Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

2019 Event Has SOLD OUT IN 25 HOURS!

Author   Comment  
bonkerpro

Got Mud?
Reply with quote  #1 
And I guess the other side is, "Where is it against the law to ride off the pavement in Alabama?"

I recently acquired a DR650 and plan to begin scoutiug out the nearby dirt roads and other legal areas to ride.

Can anyone share a rule of thumb or guide me to specific information about where it is legal or not legal to take a DS motorcycle?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Damn! Missed The Turn Again!
Reply with quote  #2 
Rick,
There are several riders on Adventure rider form who live in Alabama. One rider debandi(?) lives near Birmingham I think. He does alot of posts and ride reports out scouting central Alabama. He may be a good source.
I would think your question is related to a road legal dual sport.
So, any public road,street, highway, etc.. I would think. Unless some Alabama rider can advise different. Swampy and crew do alot of scouting near Anniston for the DDS DS event in that area. I think he follows the public road rule. As a kid in Huntsville we road everywhere. Every trail, fire road, power line service right of way, etc.. I'm sure that was not legal, but back then, 1970s, I don't think anyone cared. We only avoided the No Trespassing Signs, which were very few.

Got Mud?
Reply with quote  #3 
Jim, thanks.  I also rode the power lines and other trail opportunities in the early 70's until I went into the service in 1972.  After that more of my riding was on asphalt.

What I want to know about the off-pavement legalities is whether I can, for example, take the double-track road across country through the national forest down on the southern Tuscaloosa - northern Bibb County line.  There is a little road that angles off of Bibb County 1 near Pondville that comes out near the ranger station over in Hale County -- with a pass through a wooded corner of Tuscaloosa County.

No doubt there are countless other scenic opportunities!  And I basically want to avoid a ticket or any other such issue.  I figure there are enough perfectly legal opportunities that there is no reason to court the risk of restricted venues.  Beyond the hassle and potential costs, I hold a class A CDL and any ticket I get is taken more seriously by my insurer.

Thanks again for the feedback.  I have seen some of debandi's ride reports on AdvRider but had forgotten that he is local.

Best,
Rick

Reply with quote  #4 
Basically what you are asking is for ORV or OHV areas since you wanna ride off-highway (this includes dirt roads as they are highways)

Alabama has many trail systems for dirtbikes and atvs.

Perhaps you need to begin by looking here.

The other part is what many riders are too lazy to do (don't fall into the trap of always asking where to go ride!). GO EXPLORE!

Start with a map and your location, draw three circles around where you live: one at 10 miles, one at 25 miles and one at 50 miles. Now ride every road in those sections working your way out. You will come up with a unique view of your local area and a special ride you take!

Keep your riding to legally acessible roads. You'll find plenty, you'll find deadends, private property and gates. Don't tresspass, just move on on to the next road!

By this time next year, you'll be an adventure rider and always looking for those new opportunities!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!