Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

Devil's Creek Dual Sport, Feb 28, 29, March 3 2020. Sold Out in 11 Hours!

**RESCHEDULED**
AMA/Honda Cross-Florida National Adventure Ride
New Date: November 7 & 8, 2020

Forest Clean-Up August 2020
Gobbler November 2020

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
tabarrow

Muffler Bearing Tech Day
Coming Soon!
Reply with quote  #16 

Here are a few pic's from Saturday

A little fog early

cleared out as soon as we were down the mtn.

Bill and Charlie crossing the bridge.

Was that bridge slick or what?

Charlie and Bill stop to enjoy the view

Lunch stop

The Last of sunlight

Time for dinner. Here's the cook.

The wind was cold, so out of the wind and near the fire was a popular spot for talk of the days adventures.

Sunday AM after section 'D' my clutch cable broke so I left Bill and Charlie and was headed back to the truck at the top of the Mtn. I stopped to talk to some other DDS riders and a fine young man from GA on a red KLR650 had a cable end. He was able to repair the cable and let me join their group.
What I didn't know, is that this new group didn't do the bypasses.
Thanks to all of you for your patience, help, and instruction with this newbie.

Sunday photos

THE MUD HOLE RECOVERY TEAM

Trail side repair

The Sunday Sweep

Tired, dirty, exhausted, and still grinning

The event was fantastic, the weather was great, the food was superb, but the people, the DDS family were the best.

Tab

FlyNW

Now With 20% More
Off-Road Goodness!
Reply with quote  #17 
Robert, thanks for puttin' together a great ride.  It's amazing how you can dial the weather up like that.  No bad for an old southen boy.

Nate

Now With 20% More
Off-Road Goodness!
Reply with quote  #18 

A few hiking pics...

Reply with quote  #19 
Nice photos!

Looks like ya'll had perfect weather.  I took a little trip last week too.  Full ride report starts on Thursday.

Is MiamiMike Really
From Vancouver?
Reply with quote  #20 
Some photos from the lovely and talented Vickie.

We did the Saturday ride until I started losing the front brakes.  We bailed
out at 2 PM without making it to the lunch location.

Everything went well until I chopped the throttle in some nasty clay.
Don't do that.  I modified the windshield with my chest upon dismount.
The kevlar armor sucked up the damage with no issues.  The master
cylinder was tweaked, and the brakes went South.  I aborted the run,
went back to the starting area and fixed everything up.

The plan for Sunday was to have a nice day touring around looking at
the scenery and trying to find covered bridges.

Pics follow....

1st is the bike in the ditch....

The result:  Mud, a broken windshield, and a tweaked master
cylinder fitting.

Fixed the brakes, and ready for Sunday's covered bridge hunt.

swampy

Reply with quote  #21 
Let's pick back up with Saturday....

This seems to be a common theme within the posts so far.... fog!  But then again,
the temp was colder on top of the mountain, combined with a low dew point, and the moisture... okay...enough science... let's get on with it!

Quick shot of sign-up....

Folks assembling their roll charts....
Some people can't see the forest from the trees, but there's a reason for this....
Everyone here is talking to each other about something. They're breaking the ice with folks they don't know,
They're beginning to build relationships. And THAT is how people grow to know others, by interacting. Doing roll charts creates interactions. And leads to folks meeting new friends.

...and a quick thanks to Rick Knight (and his wife) for all the help with sign up along with Jen Mcleod... they got it done efficiently!

So folks mad ethe riders meeting and were off on the route, exploring scenic, rural Alabama!

Meanwhile, the BWT and I head on down to The Mill to make sure lunch in in process...

Here's Donnie grillin the chicken...

One thing about The Mill is that the ground contains one of the 12 covered bridges in the state...
...and that leads me to how I found this whole area back in '92 on my TransAlp. I toured to visit all the covered bridges....
...and when i originally visited this place, it was a small community park in need of some renovation...

Scenes along the riverbank...

Here, DBM greets his long lost cousin on his mother's uncle's cousins' nephew's sister's grandmother's brother's side....

Ducks! They're beginning to show up on more and more bikes. Believe in The Duck.

More Alabama creekside pics.... fall is a beautiful time in 'Bama! ROLL TIDE!

Some of the riders... here's Mark Starcher from the Orlando area...

Mike Worley a South Florida guy...

More lunch pics up next!

Reply with quote  #22 
Get Your Dixie On!

Folks gettin' creative with their DDS stickers in Alabamy!

Reply with quote  #23 

More folks at lunch.... help me out with the names, I'm sufferin from Sometimers (I sometimes don't remember!)

Big Bikes enjoy the Adventure Route....

had to throw this one in...these guys wandered in at lunch time. They were out on a ride that day as well.... I wonder where the knobbies are?

