Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
forum logo

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

Devil's Creek Dual Sport, Feb 28, 29, March 3 2020. Sold Out in 11 Hours!

Cross-Florida AMA National Adventure Ride April 4 & 5, 2020

Forest Clean-Up August 2020
Gobbler November 2020

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
jakbrand

Reply with quote  #16 
When I saw Tooly coated in mud I assumed he slipped on Mississippi marbles and splashed into a ditch.   [bikecrash]

[i-N48LFcm-L]

How to describe infamous Mississippi marbles?

Imagine a veneer of round river gravel spread loosely over a hard clay road base with a high crown.  None of the round pebbles are imbedded into the clay so it gives the sensation of riding on marbles.  Compound the marble effect with every left turn being off camber and you experience auto-drift at any speed.  [funfun]

Reply with quote  #17 
This was the maiden voyage for the 690, so I was not familiar with her little demands, especially ABS.  Let's just say we had a rough time getting to know each other.  [duel]  However, I can't think of a better place to get acquainted with the 690 than the back roads of the Mississippi Hill Country Tour.  [thumb]

[i-xFfrzsd-L] 

KTM 690 Alaska Adventure Edition

I farkled this bike specifically for a month long tour across Alaska next summer.  Most of the proposed route consists of gravel roads so wanted a relatively light weight but powerful dual sport bike.  I needed decent suspension to ride off-road to reach scenic overlooks and  remote campsites.  As good as the 690 seemed to fit my needs, it had a few deficiencies for adventure riding. 

The stock three gallon gas tank was too small, so I bolted on Rally Raid fuel tanks for a total of six gallons.  That should give me about 250 to 300 miles maximum range. 

Next, grip heaters were added because I hear Alaska is cold.  I clicked on the grip heaters during Day 2 and Day 3.  What a luxury.  No more frozen fingers!

I like to stand up and ride so bar risers are necessary.

The stock exhaust and catalytic converter weighs twelve pounds and melts everything that touches it.  I swapped it with a three pound Wings exhaust with quiet insert.  Wings exhaust doesn't change the power or noise level and it's more compact than stock.

Finally, I wired on a USB port for powering electronics.

If I can adapt to ABS, then I think this might be the beginning of a long relationship.

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Tooly has two tiny packs on his bike.  Since he never changed clothes, and at every stop he was eating, I assume all the packs all were filled with food.

Filled with food and MSR bottles full of gas since I had the smallest gas tank in the group. Unlike Swampy I'm not a pusher. [augie]

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #19 
Now on to the catfish eatin'..........Jakbrand had been telling us there was a restaurant near our cabin. Country Catfish I believe was the name and the catfish were fantastic as were the sides. I'm not usually a big fan of catfish but these are perfectly seasoned and prepared fillets with none of the "muddy" flavor that I associate with catfish. Dan and I enjoyed a FULL meal while Jack ate one full meal and then went back for seconds. I don't know where he put it all...........LOL

[image]

With our bellies full we motor to the cabin for a well deserved rest........

[100_1159]

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

Dan

Free Beer Tommorrow!
Reply with quote  #20 
Of course, before we get to the cabin, there is always time for a little SMARTASSERY, and defacing of public property.  
[teamsmartass]
After all, nobody noticed the guy riding a four wheeler down the middle of the road, oblivious to anything behind him,while chugging a 40 out of a brown paper bag. Who is going to notice my little sticker?
[mississippihillcountrytour003_zps1adc40a8] 

Free Beer Tommorrow!
Reply with quote  #21 
Tooly and I grab a beer.............
[mississippihillcountrytour010_zpscd317ce4] 

Free Beer Tommorrow!
Reply with quote  #22 
While Jack takes a selfie of his .........................
I don't know, he spends too much time out in the desert I think!
[mississippihillcountrytour009_zps62b8f01e] 

Reply with quote  #23 
We clicked more than 200 miles to our cabin at Enid Lake.  Day 1 would have been longer but dusk was fast approaching and we opted for the catfish cut-off.  [eat]

[i-5KWVtdH-L]

Team Smartass strikes  [teamsmartass]

[i-rxCtDM8-L] 

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
While Jack takes a selfie of his .........................
I don't know, he spends too much time out in the desert I think!
[mississippihillcountrytour009_zps62b8f01e] 

I think he had to undo his pants after eating all those dang catfish, hushpuppies and onion rings, for a slender fellow he sure can eat! [augie]

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #25 
Up before the sun on day 2 and eager to ride. 255 miles ahead of us today through Holly Springs National Forest. We leave the cabin as the first rays of sunlight are peeking over the horizon. The route takes us across the dam at Enid Lake just in time for a sunrise photo op. Here Dan and Jakbrand set up for the shot...........

[100_1152]

[100_1153]

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #26 
Tooly....Who's that with the  "Jack" O Lantern costume on? Did you guys take in a Halloween party your not telling us about? 

[100_1142]

[halloween-pumpkin-costume]

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #27 
Well it is October plus the fact that Jakbrand bleeds orange............LOL

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

jakbrand

Reply with quote  #28 
Dan soaking in the sunrise at Enid Lake on Day 2.

[i-cT4gkpZ-L] 

Reply with quote  #29 
Wear blaze orange during hunting season.  [deal]

Bert,

You would have enjoyed MHCT.

Hopefully you completed the fiscal year on time and under budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbarDP48
Tooly....Who's that with the  "Jack" O Lantern costume on? Did you guys take in a Halloween party your not telling us about? 

[halloween-pumpkin-costume]

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #30 
We leave Enid Lake and in no time find ourselves in Batesville, Ms. With the warning from Jakbrand that there's no planned lunch stop today on the route he prepared, we pull into the Cracker Barrel for a hearty country style "stick to your ribs" type breakfast. [eat]

[100_1154]

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!