Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events
AMA 2017 DS

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 8      1   2   3   4   Next   »
swampy

Reply with quote  #1 

This is the official threadof the '08 Devil's Creek.

Devil's Creek: The Ride

We started The Creek back in '96 and it has been a blast ever since. It has always been a ride for experienced riders and not one for people to cut their teeth on and learn the sport. We added the Adventure ride to the mix back in 2000 to get more folks involved, learn about using route sheets, and as a way to get to know other DDS members.

So basically, it's two events in one! An adventure tour of the countryside, and a dual sport ride.

This year was no exception.

Let me also say here that The Creek has grown to international fame. We have riders from Canada, the Bahamas, and Micronesia. We also had riders from Texas, Michigan, Ohio, Georgia, Louisiana, North and South Carolina, and yes, Florida!

The adventure ride had it's fair share of adventure! 190 miles in length, it involved a full loop of paved and dirt roads in Central Florida and a full day to ride them. Lunch was with the other riders at the the lake, and 40 riders adventure riders had a chance to tell stories and look at bikes, such as Nick's Super Tenere, a few KTM 950's, Buells Uly's, GS's, DR650's, KLR's, DRZ's, and Samantha XT's while they shared lunch with the other 100 muddy dual sporters.... Now Samatha has been a steady rider ever since the creation of the Adventure ride, she's been on each one, and you can always tell she's having fun from the smile on her face and the little XT that keeps up with the big boys!

Saturday and Sunday Dual Sport (115 miles Saturday, 120 on Sunday. Your mileage may vary...)

The Saturday Dual Sport was a "Classic Creek". To begin with, this was not the wettest we have ever run. 2004 was wetter, and '98 was even worse, and we actually cancelled and rescheduled the 2000 ride! (That's when we moved from having the event in wet rainy July, to where it is now in dry January)

Today it was nothing new. We actually used last years route, which at that time was dry and was called the best Creek route ever. It's amazing how things change in the Swamp with three days of rain, isn't it? The water level was up, and riders were made aware of this and options were available to bypass here and there. The majority stuck to the main through the swamp section, out through the praries and into the cypress until they reached lunch.

The holes were all passable, if people used their heads, thought about it, and listened to advice. But alas...folks never do, and they have a wild time picking the wrong lines, making things harder than they have to be, and producing great picture moments!

Sunday. This is the part I always like on a two day event. It happened to me back in 2001 on a ride in NC. Saturday was tough cold and wet, made some folks miserable and question what the heck they were doing. Everyone bailed on Sunday except for 8 of us, and it turned into one of the best rides in my life. Sunday at the Creek did the same for a lot of riders!

Sunday still had mud and water, though less of it and more easily passable. By 10 am the sky the sky was blue, the sun was out and the forest was alive. Water levels actually dropped overnight as well... The route used higher and dryer woods sections, and I even threw in my favorite road, which twists and turns more than Deal's Gap...maybe we'll call it the Swamp Dragon section from now on...it was so much fun, John Hardiman and Andy Flux looped it back three times, and a couple of other groups rode it twice as well...

Lunch appeared to be a tremendous hit. Ribs, chicken, beans, slaw, brownies, Texas Toast, table settings, dressed up servers, all at a beautiful lakeside pavillion... people were raving about the food, the portions, the seconds... even at the Bull Shoot they were talking about the ribs! Waht impressed me was on Sunday at lunch. People who bailed on the ride and were loaded up to head home, drove to the lunch stop to have lunch first...THAT says a lot. So guys, I'm tellin' now: Miss Linda and Company WILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR! (She even asked if we had caterers for our other rides! Wouldn't that be cool going everywhere and having our own caterer....) Anyway, like I said before, it was Mrs Swampy's idea...

The Bullshoot Bonanza. A brainstorm, or at least an off the cuff remark which turned into reality will now be known as Bert's Bullshoot Bonanza. A brainchild set up to feed the hungry (riders and family), shoot some bull, and be entertained, all in one place!. The fire was goin' the Bull was being slung, food was prepared by everyone, Dust To Glory on the big screen and Strubbjr brought the coolest cake (the twisted SOB that he is), but you'll see a picture of the cake in Bert's post...that has to be the most photographed cake this side of a wedding!

Anyway, overall everyone had a great time. There were a few bikes flooded out and hauled out of the woods on Saturday, no one got hurt, and Mike's Cycle Center even sold a KTM on the spot late Saturday, prepped it and had the paperwork done on Sunday morning and it was ridden on Sunday!

