Upcoming Events

2019 Event Has SOLD OUT IN 25 HOURS!

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote by BlueLghtning
Quote:
Bobby Ginger on the TE450 ended up burrying his bike up to the axles in the soft silty bottom of the creek bed, so it was 3 of us getting him unstuck, but he got it.

RRandy.........Hannahatchee Creek claims another victim!! 

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

wingam00

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #17 
Can not wait on the Pictures!     Now if he had been on a TE449, then he would have had not got stuck, right Tooly?

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
BlueLghtning

Flea Market Next Left...
Reply with quote  #18 
Yeah, he went right down the bank, straight out to the middle, almost over the bars and promptly buried it as he tried to dig himself out.  LOL

I don't know when the last time you guys have went to look at that crossing but man as it changed since the last time I saw it.  Half of the middle island thing is gone and the further bank has about 2-3 ft cliff of sand to climb up now as you exit. 

toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingam00
Can not wait on the Pictures!     Now if he had been on a TE449, then he would have had not got stuck, right Tooly?

That 1 extra cc gave him too much power! The 449 is perfect. 

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #20 
This was kinda scary..................luckily he was OK.

There's only about 12 inches still remaining on the very edge to pass on. If you miss it, it's 4 feet straight down. This section is eroding very quickly now.

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

wingam00

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #21 
I recall that section. Yes it looks and is scary!!

Tooly was you able to ride with them?

toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #22 
Here's another shot of it...........

A couple of the guys actually jumped it!!  They aren't AARP members though!

About a 5 foot wide gap straight up the middle over a 6 foot deep crevice to a rutted landing area. No problemo......

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

wingam00

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #23 
What bikes jumped it? 

Never mind I see the answer -  "Steve on the KTM 450 and Derrick on the black DRZ400 jumped the ravine"

Are these your pictures?

BlueLghtning

Flea Market Next Left...
Reply with quote  #24 
I have video of both Ravine jumps, but I didn't really get the ground in the frame on the KTM guy, so it doesn't look all that impressive. 

However, I had a great view of the DRZ400's jump as I was standing down in the ravine when he went over with the camera going!  Check out my next post.

BlueLghtning

Flea Market Next Left...
Reply with quote  #25 
For those that missed the rutted road on Sunday, let me tell you, its intimidating and every time we get there, its more rutted and less room to get around the big ravine that has formed.  The path most of us take is in the background right up against the wall.  Its pretty safe as long as you just keep your speed up. You basically bank off the wall and then head up the hill trying to stay to the right.  By this point, Steve on the KTM 450 had already jumped the ravine which was pretty impressive, and Bobby Ginger had fallen in the ravine with his TE450 as he tried to scoot along the way, but I wasn't expecting anyone else to jump it.  I'm standing in the ravine with Steve, and you can see Jeff up on top also recording video and we are just getting people as they come by on the leged.  It's over 6 foot deep in places, so definitely not something you want to fall in to. All of a sudden, we hear Derrick DRZDIVER's son coming up fast on the DRZ400 and he jumps right over the ravine with 2 of us standing down in it! :lol3 

We didn't realize that he was about to do this, so catching it all on video was actually just a fluke and glad I had the camera going.  :clap

The Launch

Up goes the front!

Just about to lift off!

We have lift off

Not much to launch up from, so he's actually going down

Looking good though

Right over the ravine

Body position is up and ready for impact!

Touch down!

Suspension is starting to compress

Full rear suspension compression!

Taking the full force of the hit now!

Still looking good!

Front wheel makes contact

And he's landed it!

Not done yet though, one more decent hole to get over!

and he launches off that one!

I'll get the actual video up shortly!  umbup:

BlueLghtning

Flea Market Next Left...
Reply with quote  #26 
Tooly, do you mind if I borrow your pics for BSB, or do you mind posting them up over there!  That's some good pics of the Husky down in the ravine. 

I thought it was going to be worse when I saw him going in, but he actually managed to keep himself out of the bikes way as it went in. 

