Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
forum logo

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

Devil's Creek Dual Sport, Feb 28, 29, March 3 2020. Sold Out in 11 Hours!

Cross-Florida AMA National Adventure Ride April 4 & 5, 2020

Forest Clean-Up August 2020
Gobbler November 2020

Author   Comment  
DRIVER

Reply with quote  #1 
Looking to spice up a route from Clearwater to SE Alabama I found a chance to visit something I had read about but never bothered to find.

You'll have to suffer through horrible roads like this to get there.

Soon you will arrive at what is a hidden historical spot in Florida's history.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/naturalbridge/

http://www.exploresouthernhistory.com/nbindex.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Natural_Bridge

Since it's hard to read the inscription, here is what is written:

This monument erected under authority of an act of the legislature of Florida in 1921 as a just tribute of the people of Florida to commemorate the victory of the Battle Of The Natural Bridge.  March 6, 1865.  And to keep in cherished memory those brave men and boys who, in the hour of sudden danger, pushed from home, desk and field and from the West Florida Seminary and joining a few disciplined troops by their united valor and patrician saved their capital from the invaders.  Tallahassee being the only capital of the south not captured by the enemy during the War Between The States.

So if you are cruising around the Tallahassee area be sure to stop and check it out.  History is being erased from our country left and right due to growth.  Just recently this area was listed as one of the top 10 endangered historical areas in the US.  Luckily attention was brought to it and the State Of Florida stepped up and took steps to preserve the surrounding area.   Good move !!!

And of course if you happen to ride there ... bonus points are earned.

Mike

kawazukimaha

Good, Bad, and Ugly
Reply with quote  #2 
Mike:

Thanks for the Florida History lesson! You must have used the Yellow/Green Lantern to find your way. Hehehe.
Surely there must be more.

Ride Safe.

01 Suzuki DR-Z250
06 Triumph Tiger
96 Yamaha XT225 (Mel's bike she doesn't ride)
79 XS650F Rode it from 1985 to 94 Needs TLC
75 DT250B Since I was 19 

"Life Changing is when you no longer have a Bike"
DRIVER

Reply with quote  #3 
After collecting almost every bug in the areas I rode through (it was an 800+ mile cruise) I'm starting to think I need to unplug "the jacket" when I ride. 

It's power of attraction is not lost on buzzards either.  But that's another story.

Mike
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #4 
Sweet little ride you had there Mike. I've noticed natural bridge and wanted to stop but never made it. Maybe your little report will push me over the edge on our next journey into Georgia.
Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!