Author   Comment  
DRIVER

Reply with quote  #1 
Buell Ulysses vs. KTM 990 Adventure by Paochow.com

http://www.paochow.com/ulyktm.php

suzukidirtbike

BONGO!
Reply with quote  #2 
I found my 2008 Ulysses to be very fragile.  Beautiful and powerful, but very, very fragile.  It was my second American made bike.  My first was an Indian, when I was five years old.  I will keep trying to find the perfect American bike, though.  I have been looking very closely at the ATK with a Dual Sport package.  Hmmm...  there may just be hope for the American dirtbike market after all.

I think if I had to choose between the two listed above, I'd go with the orange import next time around.

DDS Lifetime member #0893
2007 Honda CB919 Hornet
1974 Honda XL 100
2003 Suzuki DR650 "SUPERTANKER!!"
ruans187

Got Mud?
Reply with quote  #3 
Why fragile?
suzukidirtbike

BONGO!
Reply with quote  #4 
Juan,
The Ulysses was fragile, due to the engineering designs that make it so cool in the first place. 
On must bikes, the fuel tank is easily removed and replaced when is gets tweaked, twinged, or twanged. However... When I layed my Uly down (ever so gently) the one thing that caused the insurance company to total it was a very slight ding in the frame/ fuel tank. As a frame ding, it was not going to be a huge problem, but when a motorcycle is involved in an accident, and the tank is dented. The tank must then be replaced. It would cost too much to replace the frame, so it was totalled... for a pebble-sized dent that could have happened by dropping it in your driveway.
One other gremlin that plagued this bike, was the inertia cutoff switch. The damn thing would shut the engine off in straight, level, unacelerrated riding without warning. This happened once, while I was passing a semi truck. This could have proved fatal. The local Harley dealer could do nothing to fix it. When the tank/ frame got dented. I gladly accepted the insurance company's offer.

DDS Lifetime member #0893
2007 Honda CB919 Hornet
1974 Honda XL 100
2003 Suzuki DR650 "SUPERTANKER!!"
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!