AMA/Honda Cross-Florida National Adventure Ride
New Date: November 7 & 8, 2020

Forest Clean-Up Seoptember 2020

Author   Comment  
bradluke0

Lost My Bike
Playing Poker
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all !   We are planning to ride Citrus on Saturday . We have never been there and we were wondering where the best place to park would be and where the best riding is. We will be trailering the bikes up . We should arrive about 9 or so , anyone wanting to join us is welcome .  
DRIVER

Reply with quote  #2 
If you mean the Citus tract I'm thinking of ... (NW of Brooksville) you need to be on your best behavior.  That is a very, very visable area to the public.  It's used heavily by horse people and patrolled by rangers.  These are the same rangers who grant us our permits for such events as the Devils Creek ride.  I've been there a few times and have escaped any wrath but have heard of many warnings about tearing up the roads and speed limits.  Beware and behave.

Mike Driver
bradluke0

Lost My Bike
Playing Poker
Reply with quote  #3 
hi all !  wow , thx for answering my questions !
EAR21

Is MiamiMike Really
From Vancouver?
Reply with quote  #4 
Driver, can you tell me more about Citrus?

Reply with quote  #5 
 DRIVER is correct. While it certainly is legal to ride on the forest roads, it is a high-visibility area and Tillis Hills is the equine center flagship of the State Forest system. Lots of horseback riders, along with dogs doing field trials. Lots of competing user groups. If you go, be on your best behavior, don't tear stuff up, and limit your group to a few riders (3-4).

Stop, take off your helmets, and turn your bikes off when meeting with horse riders. Put a positive face on our sport.

On another note, this is a hardwood and sandpine upland, much like Ocala, so soft and deep sand is everywhere.

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAR21
Driver, can you tell me more about Citrus?

Not a lot I can add.  It's a cool place but nothing like the riding areas at Richloam.  I've had better times at Citrus on a Land Rover than on the bike since I was always paranoid on the bike.  My father in law and I hit it on the bikes a few times a year but we are on TW200s so that makes people smile and due to the bikes our speed is limited already.  There are caves there (you have to hike in) and as mentioned horses are everywhere at almost all times.  If you are willing to cruise slowly and chill out it's an OK place.  Bring your patience and enjoy the sand. 

Mike

JohnHardiman

BONGO!
Reply with quote  #7 

IMHO....Citrus is kinda boring & like what already has been said...watch for the Rangers.

KTM 300XC, KTM 1190R, 1988 KTM 350, Sherco 3.0 Trials, 79 Husky 390WR, Honda XR650R, Honda Grom, Apollo Pitbike,   Tony Shifter Kart .TEAM WANKER...Only Pussy's die of natural causes! Member of the Solo Mile High Club! Check out Team Wanker on Facebook!
swampy

Reply with quote  #8 
I should add.....If I were loading up a truck and travelling to ride, I'd head to Ocala....  Citrus is neat to have in the back yard, but as a load up, pack your stuff destination.... not really....

Lost My Bike
Playing Poker
Reply with quote  #9 
Hi all !   Thx for the info John and Swampy . That is the type of info I was looking for , not a lecture . Just a little bit curious tho , I just saw a recent thread with pictures regarding a ride at Citrus . Seems the attitude here towards us going to Citrus and others going to Citrus is very different , is that the agenda here ?   
swampy

Reply with quote  #10 
No agenda. You may be referring to a post from Tom who lives up there and that's in his backyard. He knows the history of that tract and acts accordingly. He goes out for a couple of hours and ride home. Good reference point by the way.

Like I said earlier, it's a nice place to ride if it's in your backyard, but for me, not worth loading the bike in the truck and driving there. Flat, sandy, and you can cover the place in the matter of a few hours. Where I like Ocala which is a half a million acres and you can ride almost forever!

But let me give you a little overall history and some other stuff to keep in the back of your mind as well. (I know Brad and Earl had a few questions. Earl is EAR21 back in post #4 who wanted to know more as well.)

In the big scheme of things, it's that we, as a group, respect the other user groups that use the different forest tracts and try to minimize any chances of conflict between user groups that ends up being reported to Forestry.

We work with the division of forestry as an organization to minimize conflicts with user groups. Until 1999, you couldn't ride there, or any state forest property, on a motorcycle, tagged or not. That changed when a DDSer got ticketed and challenged it in court and we worked with forestry to change the rules. And we've worked with forestry since 1996 to gain and maintain our access and improve the image of motorcycles on forest lands. What you enjoy now is due to the headaches we've gone through in the past. (and headaches still come in because we're a recognized user group. I get to field phone calls and emails from time to time. Some folks may remember the Old Man Parsons issue a couple of years ago, or donut man, or the guy who "threatened to shoot a couple of riders because they didn't belong out here"...).

That being said, Citrus is a place where that conflict can happen the easiest, primarily because it is heavy, and I mean heavy, into the equestrian scene. The majority of surrounding private property opens onto the forest for people to ride their horses. And equestrians are a vocal group with the Department (plus they do a lot of volunteer work as well, so they not only use the forest, they work to keep it)

We try to balance the opposing forces but it's tough. DDS is the only ds/adv organization that works with these forest user groups and the Forest Service itself to ensure that we're seen as in a positive light. DDS folks volunteer time and energy at any forest clean-ups, volunteering at trail work days, and helping other user groups conduct their events in the forest. DDS members puts in over 500 manhours of volunteer time in the Withlacoochee each year. And we need more folks to step up and help.

A big thing happened last year when we lost two allies in Forestry due to retirement, so at this point the new recreation coordinator & manager are getting a feel for what happens in these tracts of the forest.

So the only agenda is that DDS promotes Responsible Motorcycling by Responsible Riders. And by that we mean working with others, playing well with others, respecting others.

It just happens that Citrus heavy in equine users. And we need to respect that.

That's why we ask that if you go, Go Quietly, Tread Lightly, Be Respectful, and put a friendly face on our sport! You will be representing each and every one of us while you're out there!

I hope that gives you a little more insight as to where we've been and how it's all evolved. No agenda.

Ride safely! 

(Make sure you have a map so you know what roads are open. Only roads listed on the Official map are open. Everything else is closed.)

BONGO!
Reply with quote  #11 
If I never went back to Citrus again whether it's on my bike or Jeep,I would not miss it. It's flat Forrest Roads & if the Rangers see you with mud on your Jeep they accuse you of "Mud Bogging"... I have no idea of what type of riding you are looking for or your skill level. If your a total newbie looking for something simple to ride, then maybe. The Horse Folks don't like us period, go and ride the place...tell us what you think. There's no agenda here, just a straight forward response.
JA

KTM 300XC, KTM 1190R, 1988 KTM 350, Sherco 3.0 Trials, 79 Husky 390WR, Honda XR650R, Honda Grom, Apollo Pitbike,   Tony Shifter Kart .TEAM WANKER...Only Pussy's die of natural causes! Member of the Solo Mile High Club! Check out Team Wanker on Facebook!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!