Upcoming Events

AMA 2017 DS

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
Drt_Boy

DDS LifeTime Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Sunday Pre-ride report:

I wanted to get a good jump on the herd and I also wanted to ride in the cool of the morning ...... so I left the fire tower at 7am and rode down goat road to devils creek road and picked up the route there. 

Just before getting to the turn-off my bike sputtered to a stop.  I checked that the petcock was ON and the choke was IN.  Took another stab at the starter and she started right up and ran perfect the rest of the day.

This was my first time on the route as I didn't get to work with Swampy during ribboning.  I found a few ribbons down but trail was easy to follow if you kept track. 

I got to the lunch stop just minutes before the food showed, (great timing Laura) ate and got back on the trail.  However, I ran out of steam a few miles later.  I took a wrong turn and almost droped the bike in water (for the second time) and I realized I was getting too tired to continue.  Riding solo one really needs to be realistic, so around "BB" I turned around and worked my way back to a graded road.  From there it should have been an easy ride home.

I ended up on Center Grade Rd heading toward 471.  I relaxed a little.  Rough stuff was behind me and it was just a matter of steering back to my car.  HA!  The road was mostly in direct sun but there is a place where it winds through a hunters camp and the road is in shade there.  Well, there must be some clay on the road surface because while negotiating a gentle right turn I gave just a little extra throttle.  Wham, the rear wheel steped out, to the point I was sliding completely sideways, full lock, feet on the pegs.  It happened in a nano second.  I was just waiting to get high sided onto that hard trail.  My natural instince was to chop the throttle, that brought it back but the momentium swung the rear wheel out the other way but not as much as before.  I was lucky to control both slides without taking feet from pegs (no time) and I didn't fall.  I saw this happen to Rich Bumar once, but he shot off the trail into the ditch.  Man, now I can relate, it happened so fast ...... too fast to think.

All in all a very fun day.  Didn't crash and burn and kept my pants on.

DB

'14 Honda MSX125 Grom
'99 Aprilia SR50
wingam00

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #2 
Glad you are Safe and no crashes (almost ones do not count.).

But what about pictures?

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
rjohnson

I know McPush, and you Sir, are no McPush!
Reply with quote  #3 
DB:

Glad to hear from you, and especially glad to hear you had so much fun with your pants on!

Reply with quote  #4 
Glad you made it without incident (well major incident) Jack. And it's good to know that no towels were needed this year. That's an inside joke to most of you.
Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
JerryIUP

Just How Many Barricades
DOES Bob Have?
Reply with quote  #5 
Swampy and crew thanks again.  A great ride and a very good lunch.   Africa, the bike ran great, gracias for you effort. 

Chef Kirk, killer chicken wings and steak!

Shooting the breeze the night before with all the guys was almost as much fun as the ride.  At least dryer anyway. 

For those that want to stay near Richloam for a weekend should check out the cabin at the Sertoma Youth Ranch.  It was cheap and relatively humane.  Would stay again in a hearbeat.

Cheers!

Jerry

Jerry Detz
11' KTM 990 ADV-R
08' KTM 450 EXC-R Plated

"Riding, Mediocrity, and Excessive Alcohol can help all attain a full and rewarding life." ......TEAM WANKER
citationdoc

They're Always After
Me Lucky Charms!
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drt_Boy

I ended up on Center Grade Rd heading toward 471.  I relaxed a little.  Rough stuff was behind me and it was just a matter of steering back to my car.  HA!  The road was mostly in direct sun but there is a place where it winds through a hunters camp and the road is in shade there.  Well, there must be some clay on the road surface because while negotiating a gentle right turn I gave just a little extra throttle.  Wham, the rear wheel steped out, to the point I was sliding completely sideways, full lock, feet on the pegs.  It happened in a nano second.  I was just waiting to get high sided onto that hard trail.  My natural instince was to chop the throttle, that brought it back but the momentium swung the rear wheel out the other way but not as much as before.  I was lucky to control both slides without taking feet from pegs (no time) and I didn't fall.  I saw this happen to Rich Bumar once, but he shot off the trail into the ditch.  Man, now I can relate, it happened so fast ...... too fast to think.

DB

I hit the same spot after lunch.  There was some of that green moss on the road under the trees...

