Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
forum logo

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

Devil's Creek Dual Sport, Feb 28, 29, March 3 2020. Sold Out in 11 Hours!

Cross-Florida AMA National Adventure Ride April 4 & 5, 2020

Forest Clean-Up August 2020
Gobbler November 2020

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
rjohnson

I know McPush, and you Sir, are no McPush!
Reply with quote  #1 
Let's see the reports from Cheaha.

We didn't get many pictures, but had a great time.

We spotted this GS rider en route (but didn't see him at Cheaha.....)

I rode my trusty DRZ, but had carb issues (clogged pilot jet). A huge thanks to my Apollo friends for the help.

A distinguished gentleman from Florida's east coast....

And another....

Stub checks the temperature of his KTM, inadvertently warming his frozen fingers....

Some hooligans at Doc Hilt.....

Sunday my wife and I did the adventure route two-up on the KLR.

A couple Sunday lunch pictures (of the two-up gang, consisting of one mediocre KLR rider and one highly skilled V-Strom rider)....

And one very suspicious looking GARTRA rider trying to stay warm.....

Thanks again, Swampy, for another fantastic event.

Hey! You're Blinker's On!
Reply with quote  #2 
Just got home from Cheaha...what a great weekend of riding, even though it was just a little cool for our group.  My son, his wife and daughter, and I went up from here, met by her parents from Blairsville, and my younger son, his wife and son from Birmingham.  So in addition to the great riding, it was also good to see others of our family.

On the negative side, on Saturday afternoon, somewhere on 600-1, my tail bag (Cargo brand black bag) came off my rear rack of my XR650L.  It contained some new OEM parts for the bike that I took along "just in case".  We rode the same 600-1 on Sunday morning from the opposite direction, but I didn't see it.  If anyone happened to see/pick it up, I would appreciate your responding to this plea. I'll even put up a $50.00 reward if it's returned. I know there were some other groups there, including runners, who might have picked it up, but just hoping someone from our group did. Thanks!

I belonged to DDS many years ago, and have just gotten back into dual sporting, along with my son and his wife.  This is absolutely the best group of any kind of riding that I've been associated with.

Now, back to work tomorrow...

Richard Herrington
Clearwater

kawazukimaha

Good, Bad, and Ugly
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Swampy! It was Classic! We really have an appreciation for what it takes to put this whole thing together. Now, to actually pull it off. That's a commitment as well a sacrifice. We saw it first hand. A heart felt THANK YOU!

Great riding, great routes, great friends, great days and great FUN!
IT WAS COLD in the morning  More motivtion to not be arriving at the "End of Suggested Route" before the sun sets.

Did I say Thanks? Let's do it again...

01 Suzuki DR-Z250
06 Triumph Tiger
96 Yamaha XT225 (Mel's bike she doesn't ride)
79 XS650F Rode it from 1985 to 94 Needs TLC
75 DT250B Since I was 19 

"Life Changing is when you no longer have a Bike"
swampy

Reply with quote  #4 
You're welcome Andy and everyone.... all I can say is.... wait'll you see what's in store for NEXT year!

Does This Bike
Make My Butt Look Fat?
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks Swampy for an awesome event. Even though my ride got cut short a little on Sat. it was the most fun I've had on my KLR since I got it!
I rode up with some fellow club members from the Daytona Dirt Riders on Fri. we got a little bit of a late start and ended up not getting there until about dark thirty. Found our camp site right next to Paul McDonald and decided it was too cold to unload the bikes in the dark. So after a good nights sleep we finally got everything unloaded and geared up. We were still some of the last bikes out by the time we got our route sheets loaded. Headed down the road and what beautiful roads they are. Now I've been racing enduros and hare scrambles for alot of years here in Florida, but getting on those gravel roads on my big KLR for the first time was an eye opening experience. After a few   miles of sliding around I got used to it and started to pick up the pace.
Passed a large group of riders that had made a wrong turn just before lunch so we walked in and went right to the front if the line. Lunch was great and the covered bridge out back was cool.
After lunch my group split up with 3 guys heading for the Doc Hilt Trails and Sam and me heading for the rest of the Sat. roads. We decided to skip the big bike bypass until we got too tired. It started getting colder as the sun was getting lower in the sky so we finally decided to book it on back to camp.
We stopped at an intersection to check our directions and that's when the big green machine decided it liked it right there and didn't want to go any farther. Battery was deader then a doornail. Thanks for loaning Sam your truck to come get me. My team mates got me back to camp, we pulled the battery out of the bike, filled it up with water and put it on a charger. Next mourning it fired the bike right up.
Sunday got cut even shorter when Jerry's new Husaberg died going down the road about 4 miles from the camp. After working on it on the side of the road for an hour we decided to tow it back to our camp with the KLR. I think that's when you went by us heading out to sweep I assume. Got back to camp ok and we all decided to pack up and get an early start for home.
Even with the bike problems we all had a great time and will be back next year for sure.
Here's a link to my pictures. I would have taken more but the other guys like to ride, not pose.

http://photo26mx.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Dual-Sport-Rides/DDS-Fall-Classic-2010/14583328_JjjP4#1084233985_AiY8y

2001 KDX200
2007 KX250 SON#1
2003 KTM 200xc SON#2
XR70 PIT BIKE
stubbjr

Hey! It's My Birthday!
Reply with quote  #6 
  No one has mentioned the shirts this year! I thought they were awesome! the Doc Hilt section was a blast to ride. I think we hit all the sections in there with the " one way " trail being the best. It looked like it hadn't been used for a while when we went through. Great addition to the Classic.
  Thanks Swampy
   Rick  

Good, Bad, and Ugly
Reply with quote  #7 
 on the Doc Hilt Section. I'd like to do that in the morning and then work the route to lunch. I was too spent to attempt the hill section by the time we got there...lol.

