Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
forum logo

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

Devil's Creek Dual Sport, Feb 28, 29, March 3 2020. Sold Out in 11 Hours!

Cross-Florida AMA National Adventure Ride April 4 & 5, 2020

Forest Clean-Up August 2020
Gobbler November 2020

Author   Comment  
Bill

Eet Mor Chikin
Reply with quote  #1 

Last year a good friend joined his son (and grandson) and got back into flattrack racing…after decades…amateur, of course. So naturally I had to go see how the old man did a couple times. I missed his one win darn it, but got to a couple of the races and had a great time!

My friend, son and grandson are members of the Southern Dirt Track Association that holds most of the races at Ocala Micro Speedway. This track is right adjacent to Hardrock on the northern border. This year Southern is debuting another track in Fruitland Park (near Leesburg) called Speedway Park.

Anyway this year’s Southern Dirt Track Association season kicks off January 21, 2012 at Ocala Micro Speedway. Gates open at 1PM; Practice Starts at 3PM; Races Start at 5PM…$10 per person.

These are extremely fun events that I highly recommend…very, very Family-Friendly especially when it comes to making it fun for kids. There are a number of classes, including a Dino and some quad classes. A lot of racing; we usually get there where the racing starts and then don’t get out until near midnight. We’ll be going up to the opener to cheer all the riders on. Hey, if you like this sort of stuff or are in the area with nothing to do on a Saturday night of the races, go check it out.

Oh, and while you're at it, stay over and do a little dual sporting in ONF on Sunday.   

Blog Entry

Rain Dances With MiamiMike
Reply with quote  #2 
How do you like your Tenere ?
Bill

Eet Mor Chikin
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD
How do you like your Tenere ?

Fun bike! It’s my first big adventure tourer. These adventure bikes (not just the Tenere) really open up some great riding opportunities and I've got some big plans for it in 2012 including a run up to Alaska. I know this bike will hold up. Whether I will is another question.  

Eet Mor Chikin
Reply with quote  #4 

Southern Dirt Track Association’s debut at Speedway Park in Fruitland Park (near Leesburg) is coming up in a couple weeks…specifically February 11.

Gates open at 1PM, practice starts at 3PM and the racing starts at 5PM. $10 at the gate. We usually roll in around race start times. They usually go until close to midnight depending on how many classes get represented.

If you like this sort of thing, it’s a good show and a good time.   

Declined A Position In The Obama Administration
Reply with quote  #5 
I was really late getting on this thread but just wanted to let you know that I'm a mega flat track fan. Where I grew up here in East TN it was nothing but MX which I love but I never saw a flat track race until the first time I went to bike week in 07. I was totally blown away by the action and lead changes! It's been my favorite type racing ever since. Nice photo's!

They're Always After
Me Lucky Charms!
Reply with quote  #6 
x2

Eet Mor Chikin
Reply with quote  #7 

Southern Dirt Track has a double header this weekend in connection with the Leesburg Bikefest. Saturday, April 28 at Original Speedway Park in Fruitland Park (just outside of Leesburg) and Sunday, April 29 at Marion County Speedway in Ocala (right next to Hardrock).

http://www.southerndirttrackassociation.com/SDTA_Schedule.html

I may go…not sure. I may still be recovering from a 3,285 mile, week-long adventure ride that concluded Monday. 

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!