A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

AMA 2017 DS

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
rsquared

Hey! You're Blinker's On!
Reply with quote  #1 
I've read through most of the threads in this section and didn't find an answer to this question.  I could have missed it, so bear with me.

Looking at GPS units, Garmin in particular, I see that topo maps and street maps are available.  Some units come loaded with topo maps. My question is which of these maps, if any, show the forest roads in Osceola or Ocala, or any other nearby areas of the panhandle or Georgia?  I've got my paper maps, so the gps would be more for fun than anything.

thanks
rick
wingam00

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #2 
Give this site a try for some free topo maps.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
swampy

Reply with quote  #3 
Remember, that even though a road or trail my be listed and shown on an electronic map does not mean that it is open for vehicle use!

Always check first. The official map of the area, lists legal riding and access.

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy
Remember, that even though a road or trail my be listed and shown on an electronic map does not mean that it is open for vehicle use! Always check first. The official map of the area, lists legal riding and access.

Very True.

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
toolguy1

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #5 
We've found a lot of the stuff displayed on MapSource to be private roads around here.
Individual county maps work great for showing public roads. (both paved and dirt) You can find most of those online and print them out.

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

jakbrand

Reply with quote  #6 
Garmin Montana 650t comes preloaded with 100k series topo maps.  It's an excellent dual sport GPS.

Here's my old Garmin telling me a canyon is on the left.  It's taken plenty of abuse over the last six years and provided great service until recently.  They don't last forever I'm told, so I'm replacing it with a Garmin Montana.

Rain Dances With MiamiMike
Reply with quote  #7 
Check out dualsportmaps.com and their Droid GPS app.......

This One Time,
When I Was Flying A Blimp
Over Italy....
Reply with quote  #8 
Just FYI

I Recently installed the Montana by Garmin, it really has some cool features, like built in camera, bird's eye views (downloaded). The screen also orients to the direction of the screen, so mounting options are endless. I bought mine from GPSCITY and would have to say they treated me super fair and got me what I ordered fast. I was able to get my unit without the topo maps and then ordered the DVD so that I can use the basecamp feature on my computer.

Just my .02 for what its worth..

Paul
swampy

Reply with quote  #9 
Did some Cyber Monday surfing (no purchasing though....) There are two Montana's the 650 and the 650T. GPSCity has the 650 for $450 and the 650T for $590..... can't really see a big difference except the map....

Hey! You're Blinker's On!
Reply with quote  #10 
A big thanks to all for the responses.  I'm leaning towards the Montana since I'll use it for all kinds of activities.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!