Is it just me or did anyone else think the "Attendant Dude with the Hat & blue tooth ear piece" look like Billy Bob Thornton?

Maybe think of Bandits with Bruce Willis?  

01 Suzuki DR-Z250
06 Triumph Tiger
75 DT250B Since I was 19 

jakbrand

Reply with quote  #8 

DDR26 is modest.  He shot loads of pictures.  Be sure to click the link to view his entire gallery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR26
Thanks Swampy for an awesome event. Even though my ride got cut short a little on Sat. it was the most fun I've had on my KLR since I got it!
I rode up with some fellow club members from the Daytona Dirt Riders on Fri. we got a little bit of a late start and ended up not getting there until about dark thirty. Found our camp site right next to Paul McDonald and decided it was too cold to unload the bikes in the dark. So after a good nights sleep we finally got everything unloaded and geared up. We were still some of the last bikes out by the time we got our route sheets loaded. Headed down the road and what beautiful roads they are. Now I've been racing enduros and hare scrambles for alot of years here in Florida, but getting on those gravel roads on my big KLR for the first time was an eye opening experience. After a few   miles of sliding around I got used to it and started to pick up the pace.
Passed a large group of riders that had made a wrong turn just before lunch so we walked in and went right to the front if the line. Lunch was great and the covered bridge out back was cool.
After lunch my group split up with 3 guys heading for the Doc Hilt Trails and Sam and me heading for the rest of the Sat. roads. We decided to skip the big bike bypass until we got too tired. It started getting colder as the sun was getting lower in the sky so we finally decided to book it on back to camp.
We stopped at an intersection to check our directions and that's when the big green machine decided it liked it right there and didn't want to go any farther. Battery was deader then a doornail. Thanks for loaning Sam your truck to come get me. My team mates got me back to camp, we pulled the battery out of the bike, filled it up with water and put it on a charger. Next mourning it fired the bike right up.
Sunday got cut even shorter when Jerry's new Husaberg died going down the road about 4 miles from the camp. After working on it on the side of the road for an hour we decided to tow it back to our camp with the KLR. I think that's when you went by us heading out to sweep I assume. Got back to camp ok and we all decided to pack up and get an early start for home.
Even with the bike problems we all had a great time and will be back next year for sure.
Here's a link to my pictures. I would have taken more but the other guys like to ride, not pose.

http://photo26mx.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Dual-Sport-Rides/DDS-Fall-Classic-2010/14583328_JjjP4#1084233985_AiY8y

Brought To You By Tom's Yaller Snap-Off Foot Pegs!
Reply with quote  #9 
Had a great time as well....... evidence in the pics

Lunch with 2 Amigos

This section was worth the entire trip up

Robo Cop poses for the ladies

A nice shot of the shadow rider

Hey! You're Blinker's On!
Reply with quote  #10 

Had a great time. The GS and i arrived on Friday just in time for the brief snow/sleet blast at Swampy's room. 32 on the mountain, 20 minutes later at my hotel in Oxford it was 51. The Sat/am ride on the GS was a fun time ( hope the guy on the older dr350 with the broke chain made it back OK) i cut the after lunch route in half and rode some great paved roads back to the hotel. Only rode about a third of the Sunday route and headed back to Mobile but i will be back.

Take the longway home.
swampy

Reply with quote  #11 
I took some pictures from John, Rocky, DDR26 and myself... mixed them with a little southern fried and viola! Enjoy a whole heaping helpin' of the 2010 Fall Classic!

Declined A Position In The Obama Administration
Reply with quote  #12 
Oh Man! I knew you'd have a great ride there. We warned all the workers at Cheaha that the wild eyed southern boys would be up but I don't think they comprehended the dirt bike invasion that was coming their way.

Good, Bad, and Ugly
Reply with quote  #13 
Wild Eyed Southern Boys & GIRLS!  

The DDS Girls were there and Ridin'!

01 Suzuki DR-Z250
06 Triumph Tiger
75 DT250B Since I was 19 

rjohnson

I know McPush, and you Sir, are no McPush!
Reply with quote  #14 
Excellent Swampy! I need to get some better pictures, but I have a bad habit of enjoying the ride so much that I don't think about the pictures until later.

Thanks for putting that presentation together. (And thanks again for putting together such an excellent event).

Missed a couple faces this year--
  • Driver. Hurry up and heal. How long are you gonna milk this thing, anyway?
  • Coon Tail Tim. Hard feelings between TN and AL?
  • Jack B. The locals we met on the other side of the RR track expressed "hunger" for an "office boy". What the heck does THAT mean?
  • Rob P. WTF?
  • Bert. (We did see Lil Bert. Does that count?)
A great time by any standards, so hope to see these and more next year......

Reply with quote  #15 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnson
Missed a couple faces this year--

Driver. Hurry up and heal. How long are you gonna milk this thing, anyway?

Only as long as it takes.   Oh, by the way ... SHHHHHHHHHH !  Emma is being soooo nice, I even got a cake last week  Just kidding, I'd be nowhere as well without her.

Thanks to all who have been providing the snapshots and write-ups.  It's not as good as being at a great ride but it's fun to see what we miss. 

Mike
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!