<< <
A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Register Calendar New Posts

Author Comment

EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #1 
Well, I believe fall will finally arrive. The humidity was down last week as was the temperature.
And with the arrival of Fall, my mind turns to North Georgia... and this time Alabama too.
Wing man Bob Mehl and I will jump on the V stroms and head North October 16th. We'll make our way to Suches in a rather fast sprint, Turn Left at T.W.O. and then through Cheaha, finally arriving at Barbers motorsposts park to catch the AHRMA vintage Motocross national on Sunday the 19th.
We'll return Monday October 20th, tired but with a huge grin on our face.

I'll even have a new toy to take with me as I just ordered a Garmin Zumo 450 for the V strom.
I'll get plenty of pictures and post them when we get back.

Bert

Bert 07 KTM 300 09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050 01 XR 70 1983 Honda XL 125/185 1974 Honda Trail 90  03 Suzuki 50 quad 05 Yamaha 350 Raptor quad Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #2 
Our destination

AHRMA /Legends of MX National Vintage Motocross
Round 19 of 21

Bert 07 KTM 300 09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050 01 XR 70 1983 Honda XL 125/185 1974 Honda Trail 90  03 Suzuki 50 quad 05 Yamaha 350 Raptor quad Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #3 
We'll we made it back from another epic southern US tour yesterday.
We had perfect riding weather, save Friday morning. A front came through and we rode from Pine Mountain to just below Chattanooga in a constant rain.
It was still all good and the front brought in cooler (read coll) temps to boot.
I'll have plenty of pictures to post once I get them uploaded.
We decided to spend more time at Barbars so we cut our route short.
Statistics...
4 1/2 days
1450 miles
50 MPH moving average
Riding through
Pine Mountain Ga.
Ft. Desoto State Park Al.
Cheaha state park Al.
Highway 25 (past 29 dreams) into Barbers.
Sequoyah Caverns Al.

And this is just for starters.

Bert

EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #4 

Thursday Morning and I'm starting out late. I meet Bob near 98 and 19 around 11:00am and we hit the road headed North.
We head through Timber country on a NE heading North of Fanning Springs and enter Georgia by way of Madison Florida. 
We're on a tight schedule and my being late didn't help us any. I don't stop to take many pictures this first 1/2 day ride, but we pass plenty of the places in South Georgia I've come to love....like this spot in the middle of nowhere.

Our plans are to make it to Albany and further if we've done good. We done good and made it a couple hours further to Pine Mountain. This is where Callaway Gardens is located and home to some great roads. We were able to use the last bit of sunlight up as we wound our way through the twisties on Ga. Hwy 190. This runs through Franklin Delenor Roosevelt State park along a very nice asphalt ridge.
Friday morning we were up but the weather didn't look good.

Bob didn't seem to mind so we grabbed our rain gear and proceeded North.

We ride through a pretty good rain for most of the morning. The rain let up about the time we hit the northernmost point in our journey.
We'd travel through towns with funny sounding names like Ephesus, Bowden, Tallapoosaa, Cave Spring and Coosa before ending up in Summerville and turning West on 48. Our Northern most destination was going to be Ft. Payne Al. just South of Chattahoochee Tn.

I'll have more on Thursday.
Bert

EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #5 
Our destination after lunch will be Ft. Payne. I've wanted to ride this area for some time. I've seen a few ride reports from this area and wanted to add one of my own.

Here we are on the way to Desoto Falls.

Lots of large rock like this line the road as you head to the falls viewing area.

Hummmm, Maybe we should have brought the KLR.

A man made dam holds lots of water back and creates a nice little lake.

As always, you can't seem to get a true sense of scale from a picture. The dam is about 20' tall as is the first small fall.

The big fall is about 200' deep. I didn't get a picture, but there was a house just to my right overlooking this fall. How would you like to get up each morning and see this in your backyard?

A closer view of the small fall

Next up the caverns.
Bert

DRIVER

Reply with quote  #6 

EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #7 

Next up, we head to Sequoyah Caverns.
A funny side story. We go right past the Cloudmont Ski lodge...Yes in Alabama. You'll find more information about it here.

http://forum.dixiedualsport.com/tool/post/dixiedualsport/vpost?id=2287804.
As we turn into the driveway to the caverns entrance we spot this very familiar painted barn roof.

As we wait for the tour to start, Bob spots an odd bird.
Here...Bob tries to sneak up on him.

Say hello to Eddy. Seems he's been around here for quite some time.

To repay Bob, Eddy tries to sneak up on Bob.

The entrance of the caverns looks rather unimpressive....except maybe to Samantha.

Turn off the flash and enter the area that never sees sunshine and the caverns come alive.

Thats pools of water on the floor reflecting the image.

Here's few more.

Stalagmites Are on the floor and reach to the ceiling and stalactites come from the ceiling towards the floor.

Any that meet in the middle are simply called columns

Sorta looks like something from outer space.

At the end of the tour we are shown a room that has huge fault lines In the roof of the caverns. It truly looks like large tertis blocks in places.
That's a picture of Chief Sequoyah in the background.

This was our tour guide. She was a for real country girl. If you ever get by here, make sure and ask her about the bear story in the cave. She'll know what you're talking about.

More to follow.
Bert

MiamiMike

Official DDS Dance Instructor
Reply with quote  #8 
Way Cool,,,Bert,,,,

So These Sequoyah Caverns,,,is this a park ..National,,,State ?? or private

Is this in Alabama ,,how much for the tour $$$$ do they give tours everyday

Thanks for the report

Reply with quote  #9 

Mike, Sequoyah Caverns is located in the uppermost portion of NE Alabama. It's located near Ft Payne Al. where Georgia, Tennessee and Alabama meet.   
 It's also near DeSoto state park. Cost is $13 if I remember correctly and the tour takes about 1 1/2 hours. I believe they offer tours throughout each day.