The Creek is one of the Big Four "must do" southern events (The Creek, The Hooch, Oktoberfest, Cheaha) and has a flare all it's own, thanks to our unique and ever change swamp...it always creates somethimg memorable...and that's why it's always a desireable ride to be in on...

It takes over 500 man-hours to pull this off, and it's a lot of work to make sure you have a memorable time. A special thank you to the following:

Mike DRIVER and DrDave: Sweep extrodinaire! They pre-rode the past three weeks, hung ribbon, and came back to push everyone through the course. Sweep is a thankless job and just about the most difficult and frustrating one there is. Thanks guys.

Jack "Dirtboy" Lambert and "Turnsignal" Tom at the road crossings. We are required to have crossing guards as part of the permit to use the forest, and these two guys did a heck of a job. It's lonely at first, then folks drive up, stop, shoot the bull, then take off and they wait for the next group until the Sweep Crew comes through... Thanks guys... much appreciated...

The Sound Crew, always led by our own environmental engineer Rich Bumar (rich_in_orlando), everyone get's to meet Rich! Plus he always seems to recruit people interested in learning the ways of the Sound Guru, so for all his volunteer assistants, a big Thank You to you too!

Sign-In Crew. What can I saw about the Mrs. She loves you guys. She looks at The Creek like many of you do, another National Holiday! She get's excited about it, keeps me in-line and always comes up with another way to improve the process wheteher it's sign up or breakfast each morning. By the way, you guys owe her Big Time. Miss Linda was HER idea! Therefore, she's now in charge of registration and food...at least that's what she told me...and thanks to Laurie & Tim and little miss Aubry too!

Mikes' Cycle Center and KTM USA for being an integral part of the Creek for the past two years. Some dealers and manufacturers throw gifts and items and say have a good time. These guys show up, with bikes for people to ride, and they ride. Mike has sold many bikes to DDS members over the past few years (even me!), and he even sold one AT the event THIS year, plus sold a bunch of parts people needed (like brake pads!)... and if the wife says it's okay, you may see me on a 990 Adventure soon... (please honey?)

And to the others who were able to give a few hours here and there, or a day's riding to help with the route sheets or ribboning: Rob "Suzukidirtbike" Parker, Jim Osborne, Bill Walls (pre-rode everyday!), Bill Whalen, Bert Barnes... Thanks guys. You make it happen...

Oh yeah...and especially to Bert who took the BullShoot by the horns and made sure it happened!

...and here now....is da pics!

Each day starts with tech. here's the crew in action... Rich Bumar, the Sound Guy, is an environmental engineer by trade, and this comes naturally for him!

Setting up the route sheets Saturday morning...

Nick and Ken having a bit of breakfast...

Rick Stubblefield dreaming of a new bike and trying to figure out a way to tell Becky he just bought it...if you find the answer let us know so we don't get in trouble either!

The Apollo guys trying to figure out how long it will take Mahone to to run out of gas or get stuck...Mike Mcleod guessed 5 Sections...Stubblefield came closest at 10 sections...

Just a scene from the day use area...

...anyone seen McGillicuddy's bike?

...on to the woods...what a great morning...

CAUTION: Children At Paly

...a cool pick just past the bike-eater...

...it was soo bad I drove my truck to this spot....

which was just around the bend from the bike-eater...seen here is how it got it's name... it was even marked TWICE on the route sheet to go around, but a little closer to the edge than this.......

Some folks need to get some ridin' boots....

...the last few bike escape the bike-eater....

On to Sunday mornin'...

Changes to the route to remove the section that swallowed the Sweep Riders, and a bypass around two increadibly large water holes...

John Hardiman and Sweeper Mike Driver prepping the new routes sheet edits...

The KTM guys waiting for the riders meeting....

Dry uplands to start things off...

Bob " The Crazy Canadien" Boyce and Jack "I'm Having Too Much Damned Fun" Brown taking a quick break at a reset....

The always fashionable Tom Kidd, in striking orange gear, green bike and brown mud accents. What every well dressed dual sporter will be looking like this year. Notice Rob "suzukidirtbike" Parker standing helmetless looking on in awe...

Graembo coming through a water hazard. We had to let him play through. Seems he found a sand trap later on his way to the green...

DKO Dave making tracks enjoying the day as he always does.

This picture is for Dottie: Yes, Ralph is really out with us, not hanging around those Bingo parlors...

This shot was just what it looked like on Sunday at 11am in the woods...beautiful day. You guys that bailed on riding Sunday... well... You missed a winner...

