Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
swampy

Reply with quote  #1 

[banner] 

Welcome to the
C-FL: Ghost Town Edition
September 26 & 27, 2015

Registration Now Open

The C-FL is a Big-Bike friendly ride, designed as a backroad touring event covering paved and dirt roads. Being Florida, you can bet sand will be there, so please do not ask. There will also be hard packed limestone, gravel, broken pavement and paved roads. Also, the difficulty of this ride depends on your abilities as a rider. One person can take a Harley Sportster over the route while another may have trouble with a DR200. Length also adds a degree of difficulty. The suggested route is approx 250 miles. We can not gauge your ability to the route. You're ability determines how difficult the ride is. If you rode last year's C-FL the road types are about the same.

We will be traveling from Mt Dora to Cedar Key. This is not a short easy trip to Starbucks with your friends. This is a moto-camping trip to the west coast of Florida. How cool is that!

That being said...

Two Route Options:

1. Adventure: Paved/Dirt Roads Route
2. All Paved Sport-Touring Route

What to expect:

The Ghost Town Tour will take you to places that used to be, some relics of history, and some short lessons on where we came from. From chemical weapons testing during WWII to the demolition of an entire town from race riots, you will learn some history on this trip while you explore the back roads and woods of Florida!

We will be traversing 3 forests, you will be visiting the remnants of ghost towns, of which, Florida has the most of any state east of the Mississippi! It's a long process that we're putting together, a lot of research and so forth, so bear with us. There will be old houses, churches, barns, etc still in use. There will be places where the only thing may be a cornerstone of a post office. Old airstrips, railroad beds, bridges and former highways of the state now lost to time.

There will be a lot of dirt roads on this one, and yes some parts sandy. We'll also have some short more rough conditions for the smaller bikes looking for some bumpier options!

Day One:

Sign in at the staging area TBD. (information will be emailed to all registered riders), and receive your riders packet. Navigation will be by route sheet and GPS tracks, both of which will be made available in the week prior to the event via email.

You will be traveling a variety of local and state paved and dirt roads, through orange groves and cattle ranches, exploring the REAL Florida. It won't take long for you to realize you're not at Disney World anymore!

Lunch will be on your own as you need to gauge your time and distance throughout the day to arrive at the destination.

Your day ends at the campground where you'll set up, kick back and share stories with the others. Dinner will be catered that evening at the campground. The sun will go down, the campfires will crackle, and you will be amazed at what a clear Florida night sky can do for the soul.

Day Two:

You'll wake up and pack your gear. A continental breakfast will be available. You'll be deciding whether to head back home or an optional visit to an out of the way place.

Gas:  is available on the route, and we encourage you to fuel up when possible.

Food: Saturday dinner is provided as is Sunday's continental breakfast.

Lodging: camping is included, you will need your own tent, sleeping bag, and camp chair. This is an adventure! (Though if you prefer a hotel or B&B 10 minutes away, that is on your own and details will be provided.)

This is an epic adventure event, full of riding, stories, and history. We all can't ride around the world, but we can explore our little corner of the universe.

BONUS!

** All Registered Riders Will Receive a $10 Gift Card from Rocky Mountain MC!

** PLUS: All registered riders will receive a PromoCode for a discount for the Hall of Fame/AIMExpo ADV Ride! (check your confirmation email for code)

REGISTRATION

Pre-Registration Only. T-shirts to riders who register by midnight on Sept 1, 2015. After that date, t-shirts will not be available. Get your shirt, register early!
(all Paypal transactions will include 3% Paypal fee)

Rider Registration: $100

10% Discount For AMA Members: Use Promo Code: AMAMEMBER

Passengers: $45 (must register separately)

Registration will be handled through our on-line registration program. You can pay on-line or mail it in. Mail-in MUST BE RECEIVED by Sept 1 to get a t-shirt.

You can only register one person per email address. (two people need to use two different email addresses)

***** All information regarding the event will be emailed to the email address you provide at registration. *****

To Begin Registration Click Here!

This is going to be a great time, don't miss out on the adventure!

... and here's the link to 2014 C-FL: Everglades Edition

... and here's the link to 2013 C-FL: Cracker Adventure

We still have to set up an FAQ page. But for now, just gotta know that ...