Here's a link.
http://www.sequoyahcaverns.com/

Here's a map.

View Larger Map

EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #10 
As we leave the caverns I have to get one more shot of the barn..this time with the bike.

We head into Ft DeSoto state park and spot this small fall.

While we were there three other riders from Florida pulled up. (didn't get a picture) and told us they rode up and one of them was in an accident that totaled his ST1300 Honda. Seems he had a brain fart and pulled out in front of a car. It took his front end off and deposited him on the ground with only sore bones, bruises and a few scrapes. He had almost 200 K on the ST and was looking forward to rolling into the 200K milestone on this trip. He's lucky to be alive.
A dedicated rider, he went to the local shop and bought a Kawasaki 250 to complete the trip. When he got back he was going to give it to his son.
Did I say he was lucky?

One of the coolest things at Ft. DeSoto was Mushroom Rock.

Pretty neat huh?

I saw a picture of this a few years ago and that's what made me want to put this stop on the ride.

The back side offered some cool views as well.

Lets see, I think I can just squeeze through the crack.

There are a number of pull offs along the winding road that allow a great view of the canyon below.

Check out the road on the other side

And you can just make out the house on the other side of the canyon.

If you have the chance, make it through this part of Alabama. It's a great place to visit. I wish we had more time to spend here and explore.
Next up Cheaha and Barbers

Bert

geohound

Rain Dances With MiamiMike
Reply with quote  #11 
UNIMPRESSIVE?!?!  OK, I"m a little biased. One of my goals in life was to visit every cave in the US. They are WAY cool. At one point I had brochures to every cave.  Try going through the uncommercialized caves. Now THATS fun...unless you are claustrophobic. 
And here's how you remember your cave lesson for the day: "Mites go up, but Tites come down"
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbarDP48

The entrance of the caverns looks rather unimpressive....except maybe to Samantha.

Stalagmites Are on the floor and reach to the ceiling and stalactites come from the ceiling towards the floor.

2009 XT250 "XTacyIV"
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #12 

We make it to Oxford around 8:00PM Friday and make a mental note to fill up first thing in the morning as I'm down to may last bar on the fuel guage.
Saturday morning greets us with chilly but sunny weather...perfect for riding.
We make our way towards Cheaha and I realize I never got gas.
I know Cheaha has a pump, but with all the gas supply issues in this area I wonder if they actually have gas in the tanks. We're committed now, so we press on.
I arrive in Cheaha with the last bar on the fuel guage flashing "hey dummy..get gas".

I pull up to the pumps and I'm very happy to pay the $4.35 (when we've been paying $2.80 everywhere else) to fill my tank.

We ride through Talladega and into Pell City where we find this neat old drug store. When was the last time you saw a Rexall Drug store like this.
Since 1903 and it still operates a soda fountain and grill.

We take hwy 25 into Barbers, just past 29 Dreams motorcycle campground is a switchback that offers a great view. We stop to take a few pictures.

Bob ponders the universe....or how much further till we get to Barbers.
Not long now my friend.

As we get back onto the Hwy 25 at the switchback, we notice that a couple has just gone down on their bagger Harley. Sand in the middle of the curve at the switchback is the culprit and it put them into the guardrail and then onto the asphalt. Nobody was hurt bad, but the Harley had minor, but expensive damage. Sorry, I didn't think to get pictures as we tried to slow traffic down in each approaching direction while members of their group helped them get the bike up and off the road.

Back on the bikes and to Barbers we go.
My next post will be filled with bike pictures, not from inside the Museum but from the bikes we found in the parking lot or the Swap meet.
Here's a few to get you started.

How about a 1947 Gilera

Or a Diesel built off what looks to be a Honda CX 500 platform.

Odd...Yes but if it was ever made, you'd find it here today.

EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #13 
As we pull into Barbers, I'm a little shocked at the amount of people. The hills were alive with activity. We finally found a place to park and made our way to the flea market section. Lot's of bikes of all shapes and sizes. Some running, some not. Almost any part or bike you could think of was represented.

I'll simply post the pictures for your enjoyment.

Plenty of spreads like this.

An old CZ enduro

Early Honda

Can Am was represented

As was Penton

Here's a cool old Triumph

There were plenty of old MX bikes on hand

Nice Velocette

The brown leather jacket adds a nice touch

Don't see many Triumph drag bikes

Some of you still remember the mighty Kawasaki Z-1

And let's not forget the Kawasaki Smoker triple

Sweeeeet Vincent

and another

I don't know who this guy was, but he had some examples of bikes that looked better then new. These were perfect.

This Honda XL 250 was part of his collection. We must have seen 15 of these, but none as nice as this one.

Bob checks out a sweet Penton

Another nice collection

Another couple great CZ Motocross models

and

How many of you have ever seen a Simplex?

Just too much cool stuff to post

I'd really love to have one of these little Honda Scambler models

For you Hodie Heads

More bikes and races to follow

Bert

kawazukimaha

Good, Bad, and Ugly
Reply with quote  #14 
Man..... It is sooooo great to see so many old bikes being preserved and kept well. It brings a tear to my eye to see these bikes in such good condition. Thanks for sharing the experience.

79 XS650 Project
06 Triumph Tiger

"Life Changing is when you no longer have a Bike"
jakbrand

Reply with quote  #15 
Bert,

Very cool collection.Handy photo work too.

I owned a 1973 Chaparral 100 and it looked like this pile of parts most of the time.

Quick Navigation:

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!