nicer.

And the highest point.  You can tell Tim wasn't excited about the picture taking.....

Will post Saturday and Sunday's later.....
Guns out

Reply with quote  #8 

Concerning the pics so far... WOW!!!

Muffler Bearing Tech Day
Coming Soon!
Reply with quote  #9 
Had a great time up there. Met some nice ppl, ate some good food, and soaked in the wonderful scenery and good riding.

rjohnson

I know McPush, and you Sir, are no McPush!
Reply with quote  #10 

Once again, Swampy produced a great ride. (Special thanks to Mrs. Swampy for, well, anyone who knows Swampy, you get the picture.)

We thoroughly enjoyed the scenery....

The campground...........

The bikes at Barber..........

The fine art at Barber.........

I did the DS ride Saturday on the DRZ and my wife and I did the Adventure ride two-up (KLR) on Sunday, and both were a blast. We absolutely loved the Adventure route.

Thanks for a great event!

DDS Rocks!
Reply with quote  #11 
Great job 2-Up on the KLR.  I saw you on Sunday.  

I was on the Husky 610 with the yellow light.

Welcome to Alabama....
swampy

Reply with quote  #12 
I always head out a few days early. For one thing, I just like getting away from Florida. For another I just like Alabama. Yet on another note, it's these days where I get to do more exploring: finding better connector-roads, places to stop, verifying the map, checking the route for this year, and so forth. It's a time to ride, at my pace with few distractions. It's productive yet relaxing. Lonely yet fulfilling. And above all, it feels like home.

It's fall in Alabama.

I arrive Wednesday night, unload what nees to be unloaded immediately, and set myself up for a good night's sleep.

In the morning, I awake to a friendly view. It's how I know...

More unloading: bike, gear, stuff. Weather is balmy and clear, a cold front with rain is due tomorrow. Today there's a lot to get done. Sometimes it's tough, but I get ride in Alabama. In October.

I travel and confirm the route, the catering, the roads and bridges. I roll over hills and between rocks. Over craggy roads and through the fall splendor.

It's fall. The smells of wood fires, of leaves and mud. Babbling creeks with sunshine glinting away upon the rock faces that line the ravines. Trees overhang in a canopy of colors: reds, oranges, browns, yellows and green.

It's the small moments in life, that when added together, become the bigger root of inspiration.

...and sometimes they cloud your judgement...

Manuvering down the jeep road section, (yes THAT jeep road section), I dip into the gully to bypass THE hole.... yet it was impassable on the far side due to the slick clay, the roots and the steepness of the grade out. Being by myself, I turned the big 9-5-0 around and climbed back out.

Now this is the hole that Jen McLeod came motoring through last year, the one Frank went swimming in. Yet this year, it seemed to not be as deep. Or as long.

So machismo overrode the intellect... into the hole I went....

The 950 was churning the gray goo, shooting water out the back like a sprinkler at a sod farm. I was moving through the mud....for a while.... then it slowed down.... then it stopped... about 5 feet from the other end....water up to carb level...

So here I am.... stopped in the middle of the hole....at 4:15 in the afternoon.... by myself....

Dumba$$, dumba$$, dumba$$!

To make a long story short... I eventually got the beast out of the hole...

...and I eventually exited the jeep road... and continued my way back to the mountain... to gaze at the stars at night, and the lights of civilization below. For in the morning, more work to be done...

Friday was spent stuffing all the rider packs... then an inpromptu evening registration for those who have already gone through a DDS tech... a trip to Wal-Mart for supplies...Mrs Swampy arrives later that evening... and we sit on the rocks with The Captain, just looking out at the world stretched out below.

Tommorrow, I get to see more old friends and get to meet many new ones...

Life...... is good.

Reply with quote  #13 

As usual I love it and I'm waiting for more reports.
Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
mr_guns

Reply with quote  #14 
Time for the riders meeting so everyone was starting to gather.

The bikes all roll in.

I think there are more over on the other side too.

Don't tell anyone it's cold out.

Swampy giving the rules of the road...

If we put a ramp right there I think we can make it...What do you think?

Nice view on the way to the chow...

The food was soooooo gooooood, just look at the look on Barry's face....Yummmmm

The food was so good I think some even ate the bones.

There is the boss, oh yeah Swampy was there too.

The bikes were ready to go, to long they sat there with beautiful trails ahead.

Never caught his name, but this was just after Barry helped him right his KLR on the big rocky hill....

Time to sight see along the way.

Can I? Can I? I want to go down there....

What a great ride. If you missed it you really messed up!

Ended Saturdays pictures with the horse that took us on this journey.

Will post a couple from Sunday soon. Until next time....

Reply with quote  #15 
Saturday morning we're fogged in... which is nothing new. Seems to happen every year. But the funny thing is, that things clear up as you head down into the valleys!

Typical saturday morning at a DDS event.... folks still registering, people cutting and taping route sheets, coffee's brewing, oatmeal & grits for the eating, hot chocolate for keeping the hands warm....

... and of course, what it is 80% about... renewing friendships and establishing new ones! Afterall, the first chance to tell stories and spread lies is coming up at lunch!

The Fall Classic is gaining the reputation of being THE premier event in the southeast. People travelled to Alabama from as far away as Texas, Kentucky, and Connecticut...

Here's Rick having a deja vu moment.... See Rick remembers Cowboy Phil from Lochsa Lodge in Idaho.... but that's not Cowboy Phil, that's Pop Mathews, DDS member & parks dept employee....

Here's Cowboy Phil in Idaho...

Pops actually told me he may not be back in time next year. Seems he's going to Wyoming next summer to work on a dude ranch.... this is spooky!

Hummmmmmm.... Pops... Cowboy Phil.... Pops.... Cowboy Phil....

Back to more BS!

New DDSer Doug Tate with his GS800...

HELLO!

What's this?

That's right! A Ural Tourist one-wheel-drive!

But wait..... there's more!

It even come with this handy-dandy much sought after option....

Not onlya a motorcycle and side car... It's a mobile bottle opener!

I'll leave you now with this from Saturday morning, after leaving the fog shrouded top....

Now let's get to lunch!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!