Upcoming Events

25th Devil's Creek 2021: March 5, 6 & 7 2021

**RESCHEDULED**
AMA/Honda Cross-Florida National Adventure Ride
New Date: November 7 & 8, 2020

Forest Clean-Up Seoptember 2020

Author   Comment  
rjohnson

I know McPush, and you Sir, are no McPush!
Reply with quote  #1 

Having graduated one from college and one from High School, my wife and I decided it was time to skip town and get a little time in for ourselves.

We pulled out a map, looked at the calendar, and decided on the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Great motorcycling roads, great moonshine… What else could you ask for? We loaded the bikes (ZG1000 and KLR 650) and we hauled our butts up to a campground in Pigeon Forge, from which we launched our assault on the GSMNP and surrounding areas. Please note that some of our sources of libation shall remain unidentified for fairly obvious reasons.

The KLR is always a great mount for exploring. Here's a bridge not far from Cades Cove.

And a little spot we found to rest, cool off and eat a picnic lunch by a stream. It was HOT outside.

My wife strikes a pose by the river.

And getting ready to saddle up for some more GSM miles.

Unfortunately Rich Mountain Road was closed for maintenance, and Parson's Branch was closed due to a mudslide, but the riding was great anyway, as it always is up there. (Last time I was up there, I was on the Concours and followed Bert's Tiger down Parson's Branch.) The rangers there told us the story of a pair of motorcyclists last year, one on a white Triumph, the other on a prototype KLR 1000, which they said suspiciously resembled a heavily modified ZG1000. As the sweat poured down the back of my neck, I whispered a silent prayer of thanks that we were on the KLR 650 on this day.

Later, we did take the Concours up to Clingman's Dome, and just caught a window for a view before the clouds rolled in.

Some roadwork allowed me to get a few goof-shots on the Concours…

We also had the opportunity to buzz over to the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley.

They actually started this on up right there in front of us.

This one you'll see racing at Barber later this year in a race where all qualifying bikes must be at least 100 years old. (But not the riders).

Some of you American Pickers fans may recognize this cycle car…

I did have the Go Pro working, and got a few fairly decent videos, but mainly just took in some great riding over some really good roads.

Don't get me wrong, I do love living in Flatistan, but there's nothing like getting into a few twisties and a little elevation variation…..

Until next time!

I Just Got A Letter From AARP....
Reply with quote  #2 
Nice Rocky, you can never go wrong playing around in that part of the woods!
TEAM DUMB-ASS [member#001]
TEAM SMART-ASS

A good rider has balance, judgment, and timing.......so does a good wife.

Randy and Robin West

Growing Bolder not Older

'03 GL 1800
'01 DRZ 400

I like slow walks on the beach & poking at dead things with a stick.
Bill

Eet Mor Chikin
Reply with quote  #3 
Awesome report!

Running the bikes inside, oil leaking all over the place...doesn't it just smell good in WTT? 

Reply with quote  #4 
Sweet report Rocky. Makes me want to head back that way. I know you wanted to take your KLR1000 back over Pasons Branch road.
Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #5 
HUGE congrats on the double graduations of the kids!!!

Good stuff Rocky, looks like y'all had a blast! (Especially when the moonshine kicks in, you know how it will make you all romantical and stuff   )

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

JohnHardiman

BONGO!
Reply with quote  #6 
Cool ride...Wheels Through Time is a treat.

KTM 300XC, KTM 1190R, 1988 KTM 350, Sherco 3.0 Trials, 79 Husky 390WR, Honda XR650R, Honda Grom, Apollo Pitbike,   Tony Shifter Kart .TEAM WANKER...Only Pussy's die of natural causes! Member of the Solo Mile High Club! Check out Team Wanker on Facebook!
TNdualsport

Declined A Position In The Obama Administration
Reply with quote  #7 
I was curious. My wife and I went on a big adventure a couple of weeks ago and almost all of our pictures have either one or the other in it yet most of yours have you both together.
Did you bring little Bert with you or something?
Looks like a LARGE TIME regardless.

I know McPush, and you Sir, are no McPush!
Reply with quote  #8 
Tim:

The secret is a $10 camera tripod from Wal-Mart or Target. We take one on every trip, and it quickly collapses down to tank bag size. I even leave the camera mounted on the tripod when traveling.

We did the Lil' Bert thing, but that gets kind of creepy if the moonshine kicks in and things get romantical and all. (We once put Lil' Bert in an ice machine just to get him out of our room. We felt bad when the Lil' Rectal Thermometer said his core temp was 28 degrees, but we were pleased to see that, just like the Busch Light cans, he turns a marvelous shade of blue when he's really cold.) but I digress....

Yes, it was a great trip!

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #9 
  BUSCH LIGHT???

You've got to be kidding.

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

rabbitrandy

I Just Got A Letter From AARP....
Reply with quote  #10 
That's funny Rocky! You don't need the butt thermometer, just check his blueness...

TEAM DUMB-ASS [member#001]
TEAM SMART-ASS

A good rider has balance, judgment, and timing.......so does a good wife.

Randy and Robin West

Growing Bolder not Older

'03 GL 1800
'01 DRZ 400

I like slow walks on the beach & poking at dead things with a stick.
swampy

Reply with quote  #11 
I haven't been to Wheels Thru Time since '02! Last time I was there, Dale gave us the private tour and fired up an Ariel Square Four! That's the nice thing about that museum. All the pieces run and he'll fire them up!

Rocky, good to see you back! Was starting to worry about you!

Reply with quote  #12 
Gotta be nice to head up to the Smoky Mtns and cool off. 

Sorry that Lil Bert was such an nuisance.

We need to organize a autumn off-road trip (October) to Tennessee this year.

Eet Mor Chikin
Reply with quote  #13 
One of the many interesting exhibits in the Wheels Through Time collection...the 1916 Traub (Article). 

p.s. That camper in the first photo kicks butt. Do you haul the bikes in it?

Good, Bad, and Ugly
Reply with quote  #14 
Nice report Rocky! Congrats on the grads. Nice Raptor Toy Hauler too...Looks like you done graduated too a six wheeler and two roof air.

We just used ours as a family camper (no bikes) at Homasassa for scallops and a week at Bahia Honda for lobster and fishing. Dave hauls the Grady and I tow the Work N Play.

01 Suzuki DR-Z250
06 Triumph Tiger
96 Yamaha XT225 (Mel's bike she doesn't ride)
79 XS650F Rode it from 1985 to 94 Needs TLC
75 DT250B Since I was 19 

"Life Changing is when you no longer have a Bike"
LilBert

I'm Still A New Guy....Kick Me!
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Sorry that Lil Bert was such an nuisance.

I heard that...You don't post for a few months and people think you're fair game for pot shots.

I get no respect around this place...No respect I say!

Lil Bert

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!