**RESCHEDULED**
AMA/Honda Cross-Florida National Adventure Ride
New Date: November 7 & 8, 2020

Forest Clean-Up Seoptember 2020

Author   Comment  
Dan

Free Beer Tommorrow!
Reply with quote  #1 
One of my favorite places in North Florida closed up a couple of years ago.  It was the Telford Inn in White Springs Florida.  White Springs is pretty much a ghost town now, but in the 1800's it was the place to be.  Steamboats brought tourists up river to the white sulfur springs, where guests soaked in the mineral water to cure their ailments.  A multistory  bath house around the spring accommodated guests and provided massage rooms.  Just down the dirt street stood the Telford Inn.  A hotel and restaurant made of a combination of red brick and Florida limestone.  Over the years, the huge two story front porch rotted and was removed, but the main building still stands.  About five or six years ago, someone opened it up again, restored the second floor rooms to original, and the downstairs to a restaurant.  In my travels I stumbled on to this place, and it quickly became on of our favorite places to go.  A great daytrip from Ocala.  A piece of living history and great food waiting. The original guest register is open to the page where Theodore Roosevelt signed in. You can imagine how bummed I was to make a nice three hour run to White Springs, and roll up to find the doors locked!
From time to time I have been checking online to see if it reopened.  Two days ago I was contemplating which direction to go for a ride, and thought of White Springs.  This time of year with the Azaleas, and Dogwood in bloom, that is the direction to go.  I check online, and to my surprise............. it's Open!!
The trip up was beautiful and the buffet was better than ever.  Fresh home cooked vegetables, and the best fried chicken you ever had. 
If you are thinking of heading towards White Springs, make the Telford Hotel your lunch stop.  You won't be sorry.  There are lots of other things to check out while in town.  The Stephen Foster Memorial and State Park, hiking and biking trails, the springs, and the only class 3 rapids in Florida.
Unfortunately, I did not take a camera with me today, so here is a link: http://urbns.pn/-9Bl

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #2 
Nice Report, thanks for sharing!

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
stubbjr

Hey! It's My Birthday!
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Dan. I'll make a point of stopping there nixt time I'm up that way.[eat]

They're Always After
Me Lucky Charms!
Reply with quote  #4 
Went there a couple of years ago with the Gainesville Corvette Club.  Good lunch and just as Dan described.  Worth a visit when you are in the area.  Glad to hear it's open.
swampy

Reply with quote  #5 
ROADTRIP!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!