I like this shot of a water hole i was pointing people around. The swamp is just beautiful. I love it.

Okay...now on to you folks who can say you Survived Devil's Creek 2008!

This One Time,
When I Was Flying A Blimp
Over Italy....
Reply with quote  #2 
ITS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now where is my guide duck

Attached Images
jpeg Photo_012508_005.jpg (407.01 KB, 58 views)
jpeg Photo_012508_004.jpg (431.82 KB, 42 views)
jpeg Photo_012508_003.jpg (356.63 KB, 35 views)
jpeg Photo_012508_002.jpg (344.10 KB, 49 views)

SM171

Now With 20% More
Off-Road Goodness!
Reply with quote  #3 

Some pics from today.

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #4 

Some nice pics!  Looks like some of you had a nice lunch?  We missed it due to water challenges.  However, we had a great time riding.  We're going to be there for lunch for sure tomorrow!

2000 K1200RS, 2004 Ducati ST3, 2006 Ducati Multistrada, 2007 KTM 459EXC
Donco

This One Time,
Over Italy....
Reply with quote  #5 
Some video from today.
We get a little wet.
Me, Risk, MiamiMike, Bob(Homie), Adventure 95004.

DirtBikeMike

DDS LifeTime Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Wow, now that looks like fun.

Flow black water....keep on rollin'

DBM

http://www.youtube.com/user/DirtBikeMikeHubbard
stubbjr

Hey! It's My Birthday!
Reply with quote  #7 
 I'll bet a lot of riders were wishing they had installed a "paddle" tire.Great ride, wonderful food, and the Bullshoot was a success too. Great way to get everyone together. Big red Honda did good enough to loan out for the Sunday ride.
 Rick
 XR650L

Reply with quote  #8 
Great ride and great people at the 08 Creek.
I'll be posting the pictures/video I ran at the BullShoot Bonanza soon.
Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
Flboy

"Insert Clever
Slogan Here..."
Reply with quote  #9 

Awesome ride... Keep the pictures coming.

DDS Rocks!
Reply with quote  #10 

Donco

This One Time,
Over Italy....
Reply with quote  #11 
Alright guy's, if you were not able to make the ride, then you missed a excellent weekend of riding.
Here are a few video's of Me, MiamiMike, Risk, Adventure95004, Bob (Homie) to let you know what you missed.

It was nice meeting everyone.

Rob your dad is in this one.

graemebo

Hey! You're Blinker's On!
Reply with quote  #12 
Great ride, really enjoyable, a couple of photos from yesterday and today. Thanks Swampy and crew, great dixiedualsport.com event.

Ready to go.

A sight I came upon often, ChrisE, Dirtfun, John10:10 and Rod patiently letting me catch up.

ChrisE carefully studying the impromptu manual wheelie class.

I don't think I was the only one concerned the smoke was from the upcoming lunch stop.

Dirt bikes in the lean.

ChrisE giving the KTM a little front tire massage.

Dirtfun, the only time his feet touched the ground. Like many of you, a fine rider.

I would also like to thank my riding buddies for waiting up for me at the corners and restarts: ChrisE, Dirtfun, John10:10 and Rod. Great riding with you.

DirtFun

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #13 
Our group didn't make lunch on Sat and we kept hearing about how good the ribs were.  I wanted to wear my new Devils Creek T-shirt on Saturday on the way home but wouldn't because I felt I had not earned it yet!
  Well, we came back for round two and I'm reporting we had a great time, the ride and weather was excellent for blasting around the forest and yes, the ribs were the best I ever laid a lip!  Now I can wear my new T-shirt!

Would like to thank the many riders who always stopped to ask if we were okay, even if we were just taking a "natural break." 

ChrisE, Graembo, John10:10, and Rob, thanks for a great time!

2000 K1200RS, 2004 Ducati ST3, 2006 Ducati Multistrada, 2007 KTM 459EXC
Donco

This One Time,
Over Italy....
Reply with quote  #14 
You never know what you'll see in the forest.

swampy

Reply with quote  #15 
Comments from my email:

Thanks again for putting on a great dual sport ride. the ride,the sat dinner and movie was great.also i think that was the best catered lunch we have had on these rides.
 - Bryon Pocock

Thanks to you, your family and others for arranging a great event.  The location, routes, BBQ lunch, breakfast stuff, videos, movie and dinner were all great.  I like your rides that have a place to camp/stay at the arrival/departure location.  It makes it a lot easier on the logistics.
I look forward to another one soon.
- Nick Nichols (Yamaha Super Tenere)

Quick Navigation:

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!