1. Fuel is available approx every 50 miles +/-. There will be main gas stops and there will be other ones along the way.

2. Riders meeting is very important on an event like this.

3. There will be roll charts and gps track. Learn how to use both, learn how to upload and edit in your gps prior to getting the tracks so you don't get frustrated learning how...

3a. Roll chart holder will be useful, if you don't have one you can get one of the plastic kind from Moose (one of our sponsors!) or MSR for about $25-$30.  Our preference is for the "cartridge" style roll chart holder but they're all good.

Or if you want some serious handlebar bling, our friend Dave Hall can set you up with a mac-daddy aluminum one. Info on that one is at the link at the top of the page. Here's a picture of his roll chart holder. Click the link and it'll take you to Billit Innovations, his company...tell him your with DDS...

[2012-roll-chart-case]       http://www.billetinnovations.com/

4. Motorcycle camping is minimalist camping. You will need a camp chair. You will be packing your own stuff. This is an overnight adventure! Look into buying a bolt-on rack for your bike if you don't have one. There's plenty on Ebay, or pro-moto-billit, or do a Googley Search...

5. Lunch is on your own Saturday, dinner Saturday night (included) in the campground and also a continental breakfast Sunday morning. Nothing fancy, this is an adventure!

6. There will be one or two support vehicles for emergencies. We suggest making sure you have some kind of motorcycle towing coverage for major issues, whether it be a neighbor you can call to haul your bike home or something like MoTow if you're an AMA member...

7. Know how to fix a flat tire on your bike.

8. This is not a harley parade type thing, you ride your pace (but you have to keep an eye on your time and distance!), the group breaks into smaller and smaller groups as the ride progresses.

9. Tires are a personal preference. There will be limestone roads, sandy roads, and pavement. So you need something that can handle all three. I would suggest maybe a Conti TKC / Metzler Karoo/ Kenda Big Block, but that's just me... my personal preference is having a dirt road tire that is okay on pavement instead of vice versa...

10. Yes there will be sand, this is Florida. (Paved street-only route is run on all paved roads).

11. The route is designed to get you from point A to Point B in about 8 hours saddle time (add additional time for lunch, fuel stops and photos). Some will be faster, some slower. But the design was to shoot for 8 hours of saddle time. That is an average speed of roughly 30mph, so there's some built in time for breaks and pictures. The vast majority of roads in use will have a 45mph speed limit. Some will be 30mph, some 60. But don't dawdle too long! One flat tire will set you back to arriving after dark!

12. What type of bike is best?  Whatever one you want to ride. TW200 to Super Tenere, as long as it's street legal. Are some bike more comfortable than others? Yes. Are some bikes faster than others? Yes.  But that doesn't matter. What matters is that you have a bike that you can ride for approx 250 miles on dirt and paved roads, no off-road trails. No matter what you ride you'll end up with a sense of accomplishment, a story to tell, and a smile on your face. 200 or 1200cc makes no difference. It's an adventrure!

13. This is not a race. It's not an endurance rally. It's not an Ironbutt ride. It's a tour through the countryside with camping at night!  We plan our routes to be scenic, historic and packed with plenty of places of interest: old buildings, vistas, animals, etc. If you like touring, you're in for a treat. If you're in it to blow by everything and just get to the end as fast as you can, you'll miss the essence of the ride...

14. There will be a truck and trailer to haul camping supplies.... but wait, there's limitations as space is limited!!!!! ... if you have a big bike you can carry stuff. If you have a little bike, it may be more difficult so we can carry some of your stuff if needed. If you absolutely positively need us to carry something we can. Otherwise, you carry your own. On Sunday you are responsible for carrying your own gear back to wherever you are going.

15. Locations for lodging options other than the campground will be included in the information packet emailed to all registered riders.

That should cover everything so far I think....

Rain Dances With MiamiMike
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy

15. There will be a truck and trailer to haul camping supplies.... but wait, there's limitations as space is limited!!!!! ... if you have a big bike you can carry stuff. If you have a little bike, it may be more difficult so we can carry some of your stuff if needed. If you absolutely positively need us to carry something we can. Otherwise, you carry your own.

