Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

AMA 2017 DS

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
swampy

Reply with quote  #16 
Uh.....................um...................... speechless...........

Reply with quote  #17 

Day 3  Dollar Lake to Yellow Creek

We broke camp at Dollar Lake and hiked five hours back to the trailhead where we parked the motos.

Traveling "enduro style" never allows for much security when away from the bikes.  Boots, helmet, tools, GPS and other valuables sat unsecured but unmolested in the parking lot for three days while we hiked.  

Someone could have stolen my GPS and it would have made no difference during this trip because it never worked anyway.  I normally rely exclusively on GPS for navigation, but this trip we navigated old school using paper maps, landmarks and dead reckoning.

Reply with quote  #18 

I planned the return route from Henrys Fork to Kamas (gas/food) and most of the critical turns still lingered in my memory banks. 

We cruised generally west along ATV and jeep roads on the northern fringe of High Uinta Wilderness.  The stunning scenery on Elizabeth Ridge was endless.  

I nailed turn after turn through the forest for miles with great confidence until we crossed the Wyoming/Utah state line.  Wait a second....we were not supposed to be in Wyoming! 

Oops, sorry about that.  After a little backtracking and quelled hubris we rejoined the intended route and eventually rolled into friendly Kamas for food and fuel.

After eating a massive steak dinner   in Kamas we headed back to the forest and camped at Yellow Creek.

Reply with quote  #19 

Day 4  Yellow Creek to Heber City

Yellow Creek campground did not offer much scenery and was noisy.  Cows near the campground bellowed, mooed and moaned all night.  I suppose a little payback for eating steak for dinner.

If camping was forgettable, then riding today was memorable and registered 5 out of 5 stars.  We explored Mirror Lake and Taylor Fork off-road areas most of the day.

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #20 
So what does the "Drop Out" sign mean?

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
jakbrand

Reply with quote  #21 

Edd promised epic singletrack at Taylors Fork, but I doubted his word after the miscue at Henrys Fork.  However,  he delivered the goods on Trail 067.

This was the best trail of King Salt.  To add a moment of drama I was forced to  share a gallon of gas to get Edd to the end of the trail and into Heber City to resupply.

We rolled into Heber City at sunset for a hearty dinner at Claim Jumper restaurant.  Rather than look for a campsite in the dark we settled on lodging at Swiss Alps Hotel.  Probably a good idea, since I had not showered in five days. 

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingam00
So what does the "Drop Out" sign mean?

Good question.

The trails at Mirror Lake OHV area are named or numbered.  It's a very popular place with the ATV/Razer/jeep crowd. 

Drop Out trail was rated black diamond because of one short but very steep section affectionately called the "drop out".  It wasn't that bad for motos.  In fact, Wankers would not have even noticed it if it wasn't named with a big wooden sign.

Hey! It's My Birthday!
Reply with quote  #23 
You know how I feel about this now! Awesome trip Jack!

Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbjr
You know how I feel about this now! Awesome trip Jack!

Stubb,

Next summer? 

Reply with quote  #25 

Day 5  Heber City to Salt Lake City

Mill Canyon OHV complex would be our primary target on the final day of King Salt. 

Mill Canyon contains hundreds of miles of maintained singletrack, ATV and rugged jeep trails. 

Its close proximity to Salt Lake City makes it one of the most heavily used OHV areas in Utah. 

We encountered trail traffic including horses, hikers, bicycles, jeeps and motorcycles and rode with caution on the main routes. 

Today's route was an abrupt change from the solitude of the previous four days of King Salt. 

Don't get me wrong.  Mill Canyon is a fantastic place to ride.  It's just on the busy side.

Does Utah deserve the title "Best Dual Sport Rides in America"?  Possibly.  I need to ride a few more tours across the Beehive State just to make sure.

Ride on!

Hey! It's My Birthday!
Reply with quote  #26 

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #27 
Thanks for letting us enjoy the pics Jack! EPIC 

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

stubbjr

Hey! It's My Birthday!
Reply with quote  #28 
Any thoughts, statements, or comments about that new 500 that was with you. Inquiring minds want to know.

Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbjr
Any thoughts, statements, or comments about that new 500 that was with you. Inquiring minds want to know.

Stubby,

Edd purchased the 2013 500 EXC pictured below for this trip and future long distance adventures.  It had zero miles when we departed Ogden so we know its history and will observe its durability and reliability over time.  I would imagine it's going to wear similar to KTM's  2005 - 2012 EXC's. 

I took the controls for a few miles on a rocky ATV trail.  The race inspired suspension handles the rough sections as expected.  The most noticeable improvement came from the new fuel injection.  Power delivery is crisp and full of torque.   We calculated the fuel mileage at about 50 - 55 mpg.  That's much better than my 530 (carb) which gets 40 mpg.

I liked it and will probably retire my 530 and buy a 500 in the near future. 

Hey! You're Blinker's On!
Reply with quote  #30 
its a nice adventure

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!