**RESCHEDULED**
AMA/Honda Cross-Florida National Adventure Ride
New Date: November 7 & 8, 2020

Forest Clean-Up Seoptember 2020

Author   Comment  
rick_rutel11250

DDS Rocks!
Reply with quote  #1 
I'm new to the forum, but have been riding for over 45 years. I'm going to buy a bike for off roading with DDS, but don't know who makes a street legal dirt bike that's a step above a basic dual sport. My last off road bike a few years ago was a Honda CRF-450X, but not street legal. Any suggestions for a bike with the CRF's performance but able to put a tag on?

Brought To You By Tom's Yaller Snap-Off Foot Pegs!
Reply with quote  #2 
Hey......Who you callin basic????
Welcome aboard. Hang tight.... The answers will soon flood. You better go ahead and tell us all about your skills and anticipations.
jwciv

DDS Rocks!
Reply with quote  #3 
My anticipations. That's an easy one. When my wife finds out that we'll have four motorcycles in the garage, I "anticipate" she"ll kill me. Seriously, I was quite active off roading from 1968 to about the late '70's when I focused primarily on street bikes. A few years ago, a friend of mine (who I am now convinced was trying to help my wife collect my life insurance) talked me into trying off road again and I felt like I did when I was a teenager racing MX, except, eighty pounds heavier and way out of shape, with a brain that remembered what to do on the dirt, but a body that had selective memory issues. I'd like to get back into it with a bike like the CRF-450X I had. Lots of useable power to carry my um, girth. For now, I ride a. Ducati Hypermotard 1100 Corse Limited Edition and a Ducati ST3-S. I also have a Hardley Driveable Road King police model I teach advanced riding techniques with. All in all, after meeting an active member of DDS tonight and watching some Go Pro videos of ride DDS does in Tennessee, I have to join up and buy a bike.

Reply with quote  #4 
As always we suggest that you start somehwere in the middle with something like a DRZ400 then decide which way you want to go, more dirt or more road....

But since you already have yourself pegged with the CRFX, let's just move into the dirt range.....

Let's just begin by saying the Japanese do not have a street legal off-road bike. Theirs are all true dual sports. By off-road, I am implying that you could take it to a hare scrambles or enduro and be competitive....

Look for a used KTM 400/450/525/530 Model.

EXC models 2007 and newer are street legal from the factory. XC/XCW are not and may have an off-road title.

If a bike has an "ohv title, it can not EVER be made and registered as a street legal vehicle.

KTM bikes older than 2007 were all off-road only, but many were converted to legal street use. if you look for bikes that old, make sure the title they say they have is a street going title and that the bike has a current tag, otherwise you may get duped and buy a bike you can't register.

Husqvarna TE series bikes are street legal as well, though the parts availability is questionable due to a limited dealer network...

There are tagged and titled CRF-X bikes out there, they are few and far between, but if you find one you already know about them.

If you like kick starting a bike, the Honda XR650R is a good bike, though, once again, difficult to find one with a tag... as is the Yamaha WR250/400/450...

Now the big piece to remember when playing with an off-road model that you may be trying to convert, is that IT IS A FELONY to run a license plate from another vehicle on it...

If you're looking for a good dependable middle of the road bike, there are a lot out there and they're all good: DRZ, XRL, old DR series, XT, LC4 etc.

Hope this helps a little!

Declined A Position In The Obama Administration
Reply with quote  #5 
The Swampy is telling you straight.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!