Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

2019 Event Has SOLD OUT IN 25 HOURS!

Author   Comment  
TNdualsport

Declined A Position In The Obama Administration
Reply with quote  #1 
I was wondering if anyone else has used the Sharai lithium battery. I went to get a new battery for my Husqvarna TE449 last year because I was having problems with hot start ups. I got sort of ganged up on by sales people who told me that I would be crazy to buy anything but the newest technology battery available. I bought the battery and the charger and it has worked for me really well.
Now my BMW R1200GS needs a battery, so I called to see what a  Shorai would cost for it and they said they don't carry them anymore. I couldn't get a straight answer as to why except for some warrenty problems.
Anyone else used the Shorai batteries?
I'm thinking about getting something else for the beemer.

Reply with quote  #2 
It is a really cool item, weighs about as much as a pack of cigarettes.

BONGO!
Reply with quote  #3 
Use them in most of my bikes. I got "sponsored" deal with Shorai & actually run a Ballistic in my race bike, it was a freebie. Some folks have had some issues with Shorai, however I love em. ALso running a Shorai in my Stand up Jetski & very happy.
Check Amazon for best prices

KTM 300XC, KTM 1190R, 1988 KTM 350, Sherco 3.0 Trials, 79 Husky 390WR, Honda XR650R, Honda Grom,  Yamaha Zuma, KDX200, KX500, Apollo Pitbike,                TEAM WANKER...Only Pussy's die of natural causes! Member of the Solo Mile High Club! Check out Team Wanker on Facebook!
jakbrand

Reply with quote  #4 
Tim,

I installed Shorai batteries in four different bikes.  All batteries are still in service. 

The oldest battery is a three year old 14a Shorai battery in a KTM 530 stored out west. Last winter the bike sat in storage for nine months and turned the motor without any problem.

I believe lithium batteries will eventually make lead acid batteries obsolete. 

Reply with quote  #5 
I just spent $85 for two old skool batteries at our local battery store. I don't plan on much more than 3 years a battery anyway... how much do those new fangled thingees cost anyway?

Reply with quote  #6 
They cost over 200 bucks for the Beemer. I bought a $75 battery today for it. I do like the Shorai in the Husqvarna though. It really kicks hard and it was around 100 bucks. I think the charger was something like $60.

Reply with quote  #7 
I bought a Shorai for the DRZ a few weeks ago.  Went to Barneys to buy a replacement Yuasa and the Shorai was less than 20 bucks more.  I did the battery upgrade mod a bit back so the battery is sized for a CBR1000.  Your cost may vary ...

I would not have purchased it if I could not have used my current charger.  Per their website ... 

Q. Can I use Lead-Acid battery chargers or charger/tenders?

A.Yes. HOWEVER, you may NOT use a charger/tender if it has an automatic "desulfation mode", which cannot be turned off. We have confirmed with Deltran, makers of the "Battery Tender" brand, that their products do NOT have a desulfation mode, and are therefore OK for use with Shorai LFX, for example. But the best possible charger/tender for Shorai LFX is the SHO-BMS01. It uses the 5-pin BMS port in the LFX batteries, in order to monitor, diagnose, and balance the individual cells during charge. And it also has an optimized storage mode that will give the longest possible service life to your LFX. 

I will not leave it on the charger all the time but simply top it off on occasions.

Mike
toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #8 
I need to replace the batt in the Tiger..........I'll give those a look. [thumb]

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

kawazukimaha

Good, Bad, and Ugly
Reply with quote  #9 
Hey Mark, I got a battery for my Tiger for $40 from amazon shipped.

01 Suzuki DR-Z250
06 Triumph Tiger
96 Yamaha XT225 (Mel's bike she doesn't ride)
79 XS650F Rode it from 1985 to 94 Needs TLC
75 DT250B Since I was 19 

"Life Changing is when you no longer have a Bike"
toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #10 
Thx Andy, Me likey that price for sure!

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!