BlueLghtning

Flea Market Next Left...
Reply with quote  #27 
Here's my synopsis of the 2 days of the ride.

What, can I say, this ride definitely turned out to be an adventure.  I definitely had my hands full with such a large group and pretty diverse set of skill levels.  I think we started with 21 people and 9 people completed the full two days in the main group. :lol3  Well, Drz Z, his FIL & Sanjoh I think followed the route on Sunday, but did in their own smaller group and Bobby Ginger hung with us up until Buena Vista on Sunday. 

Dave and I have done this route a few times now and this by far was the driest its been which meant roads we've been on before that were no issue with traction were now sandy and dusty and roads which had been some sand were even worse.  Like I mentioned earlier, a quick rain shower would have made things so much nicer.  Even dealing with some mud wouldn't have been bad.   

Good thing I can definitely say is I'm become very comfy in the sand.  Its hard to sink in your head, but when you start feeling the bike getting sucked in to the deep sand, you just pin it and hold on.  Those little gerbil's in the WRR go into over drive.    I was amazed when I had to back track on a sand road to find people, I'd see tracks that went from one side of the road to the other and squiggly tracks that went everywhere. :crackup:  I'm sure that's what makes it tougher on the newbies is they already have to attend with sand they aren't comfortable with, but when other's go through and leave tracks, especially crooked tracks, it makes it even tougher. 

Saturday was a long day with the couple crashes and getting Tom picked up, but thankfully it was a shorter mileage day and most of us were able to do the entire route.  Some chose to head into Cuthbert early, and that was fine.  Once you start getting tired, you start making mistakes and getting hurt.

We had 2 crashes on Saturday pretty close to each other before lunch.  We had just started to get into the deep sand roads and Cheryl on the Sherpa went down twice in close succession in the sand and the 2nd time hurt her shoulder bad enough she just wanted to ride on the street and take a break from the sand.  The back of the group had fallen way back because of this, so I ended back tracking trying to find them.  My wife called to tell me what happened and that she was there with them and everyone was fine, but they needed an alternate route into town.  I finally found them and after talking to my wife Sarah who was on the XT225, she wasn't having any fun on the sand either, so she volunteered to lead Bob & Cheryl & Allen into Lumpkin where we were supposed to have lunch.  The group had got pretty split there with most everyone else way up ahead waiting on me, so I had called Dave ahead to say everything was good, just keep everyone there and I'd be back.  Well for some reason, Tom on the TE610 decided to jump on his bike and head back towards me, but he didn't even make it past the first curve where they had stopped and hit a tree pretty good.  I was on my way back to the front of the group and pick up any stragglers I had passed on the way back when I had got the call from Eddie that Tom had crashed and was hurt.  I get up to Tom and realize he's done a number on his chest and isn't going to be riding out of there.  I look on the map and see we are only 10 miles from Buena Vista and call my wife back (thank goodness for BT headsets) and tell her to hold tight in Buena Vista and that I had to figure something out.   In the mean time, I get on the phone to my Dad and get him headed south and then have figure out how to get Tom and his bike to Buena Vista so we can get him out of the sun and cooled down.  I know my wife can ride my WRR in a pinch so I get her to double up with Allen on the KLR and come back to us.  We eventually get Tom on the KLR with me riding him into town, my wife on my WRR, and Allen on Tom's Husky.  It took awhile, but it all worked out and we had Tom headed home with my Dad. 

