Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
forum logo

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

Devil's Creek Dual Sport, Feb 28, 29, March 3 2020. Sold Out in 11 Hours!

Cross-Florida AMA National Adventure Ride April 4 & 5, 2020

Forest Clean-Up August 2020
Gobbler November 2020

Note: This topic is locked. No new replies will be accepted.

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 52      1   2   3   4   Next   »
swampy

Reply with quote  #1 
Let's Plan This:

Reply with quote  #2 

There are 1000 things to plan before we leave for Colorado. We only need to concentrate to a couple right now and then fill in the rest.

1. How are we getting out to Colorado and back.

a. Who will be responsible for driving out?

b. Whose vehicle we be taken?

c. What type of vehicle is it? Single cab truck, crew cab truck, etc.
                d. who has a trailer to use.

2.  When will we leave?

a. I think we can agree that it will take at least 30+/- hours to get from central Florida to  Salida.

b. We would need to leave Central Florida no later than Thursday (8-8-13)  early AM to get to Salida  on Friday late afternoon.

c. Robert mentioned getting there early in a previous post. Early being a relative term, our start time would need to be adjusted to meet our expectations on our ETA.

3. Our departure date

a. Our return trip should take into consideration a make up day. We may want to schedule to leave Friday but  plan on returning to our starting point on Thursday to give us a spare day in case of mechanical breakdowns or dare I say it medical emergencies.

4. We already have a ride planned for on Saturday (8-10-13) and Sunday (8-11-13). That leaves three or four more days to ride assuming we would head home starting the following Friday. This is where we have plenty of time to plan. I have a number of books with routes already laid out and I can get others that Jack Burton has developed. If we head towards Lake City Colorado we could base there or head into Ouray and stay at the same KOA cabins I stayed at last year. The Alpine loop is located between Lake City and Ouray and we can also do Telluride. Plenty of 12K and 13K passes along with a couple 14K peaks. We won't have trouble filling out days.
Did I mention Ouray has a large mineral Spring feed pool in the middle of town?

5. Or between now and then we could plan 100 other rides to fill the days.

As for costs once there, I think you can figure around $100 a day while there for food, gas and a place to stay split two to three ways.

On the last couple trips out west, I believe I did 10 days each time and spend under $1200 including gas out and back.

My .02
Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #3 
Need/want list is going crazy right now.........

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #4 

I will have to do routine maintenance but overall I'm ready to go as most of my prep work took place last year.
I'll throw out some suggestions to think about.
I would not be hard to plan on leaving the Salida area and traveling to another location with a sleeping bag and plan to stay at a number of the KOA campgrounds in the area that have cabins.
I just checked a couple in Montrose, Ouray (where we strayed last year) and Gunnison. All have cabins that sleep between 3 to 6 and range between $45 and $65 a night.
We could base out of one of these locations and do a number of great day rides.

A taste of the area

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #5 
Question re: bike prep

1)Are Brake rotor protectors needed/advised in this rocky terrain? Is anybody running them? Last time I rode rocky terrain was Alabama and Tenn enduros, but that was with drum brakes!!   

2)Do I need more than 100 miles of range? I can add 1 or 2 rotopax cans easily.

More questions coming soon..........

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #6 
I won't say you don't need them but I've run the DRZ and the 690 on some very rocky stuff over the last couple years out west without any rotor protection. Maybe I'm just lucky?????
Bert

jakbrand

Reply with quote  #7 
Tooly,

Two words for riding in Colorado "travel light". 

I recommend a Giant Loop pannier.  It fits on any motorcycle without additional hardware or brackets.  The Giant Loop pannier holds all items that you need.

I would advise mounting a sturdy rear brake rotor guard and skid plate.  You don't want a simple tip over (it will happen) to end your ride.

I have experienced every type of disaster you can imagine.  Somehow I seem to invent a new catasrophy every year, but a strong tow rope can usually save the day.

Reply with quote  #8 
I also pack a few items in a roll top dry bag and stack it on top of the Giant Loop pannier.  The pannier and dry bag fully packed with tools, spare parts and camp gear weighs about 30 pounds.

Another view:

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #9 
Thx Jack, So far it doesn't sound like we are carrying a lot of gear for full camping......I may be wrong.
Sounds like maybe strap on a sleeping bag and carry a hydration pak/backpack with essentials.

I think your brake protector is sound advice (cheap insurance even if you don't need it). 
Over a 5/6 day period the bikes will take a pretty good beating.

Any additional info along the way is appreciated!!

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

swampy

Reply with quote  #10 
Okay I'll jump in to make this happen....

I'll drive and can take 4 bikes on a yet to be obtained trailer! (mine in the truck). So make your reservations...
(I have an extended cab so I can take 1 person with or drive by myself)

I don't mind driving by myself, have gone back and forth to NY many times that way...so don't feel guilty about flying...

Tooly we can make arrangements to have you drop your bike off a week or so early and pick up after I get back...

This way I can run late, maybe stay a few extra days, bring the Tiger, etc...

Consider bike transport done.

Those figures on that other post will now come into play I guess...

STEP ONE DONE: CHECK!

Camping:
I'm thinking we cloverleaf this and stay in one place and venture out. We'll be Salida for two days... we can pack up and drive to the next spot (Silverton?) and camp again....

Gear:
I can take your tent, sleeping bags, and gearbags in the truck... well... in the truck bed... so all you'll need is a small carry-on at the airport...

Airport Transfer:
Denver and Colorado Springs are both about 3 hours from Salida... you'll have to rent a large car/SUV/minivan for all four guys to get to and from Salida...

So It's me (driving)
Tooly
Bert
Stubb (if he gets off his butt and commits)
Mystery Person

Reply with quote  #11 
I like the Giant Loop Mojavi for day rides (no camp gear).  Here's a close up without the yellow dry bag that carries camping gear.  This pannier is perfect for tools, spare tubes, spare parts, tow rope and rain gear.  Now your light weight backpack is limited to food and water. 

Reply with quote  #12 
Hey!........... What's that sound?............. It's Tooly's Visa card going BLING BLING BLING BLING!

Focus on the important first:

- extra set of brake pads (maybe two sets to be safe you'll need them anyway)
- extra air cleaner
- tubes
- if your bike has a clutch cable, bring an extra....
- oil filter if you plan an oil change (oil can be bought out there)

This'll be fun!

Somebody told me yesterday that 7 months out is too early to plan... bwahahahahaha!

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #13 
Sounding good so far. I keep all the aforementioned "important" stuff on hand......brake pads,filters, tubes etc. Hydraulic clutch so no cable there. 

If we can live with my 100 mile range all I'm really NEEDIN' is brake protector and panniers and new rubber before the trip.

I've got enough camping gear to make an assault on Mt Everest.

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

swampy

Reply with quote  #14 
I'm good for a hundred as well.... plus Bert always carries gas...

Don't know why you'd need panniers day trippin'..... simple backpack will work....

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #15 
Alrighty then.........I'm already savin' money.

"Mystery Person"......is McPush goin'???

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!