Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
forum logo

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

Devil's Creek Dual Sport, Feb 28, 29, March 3 2020. Sold Out in 11 Hours!

Cross-Florida AMA National Adventure Ride April 4 & 5, 2020

Forest Clean-Up August 2020
Gobbler November 2020

Author   Comment  
swampy

Reply with quote  #1 
So today I had to go to Safety Harbor for a roll-out party with my company. Yea. I know. Tough stuff ain't it.

So I wheeled the BMW outa the garage and took off south to Pinellas... about 40 minutes later I pulled into the park.

Now I'm not gonna bore you with party pictures from a bunch of IT people whooping it up, so let's cut right to the chase, shall we...

I did a little research on the park before I went and it has quite a surprise history!

So I motor through the park looking for something... okay I passed it and had to turn around...

Odette Phillipe's grave marker! Until yesterday I had no clue who Odette Phillipe was... well... he was a surgeon in Napolean's Army...

...He came over on his boat in 1864...

...and...

That was interesting... but now on to site #2 in the park...

...the whole park borders Tampa Bay so there's always a view...

...and now Site #2: Tocobaga Temple Mound!

Those crafty early natives new a good spot when they saw one. There's a bunch of mounds on both coasts that are by major bodies of water...

... and look... it's a federally protected historic site!

...and... here's the view from the top of the mound...

So...

While it's off the beaten path for most folks, if you live in Pinellas County, chances are you've never been here.

Visit the park, relax, maybe do a little fishin'...

Then head on down the road into Safety harbor for a quick bite and a cold beverage!

Just How Many Barricades
DOES Bob Have?
Reply with quote  #2 
Swampy,

I am fortunate to live 2 minutes from the park.  It is a hidden gem in Pinellas County.  The history of the area is  really interesting and the park itself is a beautiful place.  My wife and I bicycle there all the time.  After the park you can head downtown to Brady's BBQ or Green Springs restaurant, both great places to eat.  I am off to Brady's for a beer as soon as I am done typing.  Cheers.

Jerry

Jerry Detz
11' KTM 990 ADV-R
08' KTM 450 EXC-R Plated

"Riding, Mediocrity, and Excessive Alcohol can help all attain a full and rewarding life." ......TEAM WANKER
Drt_Boy

DDS LifeTime Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Don't forget the great breakfast at the Paradise cafe; been there for years.  In fact, we met for breakfast there last Sunday before a street ride. 

That little hill next to the marker (second photo) is a great place to teach new riders clutch control.  I've taught several people right on that spot.

Pinellas county has many little out-of-the-way parks, too.

DB

'14 Honda MSX125 Grom
'99 Aprilia SR50
DRIVER

Reply with quote  #4 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryIUP
  After the park you can head downtown to Brady's BBQ or Green Springs restaurant, both great places to eat.  I am off to Brady's for a beer as soon as I am done typing.  Cheers.

Jerry

Brady's BBQ ?  Did somebody say Brady's BBQ?  MMMMMM, good stuff ... be sure to try the Cornbread Pudding.  I ate there last Weds. night with a buddy who lives a couple of blocks from it and never say no when invited.  Recommended !

Mike
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!