Great ride! Thanks to Swampy and the layout crew.  I didn't get too lost.  Thanks to the "Snake Bite Medicine Man" as well!  Saved me from dehydration after the ride!

Mr. Hardiman - I tried to "friend" you on facebook, but apparently there is a Wanker blocker on  that site.

1992 Beta Zero
MrSmooth

Hey! You're Blinker's On!
Reply with quote  #7 

I had a great time. Thanks for laying out a really nice route Swampy and crew. Great to ride with John, Rich B, Kirk and Jerry again and I enjoyed meeting and riding with Peter. The mighty Berg did really well. I was worried about making the 55 mile lunch mark but between back tracking and getting lost a couple of times we were probably to 66 miles by lunch but my low fuel light didn't come on. And riding with John and Peter we weren't exactly idling around. I'm looking forward to riding more events like this.

Burrito Bandito!
Reply with quote  #8 
Excellent ride. I can't believe the mighty 230L made it! Don't have time to do a little write up like I'd like to do, but I did want to post up. Big thanks to everyone that made my first DDS ride such a great one. Swampy and crew for putting together an awesome, challenging ride and everything that went with it. To Steve for the numorous things over the weekend; tire, cabin, tools, etc! I wouldn't have been able to start, let alone finish the ride without your help man. Can't thank you enough! Thanks to Kirk for the tools and help with tire install and Jerry and Pete for the added help on the tire spoons. Sheesh, who else?! Great weekend with a lot of great people. Enjoyed meeting and riding with everyone of you. Can't wait to do it again guys!  
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #9 
I didn't get a lot of pictures on this ride but here are a few.
Here Mr. Clean gets ready for the mud at the riders meeting

Riders get their instruction from the Grand Poo Bah

Bikes were prepped and ready for action

Rich Bummar was the first to SR 471. I'm not sure how he got there before Johnny H.

Bill pulled gas truck duties and made sure everyone had gas...That didn't sound right did it?

Lunch was served

Repairs and replenishment took place at lunch

We even managed to semi celebrate Stubs Birthday.

Some chose to take the short route back and improvised instructions were given.

Bill even earned a new handle

And in the end, the Pharaoh spoke and issued the decree that from this point forward DDS would include a ride that...as Kirk put it," Not everyone could finish!"
By the way, did anyone see Kirk?

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
jakbrand

Reply with quote  #10 
"So let it be written...so let be done!"

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #11 

NOW THAT PHOTO IS PRICELESS!!

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

MetalMan

They're Always After
Me Lucky Charms!
Reply with quote  #12 
Great weekend guys! Like jerry said I enjoyed our TEAM WANKER grilling and drinking session almost as much as the ride itself. . . .  

Not many things I'd rather be doing than riding with my regular buds Jerry, Johnny and Peter! Nice to see Scott, Jeff, Tom, Steve too. Thanks Swampy for a great day!

BTW - Who was that jackwagon on the Honda who kept splashing everyone!?!? WANKER!!!

03 GasGas 280 PRO

"I'm growing older faster than I'm growing up!" . . . TEAM WANKER
cycleman

What The Heck Was THAT?
Reply with quote  #13 
I really enjoyed seeing my dirty old friends again and hearing stories of encounters with the swamp.
Jack, I am very familiar with the slick spot under the oaks on Center Grade, I almost lost it there a few years ago, and know of some bad crashes at the same spot. Always being shaded by the oaks keeps the lime rock from drying and makes it slippery as, well, er, ice.

I ended up with 2 unclaimed gas cans after the ride. If the owners will PM me, I'll see that you get them back.

Its great to be associated with such a fine group of people and I'm looking forward to seeing y'all next time..........Bill
toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #14 
Maybe the name for next year's ride................

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

sfront

Rain Dances With MiamiMike
Reply with quote  #15 
That was probably one of the funnest DDS rides I've been on.
Thanks Swampy and crew for another fine event.
As far as Team Wanker goes........Does it get any better????
Good meeting you Tom, Scott, Kirk, and the new guy Kyle. Well done.
Great bunch of guys! Damn Jerry, can you eat!!!
I've got a bunch of pix to go thru tonight and Pete might have some video.
That camera stuff is always a crapshoot! We'll see what we get.
Thanks Team Wanker for counting me among your members......yeah I said members.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!