**RESCHEDULED**
AMA/Honda Cross-Florida National Adventure Ride
New Date: November 7 & 8, 2020

Forest Clean-Up Seoptember 2020

Author   Comment  
dredman

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #1 
I have a project I would like to start, mapping great trails in the state, if anyone with that knowledge would like to get involved.  I think it could turn into something big, but even if it does not, it should be better than what we have at this point.  I was hoping for something similar to this:

http://bamarides.com/roads/the-best-motorcycle-roads-and-trips-in-alabama/

Just started this a few weeks ago, and have had some real positive response so far, so I thought a few of you guys might be interested in helping to map out a few of the trails/roads/rides you guys are into.

I have a tremendous amount of flexibility with ideas, so let's hear them.

PM or email me if you are interested, or have any other ideas that may make a better project.

-Don

EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #2 
Go Don.. I'd love to se some of the results. It would get me motivated to come up and ride more often.
Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
dredman

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #3 
glad to hear some interest Bert, I would certainly like to learn some great rides myself.  I have not found my dual sport yet, but when I do I wanna hit some trails.

The FZ is just not working out for me off road?

haknslash

RESET? There was a Reset?
Reply with quote  #4 

I'll start I guess.

I'm also looking for any fire roads and forest trails so if anyone knows of any please post up!

• Location: Mapquest Cherry Hill Road/Alabaster/35007 or Park Forest, Alabaster,35007. If entering off Cherry Hill Rd. just go down the gravel road about a 1/4 mile just past some of the homes on the left and you will see the trail entrance just past on the left. If entering from the Park Forest neighborhood just enter the street and go all the way to the back. Please be mindful of residents and kids in the area!!!
  • Public or private land? I think most of the trails are on public land but there are some areas where it dumps into neighborhoods, by the bottom hill of the Flying "X" ranch/gliders or by the Maylene limestone rock quarry that are posted "private property". When entering the neighborhoods or riding down Cherry Hill Rd. please be mindful of the residents. I don't want my local riding area killed by people acting like idiots in front of the people that live by the trails!!!
  • Description of terrain: gravel, sand, rocks, some light/medium ruts, a couple of mud patches out of seemingly nowhere, hard pack. Really a good variety when its not dry. Unfortunately its pretty dry right now. Berms in some areas, camping areas, swamp ponds.
  • Estimate of mileage: approx. 9 miles of trails to play in plus a couple of dirt play grounds in the surrounding area neighborhoods that in undeveloped/abandoned project housing areas.
  • Difficulty: 1/5 in most areas I guess for dedicated DS/dirt bikes. Depends on the bike I suppose. My buddy with a Vstrom was working hard so I'm sure he might rate it differently (maybe 3/5 for him haha). Some of the areas off the "main" trail do go into rocky and rutted out areas so be mindful and pick your line.
Some videos I've taken on these trails can be found on my vimeo account http://vimeo.com/user1782843/videos

Here is a little rough plot I've been working on for these trails. Basically you really can't get lost out here as most are "T's" or dump into neighborhoods that would put you back onto the road or trail.

Not much for crazy elevation but there is a little.

dredman

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #5 
well I will get started then.

I dig those videos man

thanks

-don

nightowl

Hey! You're Blinker's On!
Reply with quote  #6 
Have you gotten anywhere with this? I am going to try it is Tuscaloosa Country and then work my way out.

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #7 
You do know that this post is over 4 years old and dredman has not been on the site since 09/07/2013.

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!