Yet another Woman of Dixie! We had a bunch of women riding this year!

Just a cool pic IMHO....

Howard and Terry Gilliam. Two of the greatest folks you could ever meet. I'm proud to know them.

More Saturday Coming Up!

Reply with quote  #24 
Like I was sayin' I'm out today in the BWT taking side trips and short cuts, enjoyin the countryside...

Which leads me to these Free-Range Chickens. I stopped, and they actually came up to the truck!

Some of the fabulous roads great for adventure bikes or dual sports....

I just love this area....

Tight corners, broken pavement...

and here we are towards the end of the route. The riders are on the last section of dirt and on their way back....

The sun begins to dip in the sky, casting shadows. Riders know the days almost over....

A view from the flightdeck of the BWT.....

Time to head on back and get things ready for the Saturday Night Bullshoot!

Reply with quote  #25 
Saturday Night Bullshoot

...just a few feet away from the High Point of Alabama!

Here's DDS Grillman: DirtBikeMike! Thanks Mike for all you do!

Sorry about the blurry pics, BentAero took 'em on my camera without flipping the flash up....
but we'll forgive him!

Kim Brew and her group came in a bit after dark... seems Kim mad a little 'slpash" with the other riders in her group!

Not to mention folks were staying warm by the fires in the two fireplaces. Pops cranked up the flames to make DDSers a bit more comfortable on a dark October mountaintop night!

...and just who is THIS handsome man modelling the latest in DDS cold weather wear...
Hey? Is that a camo hat and camo pants?

Sweep crew didn't make it back until about 7:30. Well after dark. Seems there was an electrical problem with one bike so they could only ride by the light of one headlight! But everyone made it in, shot some bull, and had a great time!

Special thanks to tabarrow for stepping in and helping out! It's through volunteers that things run smoothly! Thanks Tab!

Now we'll head on out to Sunday... and wait'll you see THESE pics!

Muffler Bearing Tech Day
Coming Soon!
Reply with quote  #26 
Great ride Swampy with great people.  I appreciate all those that helped me push/pull my orange machine those last 4 miles before lunch.  Mike, thanks for being willing to tow my machine with #1 son riding it out or I'd still be there.  To top everything off, the parts manager at our KTM shop personally thanked us for his job security when we finished with the parts list.  I've called Wells Fargo for financial assistance and if they come through, the shop says I'll have parts to put on and be riding in a few short weeks!!!!!!Let's Ride.......but watch out for moving rocks!

Downhill Dana
Slightly modified 2001 KTM 400EXC

srenduro

FOR SALE
By Neighbor
Reply with quote  #27 
No problem Dana, helping each other out is what it's all about besides it was kind of fun seeing what the KLR can do
                                                            Mike
swampy

Reply with quote  #28 
Well, with the sweep crew beaten by 'Bama, it now falls to the back-ups.... the pre-riders now become the sweepers!

So 30 minutes after everyone has left, we head on out....

It was such a beautiful morning! The fog disappeared again revealling the colors of autumn and clear blue skies...

Here's Bumar pickin a line.... only 7 miles of rocks in this section....

I know Rich and Bill took pictures of my flat, but I didn't. maybe they'll post 'em! I picked up a 3 inch nail after the railroad tracks.  Anyone remember a few years ago when Bill picked up that 6" railroad spike in the back tire?

So we catch up with the last riders... who also had a flat.... here we are waiting at the top of the hill climb section.....

Lunch! Why does it seem DDSers are always looking for lunch! We've caught up to the last couple of groups!

Here's Jen keeping Mike in line, explaining how finding the right line on the trail is like finding the right line for the mustard.... just notice how clean they are BEFORE lunch.....

Next up: Got Mud?

Reply with quote  #29 
MUD UP!

Here we go, riding al.ong after lunch on Sunday (mind you, this section was used both Saturday AND Sunday this year!)

So we're motoring around after lunch, and after a while, we catch up to the McLeod Posse and follow them to to turn off to this section. They're a Take-No-Bypass bunch so away they go.... then I get to thinkin'... "Hey, I have a camera. This'll be some cool pics!"

So away I went to catch and pass (followedof course by Bill and Rich, and Pat joined us at lunch!)

So we pass them before the road starts getting rough and head directly to the main hole. Here there are two options:
 1. Go through it or
2. Go around it. 
Both no easy task.

The hole can be deep enough to swallow your bike, and the way 'round is actually down hill, then up a root strewn hill... so either way.... not a simple choice...

Here's Rich coming up the go-around option....

So here we are, hanging out and waiting for the inevitable....

Tease

DDS LifeTime Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Coming up next...

Carnage!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!