Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

AMA 2017 DS

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #1 
I've been wanting to get my YZ250 dirty for some time so Bob Mehl and I headed for Hard Rock Cycle Park in Ocala this past weekend.
The great thing about this place is that they have 5 motocross tracks of various types and levels. They also have a hare scrambles track.
We rode the hare scrambles track, the Roller Coaster and the Outback track.
It's been over a year since I was last on a track and my arms were feeling the burn.

It's not hard to spend a day at this place. If you ave a chance you should check it out.
By the way, they don't call it Hard Rock for nothing. The dirt that collects on your bike will dry as hard as a rock. Wash your bike soon...maybe even look for a pressure washer somewhere close by.
Bert

http://www.hardrockmx.com/

TRACK INFORMATION

DIRECTIONS

Hardrock Cycle Park is located at the north end of Ocala on C-25A, 3/4 mile south off SR326 (Exit 358 from I-75). 

MOTOCROSS PRACTICE SCHEDULE 

-  Monday - 10am to 5pm - All tracks
Tuesday - 10am to 5pm - All tracks
Wednesday - 10am to 5pm
Thursday - 10am to 5pm - All tracks
Friday - 10am to 5pm
Saturday - 10am to 5pm (except for a specific track that may be scheduled for a race)

Sunday - 10am to 5pm - All tracks (except for a specific track that may be scheduled for a race)

NOTES:  1.  Racing type ATV's are invited to practice on all MX tracks.  No utility or trail type ATV's are not permitted on tracks or trails.
                 2.  Bicycles are permitted in the pit area, but not on the tracks or trails.
 Mountain bike trails are not available.
                 3.  See race schedules by clicking here for motocross. 
                 4.  Call 352-732-6697 before you come to insure there are no special events

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
Yamahakid

Knock, Knock...
Reply with quote  #2 

I've been there also and had a great time. Plenty of hills to climb, off camber, and several tracks to ride. I would run intermediates to hard terrain tires, sand tires wouldn't work so good unless you stay on the sand track. We raced there at the AHRMA vintage/post vintage nationals last year and ran the main track. For those that want to see some old dirt bikes, vintage and evo m/x races, go check the national coming up in March at Gatorback in 09 at Gainsville on Feb. 26,27, 28 and March 1st.

EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #3 
Hey Yamakid, You'll enjoy these pictures from the AHRMA event at Hardrock earlier this year.

http://forum.dixiedualsport.com/tool/post/dixiedualsport/vpost?id=2537777

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
Yamahakid

Knock, Knock...
Reply with quote  #4 
That's some good stuff there Ebar, I actually seen all of those that you took pics of. Some were so nice that they should be in the AMA museum, especially those BSA's.
I was hoping you might have got a pic of my white 81 YZ 465. I rode the gp 500 and 50+ intermediate classes where we went 1-1 and 1-2.
 I plan on going to Gainesville to race the Ahrma event to start off my bike week in 09, then to River Ranch for the GNCC, back to Daytona for the Alligator enduro and hopefully there is a dual sport event somewhere I can do. (How about it Swampy?) Then watch the S/X at Daytona.
Hope I can run into you somewhere.
swampy

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
hopefully there is a dual sport event somewhere I can do.

tentatively the 6 & 7

the 6th being a limited number tour and we'll cover about 200 miles...all sand...well... a little pavement....

Reply with quote  #6 
You'll be able to relate to this picture then. This is my 81 YZ 465 in 1981.
I was 1981 vintage before vintage was cool.
Bert

Bert

Yamahakid

Knock, Knock...
Reply with quote  #7 
Thats pretty sweet Bert, is those real leather pants your wearing?
Where was this taken at? I just got back from a Fl. Vintage race in St. Pete this past Sunday, we were actually at the old M/X track they used  back in the 70's when they held the ama outdoor nationals there. It's way different than what it used to be, but it was still good to go race there. I will have to send you some pics of my white 465.

Randy
Yamahakid

Knock, Knock...
Reply with quote  #8 
Sounds good Swampy, I'll see if I have anything left in me after the enduro.
I did do a ride with you guys way back about 10 or so years ago. I borrowered a XL 650 and grabbed my better half and we ended up crossing a ferry at Salt Springs I think, went over for lunch and rode back from there. I also remember a huge sand road going under some power lines somewhere in the ONF, then hit the hard road and stopped for gas. That 650 was a load trying to keep up on top of the sand with two of us riding that thing.

EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #9 
Hey Yamahakid..did you get the PM I sent you?
Bert

Yamahakid

Knock, Knock...
Reply with quote  #10 

I just got it, I sent you a reply.

Jim

Damn! Missed The Turn Again!
Reply with quote  #11 
Where is St.Pete was/is the track you are talking about Yamahakid?

On that Motocross Files TV show several of the racers talk of a national event in St.Pete also.

The only possible location I could think of was the Sunshine Speedway.
I think they had an MX track there in the 70s??

Reply with quote  #12 
Sunshine Speedway is the location of the old track. I'll have to dig up some old pictures from a couple Nationals I went to back then. Pictures of marty Smith, Kent Howerton, Bob Hannah, Tony D.,Rokect Rex Staten (on a Harley 250 no less) to name a few.
Bert

Yamahakid

Knock, Knock...
Reply with quote  #13 

Thats it, Sunshine Speedway. It still is in the same location with the drag strip next to it, but as I was there this past Sunday, all the surroundings has changed with industrial buildings all around it.Seen many races there, we even had local talent there including Kenny Keylon, Joey Gratten, Steve Edwards and the two Buckingham brothers. It was some good times.

Yamahakid

Knock, Knock...
Reply with quote  #14 

Speaking of the Motocross Files, John Desoto will be featured this Sunday on Speed channel @ 6 or 6:30. Then next Sunday, Jeff Stanton will be on.

EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
we even had local talent there including Kenny Keylon, Joey Gratten, Steve Edwards and the two Buckingham brothers

I raced with Kenny when he was a kid. Never raced head to head with Joey Gratton..I saw him a few years ago and he was racing boats.
What about Kippy Pierce, Monte McCoy, John Joyner, Karl Taylor, John and Ron Rienholt, Robert Westrerman and..and..and

Check out this site..you'll love the vintage stuff. I raced at all these places and smelled the sweet smell of two stroke oil as I waltzed back into memory lane.  http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Old-School-Moto,22/Orlando-Sports-Stadium,65749
Bert

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!