Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
forum logo

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

Devil's Creek Dual Sport, Feb 28, 29, March 3 2020. Sold Out in 11 Hours!

Cross-Florida AMA National Adventure Ride April 4 & 5, 2020

Forest Clean-Up August 2020
Gobbler November 2020

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 5      1   2   3   4   Next   »
jakbrand

Reply with quote  #1 
Mississippi Hill Country Tour ride report begins Saturday.

Tooly, Dan and Jakbrand dual sport 700 miles of back roads through the land of kudzu and cotton.

[i-RjPxkF4-L]

Does This Bike
Make My Butt Look Fat?
Reply with quote  #2 
  What is this waiting until Saturday stuff ?    [aaarg]

Foreplay ?

Truth be told my wife makes me wait until Saturday too.
jakbrand

Reply with quote  #3 
I'm lazy.  [teamsmartass]

Speaking of TSA...we witnessed evidence of Team Smartass claiming patches of kudzu in Mississippi.

Andy?????

Good, Bad, and Ugly
Reply with quote  #4 
When I see Kudzu and Cotton, I know I am HOME![kickback]

01 Suzuki DR-Z250
06 Triumph Tiger
96 Yamaha XT225 (Mel's bike she doesn't ride)
79 XS650F Rode it from 1985 to 94 Needs TLC
75 DT250B Since I was 19 

"Life Changing is when you no longer have a Bike"
toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #5 
OK, let's see what Sam Correro (the creator of the Trans-America Trail) has laid out for us in this route that he calls the Mississippi Hill Country Trail.

[100_1143]

A few months back Jakbrand received the maps and roll charts from which we created GPS files for the ride. We trimmed the route slightly as the southern end near Glucksdt is mainly paved and we were eager to hit dirt quickly. This is typically a 2 day ride thru Mississippi on as much dirt as possible but having to travel this far we wanted to add an additional day of riding fun. Jakbrand sat down and worked out another full day of riding in and around Holly Springs National Forest. 

The next step was to come up with viable dates, so we tried to time it to hit the "fall colors" and cool temps of autumn. Unfortunately on that aspect we failed as we were about a week too early for the colors but the temps were absolutely perfect.

Dan (aka.....Dan) came on board with us to round out the group so now the only thing left was the waiting for the launch date of Oct 17th. Watching the weather forecast prior to leaving it couldn't have been any better, cool and no chance for rain the entire time. [thumb] 

Dan and Jakbrand carpool from Florida and I drive from Ga to meet up in Forest, Mississippi at the Holiday Inn Express.............
[IMG_0451]

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

jakbrand

Reply with quote  #6 

Dan and I eventually trucked the bikes out of Florida (after a few wrong turns) and celebrated true southern culture at a soul food buffet in Saraland, Alabama.   I stuffed myself with barbecue ribs, barbecue chicken, barbecue beans, barbecue other stuff, rutabagas, yams, greens, okra and pumpkin pie.  At J. Rodgers Bar-B-Que "it's all good".... even the prices.

[i-b3WHZ5p-L] 

We rendezvoused with Tooly Friday evening in Forest, Mississippi eager to trade transport for dual sport.

[i-6HThzxx-L]   

After a filling breakfast at Waffle House Saturday morning we ditched the trucks at Roosevelt State Park where they would be securely parked for the next three days.  From Roosevelt State Park we cruised a few miles on pavement to cross Barnett Reservoir and historic Natchez Trace to begin the official route of Mississippi Hill Country.

[i-ZfgP9pw-L]

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #7 
After our short trek from Forest to Roosevelt State Park we quickly unload the motos and ready them for the 200 plus mile ride that awaited us today. Jack would use this ride to shakedown his new KTM 690 that he will be taking on an epic adventure next summer.

[100_1142]

Tooly's ride.............

[100_1144]

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #8 
And we're off..........motoring down some pristine backroads thru the heart of Mississippi. Lunch would be a quick roadside stop and whatever you could pull from your saddlebags. Kinda like a Bertride........LOL

[100_1146]
The good news was Jakbrand had already planned a great supper for us today and it would prove to be well worth the wait!

Jakbrand makes some last minute "adjustments" before we mount up to move on.......Dan just looks away.

[100_1145]

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

Dan

Free Beer Tommorrow!
Reply with quote  #9 
You know you are not in Florida any more when you pull up to a stop sign on a paved road, get off the bike, have a snack, check your GPS, and take a picture without ever seeing a car go by!
[mississippihillcountrytour001_zps1fa6d775] 

Free Beer Tommorrow!
Reply with quote  #10 
Tooly has two tiny packs on his bike.  Since he never changed clothes, and at every stop he was eating, I assume all the packs all were filled with food.

[mississippihillcountrytour004_zps0284c6cf] 

Free Beer Tommorrow!
Reply with quote  #11 
Jack on his 690, now has full size panniers.  Before heading out he is looking around the house for more stuff he can use to fill up the space.
[mississippihillcountrytour005_zpsa14b01a7] 

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #12 
As we ride along the sea of green kudzu becomes more and more prevalent. In some areas it even tries to overtake the roadways............

[100_1149]

The rock covered dirt roads present their own challenges. Lots of slippin' and slidin' going on. LOL

Dan rides a dirt road thru the kudzu fields and if you look closely you can see the "Mississippi marbles" that are covering the road............

[100_1150]

Jakbrand motors the KTM down a single lane road.

[100_1165]

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

Dan

Free Beer Tommorrow!
Reply with quote  #13 
[mississippihillcountrytour006_zpsb04a56a3] 

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #14 
Our destination for the night was a cabin Jakbrand had reserved for us at Cossar State Park.

[100_1162]

But we still had some riding to do before the day was done. I was riding in the back of the pack most of the day and trying to dodge the hail of "marbles" coming from the new back tire Dan had mounted on his DRz. A Gatling gun doesn't have the lethal firepower of Dan's DRz. In an attempt to stay out of the "line of fire" I was riding slightly behind and just to the left of Dan. This would prove to be a nasty mistake as we come over a slight rise in the road and Dan's only line available to him at 40 MPH was directly thru the middle of three deep mudholes. We hadn't seen any mud all day, until now. The next thing I knew everything went black as the tidal wave of mud covered me...........LOL

Since Jack and Mark have GPS routes and I don't, I position myself between the two.  If I loose sight of Jack, Mark can direct me the right way.  Mark, trying to stay out of my roost, rides a little to my left, just behind me.  As it turns out, there was only one mud hole on the entire route.  I came over a rise and there were three potholes in a row right in front of me.  I got my butt off the seat and centered them.  To my surprise, they were about a foot deep each.  Also to Mark's surprise........... he got a mud bath!  I didn't know he got hit until we stopped at the next intersection.  I looked back and saw him covered in mud!  I said "I am so sorry............. that I didn't see you get drenched!"  LOL!  I offered to run him through the next car wash we came to.

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

kawazukimaha

Good, Bad, and Ugly
Reply with quote  #15 
Take it from a native Mississippian, there's always MUD in Mississippi.[oldman]

01 Suzuki DR-Z250
06 Triumph Tiger
96 Yamaha XT225 (Mel's bike she doesn't ride)
79 XS650F Rode it from 1985 to 94 Needs TLC
75 DT250B Since I was 19 

"Life Changing is when you no longer have a Bike"
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!