I'm putting in first request for trailer space to haul camping gear!....Assuming I find gainful employment before then.

2009 XT250 "XTacyIV"
BB

I Messed With Sasquatch
Reply with quote  #3 
Tried to register and pay with 3 different cards, a MC, a VISA and an AMEX and the thing said, and I quote, "this type card cannot be accepted".  Guess I better get a job and start paying my bills !!  LOL  Let me know when you get it fixed .....Thanks...BB
explorit

See Rock City
Reply with quote  #4 
I'm in. Paypal worked great...

Bill
13 KTM 500 EXC
15 Triumph Tiger 800

swampy

Reply with quote  #5 
Don't know what to tell you BB, that's a PayPal issue we don't have control over. There's been a few people after you so something is working.  You can always shoot over a check and we can fix your registration on the backside. [dirtbike]

I Messed With Sasquatch
Reply with quote  #6 
OK, it's all good. Paid my bills and they turned me back on !!! It was a Paypal issue. Fixed now. Seems someone with my name is on the FBI's most wanted list ??
ruans187

Got Mud?
Reply with quote  #7 
Swampy,

I am new member and want to go on the CFL ride. I wanted to ask if the tracks for the ride can be loaded onto a Garmin.

Thank you,

Juan
EvilScottie

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Swampy I probably missed it somewhere in the details above but can you tell me where this starts from? Not exact location but what city - wanna plan a non-hwy route and know how long a ride to get there ... from Tampa.
EricR

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #9 
I am in ...PayPal quick and easy.
Looking forward to seeing the URAL guys who fixed my flat tire last ride.
cotton

I'm Still A New Guy....Kick Me!
Reply with quote  #10 
All signed up. This will be my 3rd Cross Florida. Always a lot of Fun. Awaiting information on Starting Point (Greater Orlando- is a big place) and Saturday night ending location.  Two months out ---I need to make motel reservations at both points. I prefer not to camp. 
swampy

Reply with quote  #11 
Been busy at work so bear with me for delays....

Yes, the tracks will load into a Garmin if your garmin can accept tracks. You need to know how many points your unit can hold and edit the tracks accordingly. Each gps unit is different. If there are more points to a track than your unit can handle it will truncate which means it will cut your route short and only load what it can handle. Learn your gps unit before the information comes!

Camping is included in the entry, and that is where we will be having dinner and breakfast (unless something else forces us otherwise) hotels are about 8 miles away and they are small, do not expect a Motel 6... expect a small mom and pop motel... motels are on your own...

And luckily.... THE PERMITS ARE IN HAND.... yes PERMITS! The Foresty Department has been kind to us and allowing us somewhere they never had before! We will be traversing 3 forests, you will be visiting the remnants of ghost towns of which, Florida has the most of any state east of the Mississippi! It's a long process that we're putting together, a lot of research and so forth, so bear with us. There will be old houses, churches, barns, etc still in use. there will be places where the only thing may be a cornerstone of a post office. Old airstrips, railroad beds, bridges and former highways of the state now lost to time.

There will be a lot of dirt roads on this one, and yes some parts sandy. We'll also have some short more rough conditions for the smaller bikes looking for some bumpier options!

Tell your friends. Bring them along.

The discount code expires August 1 so if they want to save some cash they better hurry!

Reply with quote  #12 
We've got Virgina riders, Georgia riders and Florida Riders so far... 30 riders and counting...

Bikes range from WR250 up to GS1200, and one Concours for the all paved option...

Tell you friends. Early Bird Discount ends August 1!

[dirtbike]

Got Mud?
Reply with quote  #13 
I just registered, First ride with DDS and can't wait for it.
I have a Garmin Nuvi 40 and will be the first time attempting to load tracks into it. I'm not even sure if it will work. I guess better buy me a roll chart.
EvilScottie

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy
We've got Virgina riders, Georgia riders and Florida Riders so far... 30 riders and counting...

Bikes range from WR250 up to GS1200, and one Concours for the all paved option...

Tell you friends. Early Bird Discount ends August 1!

[dirtbike]

Any news on starting location?
supermotosean

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #15 
IN!  Not sure if I'm gonna bring the coffin this time or not.. Maybe I should start a poll [augie]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!