**RESCHEDULED**
AMA/Honda Cross-Florida National Adventure Ride
New Date: November 7 & 8, 2020

Forest Clean-Up Seoptember 2020

Author   Comment  
playinatwork

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #1 
I want to complete an IBA Dusty Butt 1000 east of the Mississippi.  That's 1000 miles not on pavement in 24 hours.  I've been in contact with the IBA and a repetitive route will not be acceptable but a route that is 500 miles there and back will be acceptable.  The rules are basically the same as for a SaddleSore 1000.

I plan to do this ride in late April or May depending on the weather.  I will be on a KTM525exc with a 6.6 gallon tank and extra lights. 

I need routing help.  If I can get the route roughed out I will start preriding it as soon as possible. I am thinking of starting south of Augusta Ga and riding due south till just below the Okefenokee and then head west towards Pensacola and back.  I will need to limit the NFS roads because of their low speed limits and the IBA frowns on excessive speed.  I keep finding gpx tracks and routes that have too much pavement included.  For every mile of pavement I will ride will not count towards the DB1K yet will eat up my time. 

Most everyone I've talked with about this has told me that it can't be done.  Well of course now I have to do it. 

I know this type of riding is not for everyone and please don't tell me I shouldn't do this.  I am doing it. I enjoy this type of riding, most people do not.  If you want to help me, thanks, I need all the help I can get.  If you have some extended dirt tracks in the area that might help, please send me the tracks. 
Thanks,
Tim

Tim

wingam00

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #2 
A couple of links that may or may not help.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632036

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708091

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
Ob1quixote

ELO Kiddies
Reply with quote  #3 
I dont know the area, so I cant be of much help, but the idea is exciting! Never heard of the Dusty Butt...

I have tried 2 IBA SS1000's on my DRZ, adding a DS or ADV event into the route to make it tough, and have come close twice. Take out the DS/ADV event it would be a piece of cake.

I am very interested in your plan and would like to see how it works out.

Hell, you could probably talk me into riding it with you!
playinatwork

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks Wingam, I've been digging thru a bunch of posts just like those and they all seem to have too much pavement between dirt roads.  Those links pretty much exemplify what my problem is.  I am going to use them as a guideline and starting point and work from there. 

OB1,
I feel like Quixote tilting at windmills here.  Problem is, the more people tell me I can't do it, the more determined I am.  You are welcome to join me on my little quest.  

Does anyone have a route from Jax to Tallahassee on dirt?

Tim

wingam00

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #5 
PM Dr.Z on this forum or on ADV, believe that he and some others rode a loop that may help.

As far as doing the ride. I know you can do the ride, but I bet what you can not do is tell me what to get my Wife for Christmas that she will love and that is CHEAP!!! [imaposer]

playinatwork

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #6 
That's easy,...you

Tim

stubbjr

Hey! It's My Birthday!
Reply with quote  #7 
[imaposer][imaposer][imaposer][woot][thewave][smartass][thumb]

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by playinatwork
That's easy,...you

Tim, at least you got the CHEAP part right, now for the love part.....[augie]

toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #9 
Wing, you made that too easy........send Tim a [teamsmartass] sticker..........Tim, if the dirt road situation for your entire route is like southwest Ga, you will find that for every 100 miles of dirt you will have 30 to 40 miles of paved connector roads, at least that's what we find around here. Good luck with your planning and ride, it should make for a full day of riding and an interesting ride report.

Best regards, Tooly

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

Ob1quixote

ELO Kiddies
Reply with quote  #10 
I am looking around, so to speak, trying to lend a hand.
Will this help?

http://www.georgiaoverland.com/p/maps-and-downloads.html

I have looked around on county maps from Florida DOT, not seeing much unpaved at all, just randomly checked a few northern counties.
playinatwork

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks OB1. I am going to start preriding first of the year. I'll start riding north out of Jax.
I've looked at the Georgia overland routes and I don't see anything there that would be of help to me.  I will need to stay in the low country to be able to maintain a speed average high enough to complete the ride. 

Tim

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!