Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

2019 Event Has SOLD OUT IN 25 HOURS!

Author   Comment  
mtnfish2012

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #1 
Anyone up for a day ride on the roads outside of Amicalola Park on Sat. Aug 4th? Camping at the park and plan to head out Sat morning. Exploring mostly, first time riding up there. If anyone has some suggested routes that would be cool..

Reply with quote  #2 
Sounds like lots of fun..Wish I could go
Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
wingam00

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #3 
l would  love to go, but........ That old but always gets in the way.

It may help if you tell what bike you ride and the type riding you would like to do.  Pavement, forest roads, single trails, etc.....

Hope you have a great ride and take pictures and post a report.

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
mtnfish2012

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks, too bad you can't make it. I would like some advice, I ride mostly forest service roads and singles.  KTM EXC 350.  Know any hills up there?

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #5 
Do not know much about the riding in North GA. but up a little more in Western NC/TN border if you check with Danny at Crawford's Camp ground, Danny can put you on too some good stuff. His campground is a good place for a base camp and is not to far out side of GA.

http://www.crawfordsattellico.com/

Tell him that Wingam00 sent  you and he will give to 10% off after raising the price by 40%. (Ha!Ha!)

Danny is a good guy.

Mark

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
mtnfish2012

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #6 
Sounds great, I'll plan that for my September trip.

Now With 20% More
Off-Road Goodness!
Reply with quote  #7 
See this thread. 

http://forum.dixiedualsport.com/post/Ellijay-area-Dual-Sporting-5414945

A few of us went in August of last year. Had the time of out lives. Thanks to the members here for help in planning the trip. 

I Just Got A Letter From AARP....
Reply with quote  #8 
are you dual sporting or adv riding?  you can ride out the back side of Amicola Falls SP and there are forest roads that scatter out from there. 

you can also cut over to Cahuta Forest and there are plenty of roads and trails there.  

A good forest map of the Chattahoochee forest will help with that area..

TEAM DUMB-ASS [member#001]
TEAM SMART-ASS

A good rider has balance, judgment, and timing.......so does a good wife.

Randy and Robin West

Growing Bolder not Older

'03 GL 1800
'01 DRZ 400

I like slow walks on the beach & poking at dead things with a stick.
mtnfish2012

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #9 

We'll be dual sporting and have the motorized vehicle map from the forest service.  If you know any cool or must ride sections let me know.  I heard the Coopers Creek area has some good roads.  Mainly the goal is to learn the area and then come back for more!  My bike is not much fun on the roads so dirt is preferred.

Reply with quote  #10 
you'er on the right path. Just ask the ranger how to get to the baptist church in the woods going out the back side of the SP.

when the road forks, go left to the old church.  

fork  right and ride for miles of trails and if you keep and eye on your map you'll wind up in coopers creek area. these are all forest roads.

we just had a rally up there last month Hooch Rally.  Watch for it next year.

TEAM SMART-ASS

Randy and Robin West

Growing Bolder not Older

'03 GL 1800
'01 DRZ 400

mtnfish2012

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #11 

I was able to make it up on Saturday and had a great ride, unfortunately I was solo though still had a blast and met up with a few random groups along the way. 

I left out of Amicalola falls and turned right at the fork for the church.  It’s pretty smooth and I was out early enough to avoid any weekend traffic.  The trail was fun and fast, with little jumps and had some straights so you can really get on it and test your rock skills with a nice line of sight for safety. 

About 5 miles out from Amicalola I made a right turn at the AT crossing and twisted down the mtn.  This section was fun and scenic and good for any skill level.  (If you turn left at the fork, it’s a nice long downhill with a few rocky sections and some off camber rocky turns, so watch out speed demons) About another 5 miles later the road flattens out and follows a creek with some cool camp spots on the north side of the road turning to pavement (Nimblewill Church Rd).  You continue up about 3 miles or so and make a left after the church and start heading north towards 60 on FS 28.

This section had a few dead end turn-offs that were entertaining after running flat FS roads for miles, I even stirred up a pack of boars on trial 43B (I think) which got the heart pounding quite a bit as they seem to not like KTM's, definitely a first to be chased by a pig.  I continued up to FS 77 and wound up following coopers creek past a lake, fish hatchery and several other camping/fishing spots. 

Once I hit 60 it was time for gas at Coopers Creek store.  Going up and over should have been about 30-40 miles, 60 with exploring.  From the store I went back going west on 60 for about 5 miles and turned left on Doublehead Gap Rd and followed this to FS 58.  This is an awesome, scenic road following a cascading creek for miles.  Once at the top of the mountain you’ll hit an intersection and aim back to Nimblewill Church Rd on FS 28.  It’s all back tracking from there. 

Great ride, about 130 miles when you add in all the detours and it took me about 6 hours at an intermediate pace.

Reply with quote  #12 
that's what i'm talking about! you hit all the right roads. glad you had a great time. 
TEAM SMART-ASS

Randy and Robin West

Growing Bolder not Older

'03 GL 1800
'01 DRZ 400

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!