**RESCHEDULED**
AMA/Honda Cross-Florida National Adventure Ride
New Date: November 7 & 8, 2020

Forest Clean-Up Seoptember 2020

Author   Comment  
DIRTDONK

Flea Market Next Left...
Reply with quote  #1 
So, I have a 06 DR650, pretty rough, well rough as sandpaper, and I have been fixing one thing at a time. New front tire and brake pads. Along the way I noticed someone had broken one of the bolts at the bottom of the right fork leg and bent a second one. The are the 4 studs that hold the axel in place and have 10mm nuts on them.
What to do?

Will the studs spin out of the fork leg to be replaced?

Are they right hand threaded when put in at the factory?  Super Glued?

I am in a holding pattern, have sprayed penetrating fluid and heated them a couple times but have not tried spining them off.
Anyone have experience w/ these things?

Reply with quote  #2 
normal righty tighty lefty loosy.....

BONGO!
Reply with quote  #3 
They should come right out...double nut the stud to remove. Another trick I have heard of is heat the Stud & take a birthday candle...melt the wax into the thread & then remove. The candle wax will act as lubricant.
Good luck

KTM 300XC, KTM 1190R, 1988 KTM 350, Sherco 3.0 Trials, 79 Husky 390WR, Honda XR650R, Honda Grom, Apollo Pitbike,   Tony Shifter Kart .TEAM WANKER...Only Pussy's die of natural causes! Member of the Solo Mile High Club! Check out Team Wanker on Facebook!
DIRTDONK

Flea Market Next Left...
Reply with quote  #4 
No threads on the broken one? I'll keep trying, maybe, time to get a better kind of Vise Grip?

BONGO!
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTDONK
No threads on the broken one? I'll keep trying, maybe, time to get a better kind of Vise Grip?

Pull the Fork & stop by a engineering shop....they'll get out way faster & you can get back to riding .....

KTM 300XC, KTM 1190R, 1988 KTM 350, Sherco 3.0 Trials, 79 Husky 390WR, Honda XR650R, Honda Grom, Apollo Pitbike,   Tony Shifter Kart .TEAM WANKER...Only Pussy's die of natural causes! Member of the Solo Mile High Club! Check out Team Wanker on Facebook!
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #6 
Worst case try these on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DR650-Front-Forks-/140839610098?forcev4exp=true  $299

Here is a set for $86
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Forks-lower-triple-clamp-DR650-suzuki-kickstart-only-90-95-/110945876245?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d4e3b915&vxp=mtr

Or $99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DR650-DR-650-S-DR650S-650S-Front-Forks-Suspension-Shocks-/120971686866?forcev4exp=true

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
CopOut

This One Time,
When I Was Flying A Blimp
Over Italy....
Reply with quote  #7 
A little food for thought with a suggestion. Depending on how much of the stud is exposed or available to grab with a good vise grip pliers, you might can take a small torch (commonly known as a pencil torch, is what I would recommend) and heat the steel stud. Do not try to turn it, the reason I as this is, what you are trying to do is break the oxidation of dis-similar metals and the heat will do that, but it will also cause expansion. Aluminum will transfer heat faster than steel and will cool faster as well and in theory will make the stud tighter in the hole. Wait until it cools before attempting to turn it, it never hurts to also apply copious amounts of penetrating oil during the cooling process. I do not mean to get it cherry red hot, but enough heat to sizzle water if it were to touch it. Aluminum will melt at a lower temp than steel and you don't want to do either. The idea is to break the metal chemical bond with the heat and expansion.

On another note, if the stud is twisted off to low to get any tools on it, you can use a die grinder with a small cut off wheel and grind a slit in the top of the stud to use a flat blade screwdriver. You can then attempt to turn it after the above heating process mentioned above.

Good Luck!

Paul

DIRTDONK

Flea Market Next Left...
Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks for the great tips.  I have been heating the bolt, using penetrating oil, and have enough bolt to attach vise grips. No luck yet but I'll try some more. Of course buying the fork legs and just swaping the whole thing may be faster and easier. DDS members are the best. I'll let you all know what happens next.

Flea Market Next Left...
Reply with quote  #9 
OK, after heat/lube treatments, and a new set of quality vise grips from Sears. The stud came out pretty easily. finding a new stud more difficult, so I got a bolt w/ 6mm thread and used that in place of the stud.
Thanks for all your help!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!