<< <
A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Register Calendar New Posts

Author Comment

EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #1 

Anyone know anything about these batteries? By their claims you think they could cure cancer.

Bert

Shorai Lithium 14 AH PBEq 12 Volt LiFePO4
ATV and Motorcycle Battery (+ -)

Shorai Lithium 14 AH PBEq 12 Volt LiFePO4 <br />ATV and Motorcycle Battery (+ -)
View Larger Image

Product Description

The Lithium Iron Phosphate battery is the ultimate in weight versus power technology. This battery weighs in at only 1.61 pounds and offers an incredible 210 C.C.A. This is a drop in replacement for your Lead-acid battery, and will require no change to your stock charging system.

Shorai LFX batteries contain Shorai-proprietary eXtreme-Rate Lithium Iron prismatic cells (chemistry LiFePO4). They contain no poisonous lead, no acid, and do not create gasses during charge, as traditional Lead-Acid batteries do. Compared to lead-acid, Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries are also extremely light, have much lower self-discharge, do not sulfate, and are environmentally friendly.

This is the heavy duty LFX14L2-BS12 battery. It offers an incredible 210 C.C.A., and the Lead-Acid Equivalent of 14 amp hours. It weighs in at only 1.61 pounds and yet still has the power to spin over even the most stubborn engines. Not only does this battery offer incredible advantaged over the lead-acid battery in weight, but also in physical size. This battery will effectively take the place of a YTX14AHL-BS in power, but it is not larger than a YTX4l battery.

We recommend using this battery in your regular commuters, your frequent play vehicles, and anything that may require that extra punch to start. It is the heavy duty version of the lithium Iron Phosphate battery for this size and has more starting power than the LFX07L2-BS12.

*BatteryStuff understands the importance of getting a replacement battery right away and usually ships all batteries the same day as ordered if received before 1:30pm (Pacific), however USPS does not guarantee delivery times with priority mail.

Features
  • No more dead batteries. Holds charge for one year without maintenance
  • Ultra light. One fifth the weight of lead-acid batteries on average
  • Twice to four times the service life of lead-acid batteries
  • Drop-in replacement for your OEM battery
  • Military spec Carbon Fiber Composite Case
  • Faster cranking for better starts
  • Super-fast recharge rate
  • No explosive gasses during charge, no lead, no acid
  • Environmentally friendly
  • Japanese engineering and components

Bert 07 KTM 300 09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050 01 XR 70 1983 Honda XL 125/185 1974 Honda Trail 90  03 Suzuki 50 quad 05 Yamaha 350 Raptor quad Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
JohnHardiman

BONGO!
Reply with quote  #2 

Got this exact battery in my 450 Honda, incredible lightweight & much smaller in size. Stock was about 80cca & I hoped this 210cca would be able crank  the hi-comp(13-1) piston with ease...didn't happen, however it seems like a good battery & holds it charge forever. The weight saving is huge compared to Lead acid.

Honda Z50R
83 XR500 Street Tracker project
Ural Patrol
04 Ural patrol
TEAM WANKER...Only Pussy's die of natural causes!
Member of the Solo Mile High Club!

Check out Team Wanker on Facebook!
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #3 
John,
Did you buy one of their chargers as you can't use a trickle charger like the battery tender I have?
Bert

Bert 07 KTM 300 09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050 01 XR 70 1983 Honda XL 125/185 1974 Honda Trail 90  03 Suzuki 50 quad 05 Yamaha 350 Raptor quad Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
JohnHardiman

BONGO!
Reply with quote  #4 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbarDP48
John,
Did you buy one of their chargers as you can't use a trickle charger like the battery tender I have?
Bert

I use the KTM battery charger, same as battery tender brand, no issues. When I purchased it I was told to just use your regular trickle charger. It holds a charge for a long time.
Why can't you use the regular trickle charger?
John

Honda Z50R
83 XR500 Street Tracker project
Ural Patrol
04 Ural patrol
TEAM WANKER...Only Pussy's die of natural causes!
Member of the Solo Mile High Club!

