Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

Registration Opens January 2, 2019

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Ob1quixote

ELO Kiddies
Reply with quote  #1 
I am testing a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 {7in screen} for enduro trail mapping duty. The unit has a built in GPS. There are a number of mapping apps that allow a satellite photo to be overlaid on the GPS tracking, and allow the maps/photos to be cached while on WiFi for later use offline. This is important for my use, since overhead photos of fields and woods roads are easier to orient to than topo or nav maps.

Even found a bicycle bar mount, see how healthy it is for dirtbike use...

Stay tuned for further test reports...

swampy

Reply with quote  #2 
RAM makes a mount and cradle for the Galaxy pad.... I bought one about 4 months ago and took a spin on the Tiger.... far too big.... My 276c has about the perfect size screen and resolution....

ELO Kiddies
Reply with quote  #3 
I am needing the satellite view and zoom ability on a larger screen than my Etrex to make sure woods sections are used efficiently. 

I do the same thing after the fact with my Etrex and Google Earth, looking to do it live in the woods.
sfront

Rain Dances With MiamiMike
Reply with quote  #4 
I've been thinking about doing the same thing for a while now.
Just not sure how robust the Tab would be.
Keep us posted!

Just How Old IS Dirt, Exactly?
Reply with quote  #5 
Swampy, What brand is that M 276c?
Yaller Foot Pegs $#8.95 plus shippin ( Damn gas )
Snap Off Foot Peg Company
But wait....
Due to the current economy shippin has gone up

Tiger Tom
Turn Signal Tom
Pops

05 KLR 650 (a future in farkling)
01 KTM 520 Tagged
77 CanAm 250 Qualifier
73 Penton 125 Six Day ( Restored )
95 Triumph Tiger( First DDS Tiger )

If your gonna be stupid you better be tough.( Damn, I gotta start workin out )

If it looks deep...it's deeper. Yep, ask Johnny Africa.

The best way out of most situations is more gas.
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #6 
Tom its a Garmin..But it's discontinued now. They still bring a preimium price online when you can find them.
I have one I use on the 690.
Here's some on Ebay right now.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/GPS-Units-/156955/i.html?_nkw=garmin+276

Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
jeknow

Anyone Seen TurnSignalTom?
Reply with quote  #7 
Glad to see something about this stuff. I don't own any of this for the moment not even a smart phone. I'm one of those people born in the 50's that's tech. challenged. I haven't decide what to get yet, haven't started looking seriously yet so I'm glad to see others trying things outta the box. Educate me. 
jeknow

Reply with quote  #8 
Swampy I really like the look of the one you posted nice big screen for us with older eyes. I guess that model can load up all the bells and whistles?
swampy

Reply with quote  #9 
Steve.... the tablets are too flimsy.... mine vibrated and shook like hell on my Tiger when I went for a street ride. RAM mount and cradle...wouldn't even think about taking it off-road...

Jeknow and Tom, it's a Garmin 276 (they also made a 376). As Bert said they still bring a premium price even as being discontinued. I find it easier to use than the Zumo series. I like the "overview" tracks and not the 3D stuff like you get in a car system. The screen is plenty big and it has more bells and whistles than I know what to do with!

OB1, good luck with your tablet quest.... I tried it and it wasn't for me....one good whack from a tree and that's all she wrote! You know your smart phone can do that as well. I have a bracket for mine and the software...but don't like that either...

Reply with quote  #10 
So hows it working out OB1?

I think if someone came out with a real sturdy cradle and mount system it may work out better, and with the size of the new Notes.....should be good!

ELO Kiddies
Reply with quote  #11 
Havent received the mount yet, and I am still testing the apps. I started with Path Away. I have not been able to get the sat overlay or get it to record a track, probably operator error. It does cache the maps an allow zooming. The next app I plan to look at is Trimble; they seem to have a good support system.

As far as tree hits and vibration, remember, my use will be trail layout. This means it will be more likely to be carried on foot or mounted on a small Kubota tractor.

If I want it on the bike, and the mount is flimsy, I will probably use a large patch of industrial self adhesive Velcro and attach it to a spare lid to my Moose roll chart holder.
Ob1quixote

ELO Kiddies
Reply with quote  #12 
There are substantial mounts out there, someone searched this one up for me.

Mine isnt nearly as sturdy as that, have to see how it works. When it gets here, it should look something  like this.

jeknow

Reply with quote  #13 
Wow that mount looks like it could work. You'd have to see if it's good for a bike with a motor. Been looking at the 276's and 376 on ebay and noticed they're all for marine use. I suppose you'd have to get different soft ware for these? This is all new to me so if I sound dumb about this I am. I'm really like the look of the tablet especially the screen size and I guess you can down load or subscribe for maps for these.
Ob1quixote

ELO Kiddies
Reply with quote  #14 
That mount as shipped isnt very good. I had a feeling it would work out that way, but rolled the dice anyways. I would not suggest anyone buying one, unless they intend on using for parts or modding it.

The band attachment is not secure, perhaps a mod to use a hose clamp? The tab holder plate snaps into the ball joint base, would need some epoxy to be secure. The ball joint is good, thumbscrew tightens and holds nicely.

Parts to play with, the tab mount plate is actually nice! very secure!

swampy

Reply with quote  #15 
Jeknow: the 276 and 376 are marine chart plotters. They work well on a bike!

As for the tablets, This is the one I have for my 10.1

Flimsy it is!

I'll sell it if anyone wants it!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!