Cross-Florida/X-FL TBD 2020
School Supply Ride Summer 2020
Forest Clean-Up August 2020
Gobbler November 2020

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
BlueLghtning

Flea Market Next Left...
Reply with quote  #1 
Okay, save the date! (April 27th-28th)  It's time to do our 2nd annual S. GA Dual Sport trip. 

I'm hosting a 2 day dual sport ride that will begin and end in Senoia, GA and make it as far south as Cuthbert, GA on Saturday night and then head back north on Sunday.  A good portion of this is similar to what Mark & Mark led earlier this year, but there is some more good stuff north of Talbotton too.  I started this on our local forum on Bloke's, but I wanted to include you guy's also - http://www.blokessportbike.com/showthread.php?t=62968

I have a FB event page setup too - https://www.facebook.com/events/556958427677852/

You have over 2 weeks to make plans for this epic trip! We should have a good turnout and enjoy a great time with friends. We will be going rain or shine as long as there's no "Severe Weather". We will be meeting up in Senoia on Saturday morning and heading towards Cuthbert, GA to ride a dual sport loop over 2 days. We should have plenty of time to hang out and enjoy dinner with friends after Saturday's ride before the ride home the next day, plus make the ride home enjoyable and give people plenty of time to get back home after they get back to their truck trailer or their ride home from Senoia.  We'll be staying in Cuthbert, GA at the Days Inn Saturday evening.

This route has some more challenging sections involved so a smaller DS bike (650cc or less single cylinder) is definitely favorable. Any large multi-cylinder dual sport bike is going to be a handful in certain places, and very much a workout if its muddy!  Weather and road conditions will play a huge role on how difficult some of these S. GA roads can be.  If its dry, its mostly just some sand to contend with although one of the creek crossings is a bit more on the challenging side, even for a big bike. There are some of you that handle larger DS bikes fine off road and you know who you are, but please don't show up on a fully loaded GS Adventure, Vstrom, S10 etc with street tires and expect to have a good time.  Knobby tires are a must, especially if its muddy.

Tentative Logistics

[U]Sat Morning Meeting[/B]
Meeting Date: April 27th, 2013
Meeting Spot: Flash Foods Gas Station at the corner of GA 85 & GA 16 in Senoia GA - Map.  There is a McDonalds hooked to the gas station.
Meeting Time: 8:00am
Departure Time: 8:30am

For those that need to trailer to somewhere near the starting area, we have a member Dave in Peachtree City (PTC) that has lots of room at his storage facility to park trucks/trailers and then just a short ride over to Senoia.  This is Dave's place in PTC.  Ez Storage.  Please contact me if you'd like to park your truck/trailer there.

It's 8.9/9.6 miles from the EZ-Storage to the meet spot depending on if you cut through downtown Senioa.  If you are a "Walking Dead" fan, Senoia is where the town of Woodburry is portrayed in the show so you can see the town as you do in the show!  Map Link - http://goo.gl/maps/fMrCi

Most fuel stops are 60-100 miles, but please be prepared to cover up to 125 miles or so between fuel stops.  I'm aiming for each day to be about 175 miles or so.  The group will consist of all kinds of skill levels so as long as you are comfortable riding off road, you should be fine.  There will be plenty of chances for the faster guys to get out front and play, but don't worry, we won't be leaving anyone behind.  You are expected to have the necessary spare tube/tire repair tools for your bike and the necessary tools to remove either of your wheels if needed.  We should have plenty of tools between all of us and definitely plenty of knowledge to help you out, but please at least have the tools to take off your wheels or get under your seat if needed.   We will be on the street so tagged & insured street legal bikes are a must.  

Food/Restaurant availability on Sunday is basically non-existent since its so rural where we'll be riding, so be prepared to just snack all day or eat gas station type food when we stop for gas.  I do suggest carrying a camel back with water or bottled water and snacks for breaks we take on the trail. 

Route & Tracks
This is what we have so far! 

