A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

2019 Event Has SOLD OUT IN 25 HOURS!

Author   Comment  
patearp

Whoo Hoo!
My First Post!
Reply with quote  #1 
I bought a used KLR 650 that only had 2500 miles but the previous owner had put on street tires.  What are the best tires to purchase to go off-road.  Any help would be appreciated.
wingam00

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #2 
Welcome to the DDS dirt pile patearp!

Tires are like cars, some like Ford, some like Chevys and then some like etc...  A lot depends on you, your bike, your riding stye and your budget.

If is a good tire report by tom62262 - link- http://forum.dixiedualsport.com/post/tire-review-6065122?pid=1275508719#post1275508719

The one thing that all motorcycle tires have in common is that none of them last long enough.

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
KLRinDixie

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #3 
I've used D606's and currently use Kenda 270's on my KLR 650. I commute 20 miles of interstate every day to and from work, and also trail ride. 606's were LOUD, and only lasted about 2000 miles. They worked well off road, but I didn't care for them on the street. 270's are the best compromise I've found yet in a tire. They do well off road in everything but gumbo mud, and are very predictable on the street. I have over 2000 miles on them, and expect 5-6000.

Reply with quote  #4 
Speaking of compromise and the search for the ultimate 50/50 tire ... check out the Heidenau K60.  After ruining yet another tire on my  F800GS (AKA - nail magnet) I got the K60 and thus far am very pleased with it. 

Of course I saw the price on the Kenda that KLRinDixie mentioned which made it look that much better.  

Mike

tomr62262

This Week's
Winning Lotto Numbers:
3-16-17-22-35
Reply with quote  #5 
I like the round black ones
1996 Suzuki DR350
1976 Honda Elsinore MR175
1947 AJS Model 18
++Past++ Listing all my past bikes just shows I'm old and explains why I still work for a living.
ElijahBrooks

Kazoo Virtuoso
Reply with quote  #6 
I'm running Kenda 760 Track Master II. Top speed is only 80mph but they grip well on road and are the best dirt mod you can get.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!