Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

2019 Event Has SOLD OUT IN 25 HOURS!

Author   Comment  
Badger

Got Mud?
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all I am new to this site and the world of dual sport biking , my reason for starting this is because this  December my son will finish college and I  will be 50 next year so to celebrate these two milestones  I want to plan a ride for us from Mississippi to Washington state . I grew up riding dirt bikes and street bikes so am an experiance rider but I am trying to plan and prepare for an off the beatin path trip by traveling by trail and backroads . Any and all advice welcome from the best all around dual sport bike, suggested routes , to supplies needed

Thank you
mr_guns

Brought To You By Tom's Yaller Snap-Off Foot Pegs!
Reply with quote  #2 

Since you are planning on trails I would recommend a KLR-650. This is a bike that people have traveled the world on. I've never rode one, but know a lot of people that have one and they love it.

Pack light. I've made two long trips on my Vstrom and learned to pack only what I needed. Take a small weekend trip to test out what you'll need and packing strategy. Always put your stuff in the same place once you have it all figured out. I don't know if you are planning on hotels or camping. I used a small sleeping bag and a thermal rest sleeping pad and sleeping on the ground was not a problem. Use at least a two person tent for you and your gear.

Can't help you with routes. I did mostly back roads with a couple dirt roads thrown in. I used map quest then traced my route on google earth to find the most inviting motorcycle roads I could find.

Take lots of pictures and post them so we can enjoy the ride too!

Hope you have fun

Here are links from my rides:

http://forum.dixiedualsport.com/post/Touring-US-amp-Canada-(eastern-version)-5390191?highlight=canada

http://forum.dixiedualsport.com/post/Michigan-Trip-3546363

Eet Mor Chikin
Reply with quote  #3 
My impression is that the KLR can be a heck of a value for the price. Some guy just sold an 06 in here for $2500! Also, I was just on an adventure challenge a week or so ago, lots of serious riders, and I'd say one in three were on KLRs. Anyway, you must have some thoughts on what size bike you want to do this on. What are you thinking about?

Got Mud?
Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks bill for the advice I think a min of 650 cc because the trip west will be all trails and backroads but on the return trip will be a combination of trails and paved back roads . We have plans for 1 month of trip time . My son and I wanted to do this when he graduated high school but had a lack of funds so I am selling stuff to get the funds because as parents we know after college the kids get busy with their life so before that happens with my son I am going to find a way To make it go this time . There will be times when we will be in isolated areas and will need to carry a minimum of camping supplies so I need to figure out a balance of power for the extra weight and agility for the trails ! I wish I had years of trips like this under my belt but I am hoping to get enough suggestions from experienced riders here and with a year to plan and short trips before the big one we will be ready 
Badger

Got Mud?
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks mr_guns for the suggestions On the tent and pad because we plan to camp and stay in hotels both , as far as the suggestion on the bike (KLR) thanks you and bill think this is a good bike and the cost is a factor for me , would love to get the vstrom adventure or the Tenere (how ever it's spelled ) but I am getting two bikes and all the needed gear so have to get the best bang for the buck ! Haha
swampy

Reply with quote  #6 
From what I hear you saying, your plan is basically running dirt and gravel roads, not single track trails....

For that, the KLR is the way to go and what it's designed for. I would go with the pre-2008 models though, just my preference.... they "look" better...

You'll be looking at 40-50 mpg on a 5 gallon tank. Tires would be a choice, Bert loved the Kenda K270, I prefered the Duro Medians, (both a good 50/50 tire) and they both wear well.

Practice your tire changing/tube changing skills before you hit the road. Be proficient at it so you can at least change a tube and reinstall the wheel on the bike in a 30 minute time frame.....

Got Mud?
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy
From what I hear you saying, your plan is basically running dirt and gravel roads, not single track trails....

For that, the KLR is the way to go and what it's designed for. I would go with the pre-2008 models though, just my preference.... they "look" better...

You'll be looking at 40-50 mpg on a 5 gallon tank. Tires would be a choice, Bert loved the Kenda K270, I prefered the Duro Medians, (both a good 50/50 tire) and they both wear well.

Practice your tire changing/tube changing skills before you hit the road. Be proficient at it so you can at least change a tube and reinstall the wheel on the
 bike in a 30 minute time frame.....

Thanks swampy ! I will look at that ! Do you carry a special kit or just a set of tools a a small compressor ? 
swampy

Reply with quote  #8 

For each bike: get a Moose tube bag that straps to the front fender. In it, you put a 21" heavy duty tube, a patch kit, a tube snake, maybe a plastic beadbreaker, and your tire spoons. I say spoons because you want the 10" MSR aluminum spoons with the axle nut wrench on one side (you want at least two spoons. one each with the wrench size for the front axle nut and one for the rear axle nut).... these make it a breeze...

For inflation...go with a hand pump like bicycle riders carry. Electrics fail. As do compressed C02, but pumps never seem to fail. You can even strap it on in an out of the way place like your crossbar, front forks, etc...

BUT THE BIGGEST PIECE OF ADVICE:

If You Do Not Want To Get Hurt This Isn't The Sport For You!
You Will Crash. You Will Get Hurt.

Got Mud?
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy

For each bike: get a Moose tube bag that straps to the front fender. In it, you put a 21" heavy duty tube, a patch kit, a tube snake, maybe a plastic beadbreaker, and your tire spoons. I say spoons because you want the 10" MSR aluminum spoons with the axle nut wrench on one side (you want at least two spoons. one each with the wrench size for the front axle nut and one for the rear axle nut).... these make it a breeze...

For inflation...go with a hand pump like bicycle riders carry. Electrics fail. As do compressed C02, but pumps never seem to fail. You can even strap it on in an out of the way place like your crossbar, front forks, etc...

BUT THE BIGGEST PIECE OF ADVICE:

If You Do Not Want To Get Hurt This Isn't The Sport For You!
You Will Crash. You Will Get Hurt.

Thanks for the tire advice as far as the biggest advice about getting hurt ! Anyone who rides enduro , street, and ATV's Has found out it happens , but it happens a lot less since I quit drinking lol ! 
jakbrand

Reply with quote  #10 

Badger,

DR650, DRZ400, KLR650, XR650l will carry you cross country.    I recommend GiantLoop pannier to carry your gear on any dual sport.

Sounds like a excellent tour.  I'm planning to do the same ride with my son one day.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!