A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

AMA 2017 DS

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
purpleflyhunter

DDS Rocks!
Reply with quote  #1 
Made my first real attempt at taking the DRjr off-road. Set a destination for Croom from north Pinellas county via 41->Ehren->Belhamy-> etc...  I walked up to the office window, told the friendly fella I had no idea what I was doing or how to go about doing it. I tell ya, they've got a wonderfully friendly and apparently thoughtful staff at Croom. He must've made note of how they would keep track of me since I was by myself several times, making sure I wasn't lying there, injured and all alone at the end of the day.  

Being my first time there, my main goal was to just familiarize myself with the area, rules, protocol, and other niceties of sharing that space with other riders (users). I felt very much out of place being on a plated dual sport since all I witnessed were mainly 2 strokes. (It's amazing how many senses those machines can touch! I don't think I'll ever forget the smell that lofted around those trails at every corner.) Still, I got the feeling the overall consensus is friendliness and respect for each other on the trails, be it large, small, or 4-wheeled.  

I had an incredibly fun time time dealing with the anxieties of having no idea what I was doing or where I was going. I just kept saying to myself..."Head up. Balls of your feet. Elbows out...Head up. Balls of your feet. Elbows out..." Mind you, this was the first time I had ever really felt the slide of the rear tire or the twitch of the front tire in the sand. Reminded me of my very first kiss. It may have looked awkward but I had role-played that intimate scenario so many times in my head, it felt great no matter what it looked like to any possible onlookers! 

I tithed to my fellow motorcycle brethren and purchased a year pass. I am very much looking forward to meeting up with others who have a better idea of where to go in the park. I may have started exploring on a particular trail but very quickly found myself just wandering, then, feeling lost wondering if I'd be able to make it back to some place that looked familiar. I guess that added to the fun I was having but that main road on the east side was like a pacifier.  (Post-hoc review, I'm almost confident I didn't even breach the availability of trails that are out there.) Lastly, I stared at the sand pit like a surfer stares into churning waters, tempted by the challenge but respectful of what it could do to my ego and body if I take on something thats just too big for me. That wave will have to wait until next time.  

DC1BCDD4-FB7C-4F64-8B7A-4B7CCF56E65F.JPG 

I'll add, the DRjr is an absolutely amazing motorcycle. She pulled out 60 miles of tarmac, played in the dirt, and then another 60 miles back; all in relative comfort and confidence. She was a bit hesitant over the tight stuff but she mixed it up well with the other more capable dirt bikes out there.  

9F9C28CF-B697-4B2A-9300-58FAC8844172.JPG 

Loved this day!

They're Always After
Me Lucky Charms!
Reply with quote  #2 
Nice ride report.  When I rode at Croom I also wondered if I would find my way back.  I would stop and listen for the traffic sound and then head that way.  I like the Forum, but most of the conversation has moved to Facebook.
Welcome aboard !

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!