Check out Team Wanker on Facebook!
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #5 
I'm not sure. I saw review of these batteries and they showed a warning lable on the battery box which stated in Big Bold letters not to use a trickle charger.
Bert

wingam00

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #6 

Hope this helps

On Shorai web site:   

http://www.shoraipower.com/t-faq.aspx

. Can I use Lead-Acid battery chargers or charger/tenders? A.Yes. HOWEVER, you may NOT use a charger/tender if it has an automatic "desulfation mode", which cannot be turned off. We have confirmed with Deltran, makers of the "Battery Tender" brand, that their products do NOT have a desulfation mode, and are therefore OK for use with Shorai LFX, for example. But the best possible charger/tender for Shorai LFX is the SHO-BMS01, which will be released on about March 15th 2011, we expect. It uses the 5-pin BMS port in the LFX batteries, in order to monitor, diagnose, and balance the individual cells during charge. And it also has an optimized storage mode that will give the longest possible service life to your LFX.

If you are storing your vehicle and want to check the remaining capacity, or you're a racer with a constant-loss system, you'll want to know how resting voltage (i.e. with no load or load under 200mA) maps to remaining capacity. LFX batteries should be maintained such that 20% capacity remains at minimum, as best practice. Use a good-quality voltmeter to check remaining capacity, and consider recharge whenever the battery capacity falls to about 50% remaining. Of course, if you get the Shorai dedicated BMS01 charger, you can just hit the "Store Mode" button and leave it to do the work for you.

Q. Should I use a battery tender?

A.The short answer is "only if you really need to". Most powersports enthusiasts have gotten used to hooking up a tender to their lead-acid batteries, all the time. Shorai LFX have much slower self-discharge than the best lead acid do (1/6 to 1/7, on average), they do not sulfate as capacity drops, and they are the ultimate "deep cycle" battery, which means that they can still crank your vehicle even if the remaining capacity is quite low. Therefore most riders will not need to use a tender at all. Even a charger or tender uses energy you have to pay for, and there is always the possibility that a charger or tender can fail in some way, so if not really needed the best practice is to not use one.
A fully charged LFX can sit for a year or more and still retain adequate starting capacity, without damaging the battery. As such, any vehicle which has no current flowing when the key is OFF should never need a tender. At most it should be charged every 6 to 12 months, depending on the average storage temperature (cool storage is much better for any battery). Many older vehicles and most dirtbike/atv fall into this category.
Newer vehicles may have a significant draw even when the key is OFF, to maintain clocks and computers, etc. In this case we expect that a few hours of riding per month will be all that is needed to avoid tending. If you know that you will go a number of weeks or months without riding, you can either attach a tender, or disconnect the negative cable from the battery. In any case, during storage you may use the voltage chart above and an accurate voltmeter, and consider recharging when the battery is around the 50% capacity remaining mark, or above.

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #7 
I placed an order yesterday with Batterystuff.com

http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/LFX14A2-BS12.html

I'll report in and give a review as soon as it arrives.

Bert

Shorai Lithium 14 AH PBEq 12 Volt LiFePO4 <br />ATV and Motorcycle Battery (+ -)

EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #8 
I received my battery today and proceeded to install it.

One thing I can say for sure...This thing is light compared to most batteries. Almost toy like.!

It comes with an assortment of foam blocks that allow you to take up the space in the battery compartment.

Here is the Shorai battery beside the battery from my 690 KTM.

You carefully cut the foam pieces to mimic your stock battery size.

After foam is placed along the sides of the battery.

Installation is pretty straightforward.

I'll let you know how it holds up here in the Florida summers.

Bert

corndogs

Burrito Bandito!
Reply with quote  #9 
I had one, it felt junky, batteries were not totally tight in box, the terminals were flimsy.  Had a ballistic which I liked better but it went bad, now I'm using a braille lithium battery, nice termials we'll see how it works in the longrun.

Reply with quote  #10 
Installed this Shorai battery on my KTM530 in December.  Nothing negative to report, which is positive.

The radiator cooling fan kicks on frequently, lights are constantly lit and I always use e-start and the battery has not needed a charge in three months.   

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbarDP48

Anyone know anything about these batteries? By their claims you think they could cure cancer.

Bert

View Larger Image

Let's Listen To My Barry Manilow Albums!
Reply with quote  #11 

I just purchased one from Rocky Mountain ATV.  $102  free shipping.  must be a lot of technology packed into that small package.  My original battery lasted a long time. Hope this one last longer.

TEAM DUMB-ASS [member#001]
TEAM SMART-ASS

A good rider has balance, judgment, and timing.......so does a good wife.

Randy and Robin West

Growing Bolder not Older

'03 GL 1800
'01 DRZ 400

I like slow walks on the beach & poking at dead things with a stick.
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #12 

Mine is still doing great and I've not placed the bike on a trickle charger.

The only thing I can complain about is the relatively wimpy terminals.

Bert

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!