Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

2019 Event Has SOLD OUT IN 25 HOURS!

Author   Comment  
FrostedPig

Eet Mor Chikin
Reply with quote  #1 
I have oil leaking from the compression screw of my left fork on my 525EXC. Any ideas for a quick fix? With the nearest dealership almost two hours away from me, and wanting to ride DC which is only two days away, I fear the worst. It's leaking at a pretty steady rate.
wingam00

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #2 
If you are talking about the small screw at the the top of the fork, from looking at the parts list it is a O-RING NBR 3,7X1,6. 

Or both sides leaking?

May want to try and clean the item or go to a local bike or car parts shop to try and find one.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/2

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
FrostedPig

Eet Mor Chikin
Reply with quote  #3 
It's actually the compression screw at the bottom of the fork, only leaking on the left side. There looks to be a copper washer and o-ring under the adjuster, so my guess is that that's what I need to replace. Would the forks need to be taken apart to replace those? I'm not very savvy when it comes to these modern forks.
wingam00

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #4 

Not sure if anything special on taken this off.  As for the copper washer, if you can not find one, take the copper washer off and heat it with a torch. the heat will expand the copper which may have become compressed from use.  Would take the fork off and turn upside down so no oil leaks out.

I have been searching the web and here are some thinks that I found.

Here is a vid about changing fork seals. NOTE: about backing counter clock wise both the compression and rebound dampers so the you do not damage the needle.  Make note on how many turns so you can set back to the same position.

Link: http://www.search-document.com/pdf/1/10/ktm-525exc-wp-fork-oil-change.html

If you been leaking oil you may want to change to oil.

Here is the owners manual if you need it; http://www.search-document.com/pdf/1/10/ktm-525exc-wp-fork-oil-change.html

FrostedPig

Eet Mor Chikin
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks Wing. I had to order the part from Motorcycle Enthusiasts and they're overnighting it so I'll have it Friday afternoon. It's the whole adjustment screw assembly and I was told that the forks need to come apart for this to be swapped out. Sooo....any suspension gurus wanna help me out Friday night at the campground so I can ride this weekend? I'll pay in form of adult beverages and bruised knuckles.
wingam00

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #6 
Wish I could help, but I am currently in Franklin, NC having to endure the horrible weather of Blue cloudless skies and high unbearable temperatures of 60s to the mid 70s

JohnHardiman

BONGO!
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostedPig
Thanks Wing. I had to order the part from Motorcycle Enthusiasts and they're overnighting it so I'll have it Friday afternoon. It's the whole adjustment screw assembly and I was told that the forks need to come apart for this to be swapped out. Sooo....any suspension gurus wanna help me out Friday night at the campground so I can ride this weekend? I'll pay in form of adult beverages and bruised knuckles.

Call Ronnie At Six12 Suspension..he don't live far from Sertoma...get his advice.
You may need an Impact driver to to pop the bolt loose...I can bring my Airtank & Impact if u need it.
These Forks are straight forward....Ronnie was offering a full Service special ...this would take care of the issue....He has mobile service. Tell him to come out to Sertoma late Friday afternoon & he can service my bike as well...plus anyone else that needs suspension work

KTM 300XC, KTM 1190R, 1988 KTM 350, Sherco 3.0 Trials, 79 Husky 390WR, Honda XR650R, Honda Grom,  Yamaha Zuma, KDX200, KX500, Apollo Pitbike,                TEAM WANKER...Only Pussy's die of natural causes! Member of the Solo Mile High Club! Check out Team Wanker on Facebook!
FrostedPig

Eet Mor Chikin
Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks for the info John! He's going to service my forks tomorrow evening and I'll be ready to ride on Saturday! He won't be coming to the campground though because he wants the bike in his shop to work on.
wingam00

You've Been Busted!
Reply with quote  #9 
And I was packing my saw-all, big hammer, and even bigger hammer to come help you fix that there leak! I even have a portable shade tree.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!