Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events
AMA 2017 DS

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 7      1   2   3   4   Next   »
rjohnson

I know McPush, and you Sir, are no McPush!
Reply with quote  #1 
2011 was the best Devil's Creek yet.

A HUGE THANK YOU to all of you who made this year's DC such a success:
  • Pre-riders
  • Sweep Crews (In Driver's case, Rake Crew)
  • Road Crossing Crews
  • Tech Inspection
  • Check-In
  • Bullshoot coordinators
  • Lunch Coordinators
  • Swampy
  • Every single volunteer who helped make it so easy on folks like me who just show up and ride.
Your hours and hours of work did not go unnoticed or unappreciated.

Now--

Let's see some posts and pictures---

Let's Listen To My Barry Manilow Albums!
Reply with quote  #2 
I'm nursing a couple fractured ribs, but I survived to talk about it.

JerryIUP

Just How Many Barricades
DOES Bob Have?
Reply with quote  #3 
Bruce,

WTF??  Hope you are kidding.

Jerry

Jerry Detz
11' KTM 990 ADV-R
08' KTM 450 EXC-R Plated

"Riding, Mediocrity, and Excessive Alcohol can help all attain a full and rewarding life." ......TEAM WANKER
kawazukimaha

Good, Bad, and Ugly
Reply with quote  #4 
Riva de Diablo!!!! The river of the Devil.

Thanks to everyone that made this 15 year old event a success. Swampy, you have managed to make this one the best yet! How did you pull off the weather? Connections?

Great times.... Later, CUZ.

01 Suzuki DR-Z250
06 Triumph Tiger
96 Yamaha XT225 (Mel's bike she doesn't ride)
79 XS650F Rode it from 1985 to 94 Needs TLC
75 DT250B Since I was 19 

"Life Changing is when you no longer have a Bike"
Flboy

"Insert Clever
Slogan Here..."
Reply with quote  #5 
What a great time. Thanks to all who take time out to organize this ride for us... The weather was perfect for riding... not too cold or too hot. No rain. The trails were just wet enough not to be dusty, yet the water was low enough not to be a big hinderance. It was great. Let's see some pictures!!!!

Bruce, I hope you are doing better. That stinks that you broke some ribs..

Let's Listen To My Barry Manilow Albums!
Reply with quote  #6 
I was overdue for a crash. In hindsight I can identify at least 3 factors, one of which was I was riding too fast and braking to hard in the sand ....with brand new D606's that where overinflated..I could feel them plowing, but I ignored it...

It was a simple everyday get-off...my fat ass just landed wrong...

swampy

Reply with quote  #7 
I guess this Devil's Creek was like a Johnny Cash song...

We were "Ghost Riders In The Sky" and we did it " One Piece At A Time", "I've Been Everywhere", hung out around a "Ring of Fire", and "Walk The Line " at the water hole...

Just How Many Barricades
DOES Bob Have?
Reply with quote  #8 
Bruce,  Maybe J Africa will trade out some of his bruised ribs for your fractured ones.  Heal up quickly. 
Jerry

Jerry Detz
11' KTM 990 ADV-R
08' KTM 450 EXC-R Plated

"Riding, Mediocrity, and Excessive Alcohol can help all attain a full and rewarding life." ......TEAM WANKER
kismet

I Like To Ride Nekkid!
Reply with quote  #9 
Report to RCDR upon my return home:

Your Queen of Slow is recuperating from altitude sickness after spending a weekend in the highlands of Florida- i.e. the mountainous area where the Devils Creek Rodeo takes place every year, courtesy of the fine folks at Dixie Dual Sport.

Important stuff first: it is confirmed that I am the slowest rider not only in North Florida but in Central Florida as well. Just to cover all bases, I achieved that designation in both adventure and dual sport riding. Nobody else was even close. At the end of day one Swampy called me on the cell phone to make sure I was ok since the sweep crew could not find me. They were a smidgen worried.

And you thought that going this slow was easy? HA.

Anyway, my first event with Dixie Dual Sport has proven to be a fascinating experience.

Venturing into new territory has required understanding and translating the language of the natives. One really had to be there. For example:

- "Devil's Creek is a little wet" is along the lines of "the Sahara is a tad sandy"

- when Swampy says: "folks, it is not a race" it really means "it is not a Daytona race- it is a hare scramble! Duh!"

