Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

Devil's Creek Dual Sport, Feb 28, 29, March 3 2020. Sold Out in 11 Hours!

**RESCHEDULED**
AMA/Honda Cross-Florida National Adventure Ride
New Date: November 7 & 8, 2020

Forest Clean-Up August 2020
Gobbler November 2020

Author   Comment  
swampy

Reply with quote  #1 

The Old Brick Road extends for a distance of eleven miles between S.R. 204 and the rural community of Espanola. The northern two miles of the road are located in St. Johns County while the remaining portion is located in Flagler County. The road was part of the Dixie Highway which stretched from Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan south to Miami Beach, Florida. The road is composed of a packed shell foundation topped with a nine-foot wide brick roadbed and four-inch wide concrete curbs, flanked by three-foot wide shell shoulders for a total width of fifteen feet. The road construction was part of a sixty-six mile project completed in 1916 by St. Johns County.

Florida contained 337 miles of rural brick road that were part of the state highway system and an additional 389 miles of county and local brick roads in 1925. Florida contained the third highest concentration of rural brick highways in the nation by the mid-1920’s, but now has apparently less than fifty miles remaining. This segment of the Old Brick Road contains approximately 2,376,000 vitrified bricks. The bricks used to construct the Old Brick Road were vitrified bricks, clay bricks glazed at higher temperatures than common bricks.

Here's a link to some pictures of the Brick Road back in the heyday!

http://www.flaglercounty.org/brickrd/pictures.pdf

Beginning on the south end in Espanola this is the first contact with the Brick Road, also known as CR13. Notice the sign....

The road is covered in sand for the most part, but this is good. Over the years the layers have protected the brick from wear and the bricks underneath are in increadibly nice condition!

Modern wheels in touch with our past almost 100 years ago...

This is approximately half way. Lots of nothing, lots of sand,

lots of bricks. Imagin this as you're tooling down the road in

your Model T or Model A Ford....

Back in the early 1900's it was Adventure Travel no matter how you looked at it! I wonder how many motorcycles made the trek doen this road. Hendersons? Curtis? Ariels? Triumphs? Harley's?

A lone bike on a lonely road...

Towards the north end of the road the sand starts to get thinner and more bricks are revealed.

You can see the curbing better here at the north end...

This is a good shot to see the width of the road with the curbing on each side. Also a beautiful section of the roadway...

Very scenic drive today. Must have been mucho scenic and a little scary in 1917...

It's a shame that this is only a small protion of the road that still exists. Imagine the labor putting in those pavers! How many men? How many hours? How many stories can this road tell. If you ride, stop and lean down. Brush the sand away and see the brick. Touch it. Live history.

Whoo Hoo!
My First Post!
Reply with quote  #2 
Brings back memories of my adventure riding.  I did the old brick road on a
BMW R1200CLC.  I got tired of standing on the floorboards, so I sat down and shifted up a gear.  That's when I hit deep sugar sand and I lost control at about 35mph.  I highsided and landed 20' from the bike on my head and
back.  Thank God for padded nylon, helmet and leather.  No serious injuries,
but the bike took 5.200 to fix.  Next time maybe a more appropriate bike.

wildfred

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #3 

the wife and I live about 10 miles from the old brick road. bought her a klr650 last week so she could ride with me, guess where I took her first! went to princess preserve afterward, was a fun day!

Honor Student
at DDS Elementary
Reply with quote  #4 
This is one of my favorite rides. Hey Swampy, Isn't there a short section of the Dixie Hwy in Tiger bay? There is a section In Polk Co. also.
It would be cool to follow the old route.
http://www.us-highways.com/fldhat.htm

Reply with quote  #5 
I like that website with all the old roads.  I'm sure part of it may have gone through there.

There is part of the Old Dixie Highway here in Hudson, FL. It's dirt for about half way and is about 4 miles long... I'll take some pics from there...

Come on guys, this can be a really cool exploration and adventure riding thread!

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #6 

there is a section in tiger bay. the wife and I went through there on the way back from camping at blue springs state park. some major sand pits cutting through tiger bay from i.s.b. to granada. wife is getting to be quite the offroader!

Attached Images
jpeg bs1.JPG (172.54 KB, 35 views)
jpeg obr.jpg (238.34 KB, 42 views)

swampy

Reply with quote  #7 
Here's another trip to the Old Brick Rd....

WElcome back, now you know a little history which makes the following pictures a bit more enjoyable...

So we turn on CR13 and it goes from narrow paved to sandy...

The recent rains have washed a lot of sand from the roadway, but the bricks are easily seen as are the concete curbings, and in places, you can still see the limestone roadsides...

The Old Brick Road is always a treat for me. It's an opportunity to touch history. Ride history. and be history. I have travelled the Old King's Highway.

Here comes Bert now....

A quick Cracker Stop (stops where we talk about our recent Cracker Experience) for reflection on the road itself, the history, and a little BSing as well!

DDS Rocks!
Reply with quote  #8 
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I read about the old Brick Road and wasn't looking for it but stumbled accross it during a ride to St. Augustine's Riding through History show.

BTW, who needs a dual sport bike to ride the old brick road, not me!

Here is a little friend I met on the ride.
A Little friend I met on the ride...

Reply with quote  #9 
Hope you stayed away from this one

A Little friend I met on the ride...

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
jayuyan

DDS Rocks!
Reply with quote  #10 
Hey Bert,

Yep, did keep my distance. I saw many a snake that day as the road was rather deserted....

The one pictured is a small cotton mouth. I saw a huge one (at least 4 fee long and fat) but he took off when I approached on my moto. This little guy was itching for a fight, but I backed off!

That 11 miles of sand and brick was one of the most exciting rides I've been on, partly because of the bike I was doing it on and the other that it was such a neat find.

Need to sell my dirt bikes and get a dual sport so I can do more of this type of riding.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!