AMA/Honda Cross-Florida National Adventure Ride
New Date: November 7 & 8, 2020

Forest Clean-Up Seoptember 2020

Author   Comment  
ThumpRider

They're Always After
Me Lucky Charms!
Reply with quote  #1 
I have spoke wheels on my 650GS. The tires have tubes in them.  The larger (1200 GS) runs tubeless tires on their spoke wheels.  I prefer tubeless tires.  Can I run em or am I missing something?
swampy

Reply with quote  #2 
What does BMW recommend? That's the ultimate answer....

Chances are that since they have tubes they are tub-type rims... which means that the spokes are affixed to the center line of the rim, and inside the rim, under the tube, it runs a piece of rubber that covers the spoke nipples. These wheels are not airtight.

The wheels on the big GS's have the spokes that affix to the rim outside of the tire wall. Therefore, they can be solid metal and airtight.

While you may prefer tubeless tires, off-road and even more aggressive adventure riding, it's easier to repair a flat on a tube-type wheel than a tubeless. Puncture a tubeless tire and you have to replace the tire (cause a plug isn't a long term solution!). Puncture a tubed tire, you replace the tube and keep on your way and ride out of the situation.

Also, tubeless tires have a smaller sidewall, and when you decrease your air pressure  it allows your tire to ding the rim if you hit a square edge... and a cast wheel is a heck of a lot more expensive than a $100 rim and another $100 to spin it!

Reply with quote  #3 

If you're really wanting to run tubeless give these a look.

Bert

http://tubliss.com/

Tubliss Cutaway

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
ThumpRider

They're Always After
Me Lucky Charms!
Reply with quote  #4 
Well Swampy, that was a hell of an explanation. Now you got me re thinking my desire to go tubeless. I was prepared to replace the rims but now I am not sure.
sfront

Rain Dances With MiamiMike
Reply with quote  #5 
You know what they say.......If it ain't broke......don't fix it.
There's probably less than one percent of the folks on here that run tubeless systems. And that's probably being generous!

They're Always After
Me Lucky Charms!
Reply with quote  #6 
I just put the Tubliss on rear, about three rides ago, & so far, I like!

What The Heck Was THAT?
Reply with quote  #7 

I have been Tubliss for about 2 years and have no complaints.

swampy

Reply with quote  #8 
I've heard good and bad on the Tubliss system, about the same going each way.

I stay with tubes .... cause I can't justify the expense of the Tubliss...

Now, there are even tireballs out there as well.....don't know anyone that uses them, or the mousse.....

They're Always After
Me Lucky Charms!
Reply with quote  #9 
I'm sick of buying ultra HD tubes, not getting any cheaper. I figured if the Tubliss last like claimed, I'll be saving $ and aggravation. And you should know I'm not the spendy type.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!