A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

AMA 2017 DS

Author   Comment  
bork

They're Always After
Me Lucky Charms!
Reply with quote  #1 
Looks like approx year has gone by since this has been mentioned. (according to the search file) Any more input? Good or bad?? Do they still track if your in thick woods?

BONGO!
Reply with quote  #2 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bork
Looks like approx year has gone by since this has been mentioned. (according to the search file) Any more input? Good or bad?? Do they still track if your in thick woods?

They will track as long as you have a clear shot skywards. Thick wooded areas may be a problem. The new Spot can be linked with an I-phone to send Text messages as well. Generally they seem to work pretty good.....Yuppie 911 system

KTM 500XCW KTM 1190R KTM 300 XCW Honda Z50R 83 XR500 Street Tracker project Ural Patrol 06 Ural patrol, Sherco 3.0                   TEAM WANKER...Only Pussy's die of natural causes! Member of the Solo Mile High Club! Check out Team Wanker on Facebook!
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #3 
In talking to Jack Burton, they can send limited Text messages...i.e. Send help, I'm okay, or a couple custom meassages that (I believe he said) had to be pre programmed.
I watched a live map trace/trail view of him while he was out west earlier in the year.
That's a nice feature when you out in the middle of nowhere Utah...Not that I'm planning to go out next year or anything.
Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
jakbrand

Reply with quote  #4 

If your adventures take you solo into the wilderness and family depends on your return, then it's the responsible gadget to carry.

They're Always After
Me Lucky Charms!
Reply with quote  #5 
Well, I'd like to get one so I can explore & make a fun long route, but in the mountains, spring/summer the trees are thick & this is why I was wandering if I could be spotted if something happened to me. Dont know if I could crawl to an open area. Do I hear banjos?

Look At The Size Of THAT Tank!
Reply with quote  #6 

I ride solo often and would not leave home without it. I even have tracked a few of my rides for a log book which seams to work well if not expecting starwars like technology. safety is only is good as you are prepared. redundancy helps.  scott--- brooksville fl.

97 BMW F650GS FUNDURO
            02 HONDA CR250
rjohnson

I know McPush, and you Sir, are no McPush!
Reply with quote  #7 
I use mine whenever I ride solo, or if I'm riding with Bert.......

Reply with quote  #8 

Quote:
I use mine whenever I ride solo, or if I'm riding with Bert.......

And I make sure Rocky has his Spot in proper working order when he rides his KLR 1000.  

Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
bork

They're Always After
Me Lucky Charms!
Reply with quote  #9 
freedom5 quoted, "I ride solo often and would not leave home without it. I even have tracked a few of my rides for a log book which seams to work well if not expecting starwars like technology. safety is only is good as you are prepared. redundancy helps.  scott--- brooksville fl."
But does it get signal out when in thick canopy of trees?

President:
Chinese Buffet
Fan Club
Reply with quote  #10 

I got a SPOT2 for some long trips I have planned this summer. I’ve registered on SPOT’s site and tested it out. It appears to do what it's supposed to. I paid for the additional tracking so everyone can keep track of my whereabouts on these trips. 

I didn’t find a lot of good mounting solutions for it and ultimately landed on Ram’s EZ-Strap Mount (CLICK). Ram makes good products and for a strap mount it seems fairly tight on the bar. The one thing I really like is that it has a much lower profile than other Ram mounts. Note my Ram GPS mount in the photos below. The EZ-Strap itself is $12, and then the SPOT bracket was another $10. They offer brackets for other devices too. Not yet field tested, but it looks like a pretty decent mount for the SPOT.

ThumpRider

They're Always After
Me Lucky Charms!
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill

I didn’t find a lot of good mounting solutions for it and ultimately landed on Ram’s EZ-Strap Mount (CLICK). 

Here's some unsolicited advice Bill; Strap it securely to your arm, above your bicep.

The SPOT will do you no good if you get separated from your bike in an accident and can't reach the bike due to your injuries or the device is jarred loose from the ram mount on impact and can't be found.

I don't go on any trips where I know I might be in an isolated area (including on the boat) without the SPOT.

Whenever I start the trip, I have a custom message that lets the wife and kids know I am on the move. The message has a link that allows them to track me. When I return from the trip the same message lets them know I have arrived safely.

Alternate messages allow you to communicate delays or non emergency requests for assistance (come find me, I'm broken down and stranded with no cell service).

Finally, for a few bucks more you can add medi vac helo service to your spot.

Down and badly injured in bumfrog AZ? No problem.  Hit the button, the cavalry comes to your precise location and if your in bad shape, they can call in the helo and they know it's paid for. 

For the all money we spend on seats, farkles, etc.,.. this is a must have if you do any remote riding.

Bill

President:
Chinese Buffet
Fan Club
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpRider
Here's some unsolicited advice Bill; Strap it securely to your arm, above your bicep.

It’s ironic that you mention an arm band because the SPOT2 actually comes with one. There’s no reason that you couldn’t strap the gadget on your arm and ride off into the sunset. The main reason that I have SPOT though is for the tracking service. Here’s a picture of the arm band that came with my SPOT2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpRider
For the all money we spend on seats, farkles, etc.,.. this is a must have if you do any remote riding.

For sure!

Thanks for the advice...I'm definitely a rookie when it comes to these sort of things.  

swampy

Reply with quote  #13 
The arm band is good for adventure type riding. For aggressive off road a good place is the strap of your camelbak or on your chest protector. 

And while we're at it, make sure you carry a whistle as well. I have mine attached to the camel back much like you attach it to a life preserver...very inexpensive location device so help can find you! 

They're Always After
Me Lucky Charms!
Reply with quote  #14 
Good advice Swampy! But I hope its an Oscar Meyer whistle, other wise I'll be  thinking cops are chasing  me! Better yet! get the ice cream truck music, & everyone will come! Also carry some kind of lighter, for making a Husky signal fire, as on "Any Sunday"

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bork
Also carry some kind of lighter, for making a Husky signal fire, as on "Any Sunday"

I had forgot about the Husky fire.  Then again it maybe best not to have a lighter so one would set their bike on fire.

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!