Upcoming Events

Registration Opens January 2, 2019

Author   Comment  
swampy

Reply with quote  #1 

Talladega National Forest, Munford, Alabama

Park Rules & Regulations
Enforced by the Forest Service

* Operating an off-road vehicle without a valid motor vehicle tag in national forests is permitted 
    only on designated OHV trails.

* State and Federal laws apply to all vehicles, including their operation, equipment, and licensing.

* Vehicles 50 inches in width and smaller are permitted on the trails. Those vehicles wider than 50 inches 
    are prohibited from using ORV trails.

* Wear appropriate safety gear, practice safe driving habits, and be courteous of other forest users.

* All ORV's must stay on designated ORV trails. Do not ride in the creeks. Use the bridges or designated crossings.

* ORV's are not permitted to ride on any forest roads except at trail crossings.

* Follow "TREAD LIGHTLY" policies.

* The ATV Safety Institute recommends riders ages 6-11 ride ORV size 70cc and under,
    riders ages 12-15 ride ORV size 70cc-90cc, and riders 16 and older ride ORV size 90cc and over.

* Wearing "hunter orange" is recommended during hunting season. October 15th thru January 31st.

* Camping is permitted anywhere along the trails. Obey all campfire regulations.

* Camping permit is required during hunting season.

Helmets required.

* Spark arresters are recommended on all ATVs & Dirtbikes.

* Exhaust sound level should be 98db or less.

Two way traffic on all trails.

* Trail riding may be dangerous, riders must assume the risks and ride within their limits

RECOMMENDED SEASON

The trails are open year round. You can ride after dark as long as your ORV is equipped with headlights and taillights.

FEES

$5.00 per ORV / Dirt Bike per Day. Pay at entrance gate.

TRAIL LAYOUT

The trail's easy sections have gentle grades, sweeping turns, and a fairly smooth surface with few obstacles. 
The most difficult part has steeper grades, tight and steep turns, sections of rough terrain, and some rock and log obstacles.

TREAD LIGHTLY

ORV's are a real challenge! But wait! Before you strike out, think about another challenge, your responsibility to
  tread lightly and protect the environment you and other forest visitors enjoy. It's tough to move over the land 
without damaging it, even for a hiker. You have the added disadvantage of a few hundred to several thousand pounds 
of machinery. If you can move your vehicle over miles of primitive travel ways without leaving a vehicle imprint, 
you are an expert! Here are the challenges that will truly test your skill.

I PLEDGE TO TREAD LIGHTLY BY:

TRAVELING only where motorized vehicles are permitted.

RESPECTING the rights of hikers, campers, hunters, and others to enjoy their activities

undisturbed.

EDUCATING myself by obtaining travel maps and regulations from public agencies, complying with signs and barriers
and asking landowners' permission to ride across private property.

AVOIDING streams, lakeshores, meadows, muddy roads and trails, steep hillsides, wildlife openings, and animals of the forest.

DRIVING responsibly to protect the environment and preserve opportunities to enjoy my vehicle on national forests.

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Talladega Ranger District

1001 North St (Hwy 21 North)

Talladega, AL 35160

Phone #  (256) 362-2909

Post your pictures and reviews here!

Got Mud?
Reply with quote  #2 
I've ridden these trails and they are excellent-good-fun. Pretty much a narrow dual track roller-coaster ride cut out by 4wheelers through the forest. Hard-pack, and some mud puddles when I was there in late June. Rocks, roots, leaves, ledges, and pretty dense forest. Elevation changes all the time from a few feet to 20 feet in just a couple yards in many places.

It's located in the North Talladega National Forest (there are two Talladega forest sections in Alabama) and is basically the tail of the Appalachians where they fan out westward and begin to peter out.

I recommend camping at Chehea State Park which is at the highest peak I believe and is a really nice campground. Great for groups, families and soloists alike. They had some storms there so plenty of firewood on the ground--they actually encouraged you to pickup and use it, there were so many fallen limbs and trees from ice storms and tornados---not across the trails that I rode though, they were pretty clear for the most part. I guess they're semi-maintained.

There's a lake to swim in, a lodge, plus free-standing cabins, campgrounds for full hookup RV's & toy-haulers or tents, and a semi-primitive tent camping sections as well. I think you can do full primitive in the rest of the forest other than the state section.

The paved roads there are a blast too. The Chehea general store has food, beer, supplies, washing machines, and maps for the 4X4 trails and Kentuck OHV trail system. The campground bathrooms were ok. The lodge's restaurant was pretty good (don't recommend the frog-legs, though, don't know why I chose those).

I took it pretty slow on my gen1 KLR Tengai--I still had another 8500 miles to do on my trip so I was afraid to end it on the third day with a broken arm or subframe. With a lighter bike, you can definitely have more fun, but even the biggest adventure bikes and most conservative riders will enjoy this area 100%. I'd say the riding would be fun for any level rider. There's more technical stuff in that area too, that I didn't attempt.

Anyhow: lush, green and excellent summer weather. If you want to see some video to get a sense of what it's like, I posted a couple on YouTube. Not very impressive riding, but you'll be able to judge the trails for yourself:

I started in Orlando and did a little over 9000 miles round-trip. Did a few hundred miles on the TAT, rode in Moab, Colorado (Ouray), Yellowstone, Glacier, Banff, Sturgis & Black Hills, Badlands, Asheville, NC area, Dragon, etc. Nearly every day, I rode dirt. About 500 miles total for the trip. Maybe a bit more.

If Moab was a 10 for dual-sport riding, then I would say Talladega was a 5 in comparison. However, in truth I had a blast the couple days I stayed in Talladega and could easily have spent a few more so in that context I give Talladega a 10 and am I planning on going back in the next couple of years.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!