Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

2019 Event Has SOLD OUT IN 25 HOURS!

Author   Comment  
ElijahBrooks

Kazoo Virtuoso
Reply with quote  #1 
I've never had a dirt bike and always wanted one. Many street bikes, though. I'm not willing to buy a truck so a dual sport seemed appropriate. I knew the Anakee III were only going to work on roads so I put on Kenda 760. Wow!!! Good grip of road and work on the highway. Since I've started tuning. My suspension is stock my preload is up to 5 for my sag. My damper is 1/2 a turn from the left and doesn't seem to give the over bounce. The front counter shaft is reduced to a 14 tooth for bottom end torque and what seems like a stall threshold. That's it for now.
ElijahBrooks

Kazoo Virtuoso
Reply with quote  #2 
Three hours ago I went to change my dirty air filter. Now along with my Uni filter I have a moded air box just used my pocket knife to cut the L. Since I was letting so much air in I pulled the final baffle out. I think I need a different slip on the factory is entirely too jumbled.
swampy

Reply with quote  #3 
Aint nuttin wrong with a KLR!

Kazoo Virtuoso
Reply with quote  #4 
Swampy you are so correct. Too bad for a brief second I didn't feel that way. Air box mod was stupid and I regret it. Now I'm at a cross road return it to factory or get a full klx kit. I think factory. The exhaust sounds good but with out a spark arrester some trails up at my cousins house in Tennessee and maybe south Carolina are no longer accessible. Since this is my first of road bike not a huge issue I don't know what I'm missing (adventure of the unknown). So I bought a fmf q4, everything I've heard, online, had a better note than the power core. Live and learn.
ElijahBrooks

Kazoo Virtuoso
Reply with quote  #5 
I like the fmf q4 sound. Have placed the cleaned factory air filter back and this has helped with the lean fuel air mix. Still running too lean at 5k rpm. Going to replace the air box with a new factory box. Still thinking maybe a more traditional tapered carb needle and leave the jets alone.
ElijahBrooks

Kazoo Virtuoso
Reply with quote  #6 
Factory air box back on, without the snorkel. I pulled the snorkel out of my moded box in case I need it. That was an interesting fix. The sub frame has to be removed. live and learn is becoming a motto. But the klr is SO much better now. Even the exhaust is quieter!
ElijahBrooks

Kazoo Virtuoso
Reply with quote  #7 
So I've learned a lot, fast. Here's the bottom line. Leave your bike alone! Changing tries is the best mod. "Tuning"the klr suspension is mandatory. Swapping sprockets is helpful and makes the klr more fun. The exhaust was just for fun not really a necessity. If you want to have the absolute best of road performance get a 250cc (wrr, klx, xt, or crf). If you're riding in Florida and 80% is on road deal with it. Bottom line dual sport allows me to go beyond the pavement without having to buy a truck. I love it so far.
ElijahBrooks

Kazoo Virtuoso
Reply with quote  #8 
So did the carb like I was thinking of. Now off road gearing is too low. First gear it is hard to keep from overpowering the traction and roosting. So I slip the clutch or use second and slip the clutch. I spend a lot of time between 2nd and 3rd gears now. Decided to go back to stock 15t front sprocket. Much nicer on starts and today didn't feel I was needing 3rd. The area I went to was kind of twisty and all the rain we've had gave some front tire swallowing washouts so nothing particularly fast. I'm thing of maybe upping the front to a 16t and see how that is. I spend 50/50 my commute to work is 15 min so 2-1/2 hrs a week on road and 3-4 hours on my days off riding in the dirt. Since I'm getting used to slipping the clutch maybe the 16t would work off road. Just worried I'll have to stay in first and might still have too much torque for the traction in this Florida sand. I'll find out soon and let you know.
ElijahBrooks

Kazoo Virtuoso
Reply with quote  #9 
Haven't changed the sprocket...yet. I did have to swap tires decided to try Bridgestone, and went trail wing 301/302. I love these so much more at 15 psi than my Kenda track masters because you can ride on road well. I am sure the 430# klr with a 200# rider mean I don't have to worry much about traction, as long as I have good knobs.
hendedo

Look At The Size Of THAT Tank!
Reply with quote  #10 
Have a 06 KLR. K&N in stock air box and FMF Q4 installed by previous owner. Shinko 705 tires. I'm leaving it alone; just riding!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!