[B]Going to have an Epic trip![/U] (Updated on 4/15/13 at 23:15)
  1. GypsyAngel (Sarah) - XT225
  2. BlueLghtning (Dan) - WR250R
  3. Red Sand - WR250R
  4. SVT (Eddie) - WR250R
  5. Mr Twisty (Mike) - KTM450/DRZ400
  6. Jarvis (Bob) - KTM450
  7. Steve (Speedy's friend) - KTM450
  8. HuskyDuck (Tom) - TE610
  9. Wera688 (Kith) - DR650
  10. Dave (Dave) - DR650
  11. RoadRashed (Dustin) - DR650
  12. Jordan (Jordan) - DR650
  13. Chris_D (ADV) - DR650
  14. Bryce (Bryce) - KLR650
  15. Lumchuck (Allen) - KLR650
  16. ke4yyq (Benny) - KLR650
  17. Whorepedo (Terry) - XT660
  18. Speedy (Jeff) - KTM 950SE
  19. Flux (Mark) - KTM 950ADV

The route will be similar to this, but starting a but further north.

A small group of us that did a similar trip last year

BlueLghtning

Flea Market Next Left...
Reply with quote  #2 
[U]Days inn Cuthbert GA - Reservation info[/B]

Okay, I have contacted the Days Inn in Cuthbert and spoke to Garry (229) 732-5566. I gave him the name "Heming Motorcycle Group".  You can call up and make your own reservation and find someone to split a room with. He agreed to a rate of $54.xx and some change.  Please no one go cleaning off their bikes or gear with the hand towels. He made a big deal about this and wanted to charge extra for hand towels.  Maybe throw a towel or two in your bag that you can just throw away if you want to clean anything for any reason.   

I went ahead and just reserved a King bed for Sarah & I.  Its not a huge Days Inn, so I would go ahead and call and reserve a room to make sure you have one.     

I also called Village Pizza (229) 732-2002 and told them we'd have a large group coming Saturday night.  Their hours are 4-9pm Sat and they are less than 2 miles from the hotel. umbup

BlueLghtning

Flea Market Next Left...
Reply with quote  #3 
Just a few pics from the Cuthbert Loop on various rides.

Rutted road down to a creek crossing

The first creek crossing might look like this

Or it could look like this!

Some easier roads like this

Some that might be a little more trickier

Knobbies definitely help!

Some very scenic picture opportunities!

We'll have a few interesting bridge crossings

County maintained roads!

Only a little drainage problem!

This is Dave and he's not ducking here either! 

Don't think we are crossing that?

But there is a way around!

If you start doing the Gangnam dance, you might get left behind!  

toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #4 
Who would've thought that Cuthbert would turn into a "destination"?  

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

BlueLghtning

Flea Market Next Left...
Reply with quote  #5 
Haha, I know right.

Tooley, did you get my e-mail?  I was wanting to see if you wanted to join us.  I could use someone else that "knows" most of the route.  

rabbitrandy

I Just Got A Letter From AARP....
Reply with quote  #6 
Watch the creek crossing at the washed out bridge.

It will turn you into a DUMB ASS.

TEAM DUMB-ASS [member#001]
TEAM SMART-ASS

A good rider has balance, judgment, and timing.......so does a good wife.

Randy and Robin West

Growing Bolder not Older

'03 GL 1800
'01 DRZ 400

I like slow walks on the beach & poking at dead things with a stick.
toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #7 
Dan, I sent you a PM.
Tooly

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

BlueLghtning

Flea Market Next Left...
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitrandy
Watch the creek crossing at the washed out bridge. It will turn you into a DUMB ASS.

Haha, so I've heard.  

I'm really looking forward to that crossing.  We'll be hitting that Sunday AM so it should be interesting.  LOL

kawazukimaha

Good, Bad, and Ugly
Reply with quote  #9 
Hey Dan!
Hope You and Two Tracks (Dave) and others have a good ride.
The mistake at the creek crossing is swinging wide. As soon as
you get in the water turn hard left, go upstream a bit then cross
to the incline. RabbitRandy went wide and found the silt bed and
throttled his way to the top of the rear wheel in 2.5 seconds.