- ditto for "respect the speed limits"- it means YOUR OWN personal limits- and if you do not have any, then you are ok

-“ there are some changes in today’s route” means….. “some alligator wrestling may be necessary- but the gators are small”

“ take the bypass around the worst water holes” means…”remember Carls Diner at Erzberg? Well, sorta, but muddy”

- the more beautiful the scenery, the faster one should go- not to be distracted by it.

Having absorbed the basics and survived the experience without damage to limbs or wheels, here are some personal conclusions:

1) Pink ribbons and orange ribbons are not interchangeable- unless you also want to ride the Richloam enduro while you are in the area.

2) The route sheet for the Sunday ride is not the same as that for the Saturday ride.

3) Those who need reading glasses should not be in charge of the roll chart

4) Those who do not like following instructions should not be in charge of the roll chart

5) Ex-racers go into convulsions when somebody else passes them; if it is three girls going like stink, then it is meltdown- not a pretty sight (but real fun to watch.. from the rear!)

6) If conditions 3,4 and 5 above apply to your riding companion, you better like riding alone, especially in unfamiliar terrain. Luckily, I do. Less arguing at every crossroad. (Always think positive).

7) If you have to lose a wallet full of cash and credit cards it is best to do it in a poor town of migrant farm workers, as it will be returned to you IN-TACT (no jokes!)

8) Knee pads are a really fine idea. Do they also sell wristpads?

9) Deep sand sucks in central Florida as it does in North Florida. (See 8 above).

All in all, the ride was easy, the navigation a bit of a challenge.

Great food, great folks, great place. LOTS OF FUN!

We will definitely be back when the creek does not rise.

THANK YOU SWAMPY AND GANG!  See ya at Black Bear!

foster home for "Torpedo" KTM 505
DRIVER

Reply with quote  #10 
What is it about the Creek?  Maybe the infectious mood of good times just takes over.  All that matters is that you seem to see a lot of smiling folks. 

Little things fell into place like they should and suddenly it's over.  And I echo the thoughts above that it just keeps getting better and better.  I tried to help (a little bit) and am still amazed at what Swampy and his family manage to pull together.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  And to all who volunteered to help, a big thanks.  Thanks to Sertoma for giving us a home.  Thanks to the Forestry Department for once again signing that important permission slip that allowed us to play in the dirt.  Thanks to all who rode nice in the sections where you were asked to behave.  (Trust me ... the natives were restless )     Heck, even thanks to the singer who put that dang song in my head for the rest of the weekend !  (I got it one piece at a time)

But then this is DDS so who would expect less than a good time?

Oh ... kismet ... great post!!! 

Mike

stubbjr

Hey! It's My Birthday!
Reply with quote  #11 
  When Swampy said " don't ride over your head " I couldn't help but think; is that while going through the water holes?
  Official Cash-Creek song:  How High's The Water Mama?
  Had a great weekend, thanks to ALL the DDS family.
  More to follow.
  Rick
  05EXC400

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #12 

WE NEED PICS!!!! WE NEED VIDS!!!! 

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

stubbjr

Hey! It's My Birthday!
Reply with quote  #13 
  BTW, there was a Moose tool bag and a length of rope found on the last half of Sundays route. It was left on the table next to the coffee stuff in the pavilion. I hope it was found by it's rightful owner. Also, my brown dog was walking around dragging his leash and when we found him there was no leash. Did anyone find a black leash?
 Rick
 05EXC400

Reply with quote  #14 
Yo Stubb,

Kawazukimaha coined it later in the night... he replaced

"How High's The Water, Momma" with

"How High's The Water Swampy"

Whats' with all the Johnny Cash References anyway?
Oh yeah! You hadda be there!

Reply with quote  #15 
Let's start off with some pre-riding pictures...

Special Thanks to the pre-Riding/Ribboning/Routesheet Crew:

Jack "DirtBoy" Lambert
Dave "Billit Guy" Hall
Steve "Count-Me-In" Vaughn
Steve "Slash"
Rich "Sound Guy" Bumar
Bill "RidShark" Whalen
Tom "MudMagnet" Rooks
Brian "Frosted Pig" Pratt
Mike "DRIVER" Driver
Dave "DR Dave" Smith

We only have 2 weekends to verify routing, route sheets, hang ribbons, ans reride to make sure it all works! Lotsa work from these guys!

Thanks guys!

Let's start getting down and dirty with some picture from two weeks ago when it was dry...

The Bee Hive Road

Powerlines you rode on Day 2...

South Boundary Road....

...and the part bypassed on Saturday because it was now flooded...

Let's get the ride started!

Quick Navigation:

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!