Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
forum logo

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

Devil's Creek Dual Sport, Feb 28, 29, March 3 2020. Sold Out in 11 Hours!

Cross-Florida AMA National Adventure Ride April 4 & 5, 2020

Forest Clean-Up August 2020
Gobbler November 2020

Author   Comment  
g27radio

Kazoo Virtuoso
Reply with quote  #1 
This is an excerpt from a ride report I did a couple weeks ago...

---

1/17/2008 4:52PM, Dixie Highway East: I did some research on the old bridge I found in the woods. It turns out it is part of an abandoned section of the Dixie Highway. This part of the Dixie Highway was probably built around 1915 replaced by US1 maybe in the 1930's. I'm not sure if this section was part of US1 at some point but it runs parallel to the current US1 and is located about halfway between Jacksonville, FL and St Augustine, FL.

1/17/2008 4:45PM, Dixie Highway East: I took a couple of pictures of the bridge because I have a feeling it might not be here much longer. The ribbons around the trees seem to indicate that they are to be removed in order to extend the new Nocatee Parkway out to US1.

1/17/2008 4:57, Dixie Highway East: The tracks for the car tires are supported by cement and covered with thick plates of steel.

1/17/2008 4:58PM, Dixie Highway East: I looked around for a date on the bridge but could find none. My best guess is 1915 or 1916. I'm curious what the orange arrow and square mean.

Of course I had to ride over it:

You can find the full ride report here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301712

johnbendt

Is That A Fish
In Your Headlight?
Reply with quote  #2 
where did you find this bridge, ? nockoti area? I live in st. augustine would like to get out there. off 210, close to intracoastal ? thanks john bendt. jbendt@hughes.net

Kazoo Virtuoso
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbendt
where did you find this bridge, ? nockoti area? I live in st. augustine would like to get out there. off 210, close to intracoastal ? thanks john bendt. jbendt@hughes.net

Actually it's closer to US1. Say you were heading north on US1, you would make a right onto 210 heading towards Nocatee, then I believe Old Dixie Highway is the first road on the left. If you follow it to the end of the maintained part of the road you'll see it continues into the woods.

This should get you there:

Map to abandoned bridge

Just a word of warning, it might be tempting to check out some of the other trails there, but I was informed that the Nocatee people are going to be charging people with trespassing on a construction site if they catch people riding on their property. If you want to see the bridge you might want to do it soon, because it looks like they may be building a new road through there at some point.

g27radio

Kazoo Virtuoso
Reply with quote  #4 
By the way, there also is a wooden bridge off of 210 on the west side of the intracoastal.  It's on Clatter Bridge Road (wonder where they got that name )

Here's a map for that one:

Map to the Clatter Bridge

MudBurner

DDS Rocks!
Reply with quote  #5 
Hey Swampy,

As a Surveyor for many years, I think I can shed some light on this query.

(1/17/2008 4:58PM, Dixie Highway East: I looked around for a date on the bridge but could find none. My best guess is 1915 or 1916. I'm curious what the orange arrow and square mean.) 

This is how I would have marked a Temporary Elevation Benchmark if were to be working in the area for an extended period.  This would be much safer from being acidentally disturbed by heavy equipment (or wahatever) than say a steel rod in the ground marked by survey stakes and flagging.

Thanks! I enjoyed the pics.
spochynok

Kicked Out Of
Waffle House
Reply with quote  #6 

dang!  madburner beat me to the answer.  i did some surveying while in college myself.  gave it up for a job with no poison ivy, snakes, stinging caterpillars and numerous other lovely insects. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!