01 Suzuki DR-Z250
06 Triumph Tiger
96 Yamaha XT225 (Mel's bike she doesn't ride)
79 XS650F Rode it from 1985 to 94 Needs TLC
75 DT250B Since I was 19 

"Life Changing is when you no longer have a Bike"
BlueLghtning

Flea Market Next Left...
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawazukimaha
Hey Dan!
Hope You and Two Tracks (Dave) and others have a good ride.
The mistake at the creek crossing is swinging wide. As soon as
you get in the water turn hard left, go upstream a bit then cross
to the incline. RabbitRandy went wide and found the silt bed and
throttled his way to the top of the rear wheel in 2.5 seconds.

Thanks, me too. 

That's good to know.  I had thought about cutting through that area last time since it didn't look deep, but I guess its pretty silty there.  

BlueLghtning

Flea Market Next Left...
Reply with quote  #11 
Okay, so I have Saturday all mapped out.  - 155 miles

1st leg from Senoia to Talbotton is 64.3 miles.   Gas for those that need to get it
Interesting bits include the Covered Bridge in Gay, some good dirt south of Shiloh, and the Dixon Trail (Goat Trail), and of course lots of good dirt roads.

2nd Leg from Talbotton to Lumpkin is 65.4 miles.  Probably gas for everyone.
We'll get lunch and split between 2 places. Snooky's or 4 way BBQ
Interesting bits will be Scenic Train shot, Creek Crossing, RR crossing jump with no warning and lots more good dirt roads.  

3rd Leg is from Lumpkin to Cuthbert Days Inn is 25 miles.  I might have an optional 25-35 mile loop to add in for those that don't wish to head right to the hotel after lunch and want to put in a few more miles.  

Snooky's is a Country kitchen where you pick a meat or 2, veggies, drink and desert from what they have prepared that day.  

4 Way BBQ - Menu

wingam00

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #12 
Wish I could make it but have to move my daughter that weekend.

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
BlueLghtning

Flea Market Next Left...
Reply with quote  #13 
I have Sunday all mapped out.  I'm going to try to get the files shared out here by tomorrow.  I have the routes, but now need to create the tracks.  

The 1st section is 98 miles.  It takes us from Cuthbert to Buena Vista and has all the good stuff in it.  Small water crossing, the funky bridges, the Rutted road, some seriously fun sand roads, the half bridge, more fun roads, and the loop with the water breaks.  We'll also catch the 1st water crossing from day 1 going back most likely.   That well probably take us to about noon or so to complete that first 100 miles.  We'll gas up in Buena Vista, find some food and drinks to snack on.

The next section is from Buena Vista to Senoia and is about 87 miles.  There's a possibility we might come across a gas station to stop at, but since its shorter than the 1st section, everyone should be able to make it.  I shortened up the route to keep it at 185 which isn't bad.  There is a part where if anyone is in a hurry, they can just jump on hwy 85 and head back to Senoia probably cutting off about an hour or so.

I'm looking forward to this weekend and it should be a blast! 

wingam00

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #14 
If you stop at the 4 Way BBQ, you can use my private parking spot and my personal table. Tell them "Mark" said HELLO!

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
BlueLghtning

Flea Market Next Left...
Reply with quote  #15 
Okay, I have the routes and tracks.  Even if you can't join us this weekend, maybe you'll get the chance to ride this route in the future!  It's a blast and well worth doing. 

First time I'm trying this Google Docs, so let me know if this works

I went ahead and filtered the tracks down under 500pts so pretty much any GPS that handles saved tracks should be able to load them.  

I'm not sure how the GPX files will load as far as routes are concerned, but if you load the GDB files and re-calc the routes for your map version, there are a few places they will change where roads don't exist, but you can always fix it with a direct route.  The calculated routes were done with City Nav 2011.2.  

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!