Overall minus the crashes, it was still a great day on Sat and I think things went fairly well considering the size of the group.  With Saturday being such a workout, I knew a few people probably weren't going to want to participate on Sunday and I really hope they all had a good ride home.  I hate to see anyone leave and not get to enjoy the ride, but then again everyone knows their own limits and when it stops being fun for them.  Cheryl & Bob decided they were just going to trek back on the street.  I knew with things being so dry and no rain over night, the sand was going to be worse on Sunday and it was, so my wife Sarah opted to head back with Gary on Elsinore and Allen on the KLR. I really hated that Sarah wasn't going to be joining us Sunday, but this was her first time back in some serious sand since her bad crash in 2010, so she just wasn't feeling it and probably the best to just work her way back into the sand a little here and there.  Garry's 70's era Elsinore had taken a beating on Saturday and he wasn't sure she was up to another full day of torture so he opted for a street ride back also.  Allen had fun on Sat, but he's pretty new to the off road world and said he was going to enjoy a nice relaxing ride back too.  Dustin really wanted to join us, but he had promised his wife, he'd be home early, so he was doing a street ride back solo.  We had a bunch of the ADV crew still on Sunday plus Dave, Eddie, Kith, SpeedyR, & myself for about a total off 11 riders for Sunday's ride home.  Dr Z, his FIL, & Sanjoh had stayed at someone's house Sat night, so they didn't join us Sunday, but I heard they followed the route and had a good ride on Sunday themselves. We did pick up Tooly from down in Cuthbert for the morning part of the ride, so for a little while we had 12 riders on the way back.  I really hate to see anyone miss the ride, but it sounds like everyone that headed home still enjoyed themselves.  With the smaller group, we also made better time on the way back.  

I was bummed to see we didn't get any rain over night as that meant things were still going to be dry and dusty and they were.  The 2 bridge crossings went fairly well without incident. The rutted out road turned out to be an adventure though.  The small ledge to squeeze by the big ravine has gotten smaller and Bobby Ginger on the Husky 450 took a tumble into the ravine!  I think it took 6 of us to get his bike out.  Steve on the KTM 450 and Derrick on the black DRZ400 jumped the ravine which was pretty dang impressive!  Both of them actually made it look pretty easy.  We had a couple people make the run around the deep ravine only to crash into one of the other small holes up a bit further.  haha.  We have lots of video and pics of that I'm sure we'll get posted.

By the time we got to the half bridge creek crossing, Kith had decided to break off and head home and Dave's sprockets had had it, so he went a different way to later meet back up with us.  He knew that creek crossing was going to be hard with a worn sprocket and good thing because that turned out to be a challenging bit too.  That left about a group of 9 of us.  The creek crossing was looking a bit more difficult than last time, but still very doable.  We had a couple guys take a dirt nap as they went across the far bank, but were fine.  Bobby Ginger on the TE450 ended up burrying his bike up to the axles in the soft silty bottom of the creek bed, so it was 3 of us getting him unstuck, but he got it.  LOL.

We met bike up with Dave and continued on so we were back up to 10.  We did manage to find food in Buene Vista on Sunday, so it was actually nice to grab a bite to eat.  Bobby broke off from there while the rest of us continued on.  We started to find some moisture and even mud around the Dixon trail area and even decided to go back by Tire Iron guy and even found some mud around there.  Thankfully he stayed on his porch this time.   After the covered bridge which is about 20 miles out from Senoia, we suited up for the rain, but it honestly never came down more than just a light drizzle.  Those last few roads were a blast.  Dave tightened his chain about a half dozen times and managed to keep the DR650 going all day.  Derrick on the DRZ400 got to watch me launch off a rock over a rise in the hill going about 60mph and land in the small ditch.  The bike tried to swap ends a few times and then I rode it right out and kept going!  haha 

Overall, Sunday turned out to be a great day we somehow avoided the monsoon that was over Atlanta although I think we would have appreciated some rain for how dry it was.

wingam00

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #28 
GREAT Shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Tooly, do you mind if I borrow your pics for BSB

Dan, feel free to use the pics. 

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

SpeedyR

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #30 
had a great ride with dan and everyone. I figured Toolguy1 was posting somewhere else (saw dan's linked photos) and forgot about this forum.

I wasn't quite sure is steve was actually going to jump it when he said he was going to, but sure enough he did. made it look easy. I had to keep reminding myself on the ride that I wasn't on my 450 when it came time to play and jump stuff and wander around. the 950 just doesn't turn on  a dime or work well leaned over without a few people to help hold it up. I still had fun except for the powder sand sections.

thanks again Dan for leading us on a great ride!

Jeff
950 SE-R
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!