Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

AMA 2017 DS

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
jakbrand

Reply with quote  #1 

King Salt, part three of riding Utah 2012 trilogy, sent Edd and I on a five day loop across northern Utah from Salt Lake City to Kings Peak. 

Full ride report is up next.....

Reply with quote  #2 

Day 1  Salt Lake City to Henry's Fork

Edd was chomping at the bit to get acquainted with his new KTM 500EXC. We escaped the congested concrete metropolis of SLC at first light on the first day of September and headed up Ogden Canyon into the cool clean countryside.

We set our course on an easterly direction towards Evanston, Wyoming (fuel) about 100 miles away.

As we reeled in the miles across Utah's high plains the sights, sounds and smells etched in my mind especially the unmistakable fragrance of desert sage after a brief rain shower.

Reply with quote  #3 

The route to Evanston mixed gravel and pavement but nothing too challenging since Edd wanted to break-in his new moto nice and easy.

Every town out west has its own local free-ride area.  These bandit moto playgrounds are easy to find if you know where to look.  They are usually tucked behind the city dump, under transmission lines or up radio tower hill. 

Evanston's version of widow maker climbs were in plain sight at radio tower hill.  I told Edd the hundred mile break-in period was complete and his new scoot was ready for off-road testing.

We burned an hour bombing up and down the gravely mound above town.  Woot!

Reply with quote  #4 

From Evanston we tried to follow historic Emigrant Trail but were rebuffed at private property.  No problem.  After a short reroute we merged back on course.

Following an old railroad grade we passed through the ghost town of Piedmont, Wyoming.  A cluster of abandoned shacks accompanied restored historic charcoal kilns originally built to serve the transcontinental railroad passenger cars.

Reply with quote  #5 

Continuing to Henrys Fork

We arrived at Henrys Fork trailhead about 4 o'clock to begin the first segment of the hike to Kings Peak. 

Yes, you read correctly.  King Salt is a moto/hiking combo tour. 

Edd assured me the hiking trail was only 16 miles round trip.   But as I was securing my moto gear and preparing to hit the trail, I noticed several ragged hikers finishing their journey then collapse in their car.   I thought to myself, these poor folks are cooked.  How difficult is this trail? 

Edd asked one fellow, "How far is it to Kings Peak?"

He replied with exhaustion in his voice, "32 miles."

Uh oh, I thought to myself.  That's three days of hiking.  Suddenly my legs felt weak because I'm too old and unfit to hike 32 miles.   

Anyway, we stayed with the plan and started hiking at 6 o'clock towards King Peak. 

I tuckered out after two hours of walking and we set up camp in a thicket of lodgepole pine.  What's for dinner?  Beef jerky and freeze dried lasagna.

Reply with quote  #6 
Great great great...But I'd expect nothing less.
Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
JohnHardiman

BONGO!
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbarDP48
Great great great...But I'd expect nothing less.
Bert

Agreed...a trip of a lifetime!!!

KTM 500XCW KTM 1190R KTM 300 XCW Honda Z50R 83 XR500 Street Tracker project Ural Patrol 06 Ural patrol, Sherco 3.0                   TEAM WANKER...Only Pussy's die of natural causes! Member of the Solo Mile High Club! Check out Team Wanker on Facebook!
toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #8 
AWESOME pics once again Jack.

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

jakbrand

Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks fellas!   

More in a moment

Reply with quote  #10 

Day 2  Hiking Henry's Fork to Dollar Lake

Half million acre High Uintas Wilderness straddles the Wasatch-Cache National Forest and Ashley National forest in northern Utah.  We hiked most of the chilly morning through dense forests of Engelmann spruce, subalpine fir, lodgepole pine and aspen groves. These forests were interrupted by frost covered meadows and lush wetlands.

Wilderness Areas are federal lands set aside by an Act of Congress.  The Wilderness Act defines wilderness as “an area where the earth and its community of life are untrammeled by man, where man himself is a visitor who does not remain." 

Activities in wilderness areas are restricted to scientific study and non-mechanized recreation; horses and hikers are permitted, but mechanized vehicles and equipment, such as bicycles and motorcycles, are not.

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakbrand

Great pictures, well one is a little scary!  

What kind of shampoo do you use to get your hair to shine so bright?

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
jakbrand

Reply with quote  #12 

These areas are considered important for the survival of certain species, biodiversity, ecological studies, solitude, and recreation.  

I value our wilderness areas for spiritual, moral and aesthetic  reasons and believe the wilderness is vital for the human spirit and creativity. 

Blah, blah, blah....what a crock of bear scat! 

All I could think about while trudging along like a worn out pack mule was how awesome it would be to roost this sweet delicious forbidden wilderness singletrack.

Reply with quote  #13 

We hiked seven hours on the "easy" section to Gunsite Pass and arrived at the final difficult ascent to Kings Peak at three o'clock which was too late in the day to reach the summit before dark. 

Truth be told,  I'd had enough walking and knew that my legs would quit at any moment.  Feeling defeated (for about three seconds), we turned around without bagging Kings Peak and set up camp at Dollar Lake.

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #14 

Quote:

All I could think about while trudging along like a worn out pack mule was how awesome it would be to roost this sweet delicious forbidden wilderness singletrack.

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #15 
Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!