Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

2019 Event Has SOLD OUT IN 25 HOURS!

Author   Comment  
kawazukimaha

Good, Bad, and Ugly
Reply with quote  #1 

I am interested in riding the Dothan area. Dirt roads, trails, WMA Forest...etc. I just helped my Sister move there and the area seems to be perfect for Dual Sport Riding. Now, we have a place only 6 hours from Central Florida to stay and ride. Any local information on this LA area would be greatly appreciated.

01 Suzuki DR-Z250
06 Triumph Tiger
96 Yamaha XT225 (Mel's bike she doesn't ride)
79 XS650F Rode it from 1985 to 94 Needs TLC
75 DT250B Since I was 19 

"Life Changing is when you no longer have a Bike"
DRIVER

Reply with quote  #2 
Hey that's my old stomping grounds.  My parents live up there (18) miles out in the sticks past Newville.  I left in '84 but things have grown there like everywhere else to the point that I'd be guilty of trespassing if I traced my old trails.  Back when I was small enough to ride a 125 two-stroke my grandfather owned a large plot that was great.  A buddy of his must have owned 50 times that amount.  So I was spoiled and didn't know it.  I had to make phone calls the last time I took my dirt bike up in order to play.   Sure did miss the old days.  For exploring just head out and see what you can find.  If you wind up in the Echo - Newville area you've reached my childhood playground. 

Mike Driver
kawazukimaha

Good, Bad, and Ugly
Reply with quote  #3 
Yeah Mike, I thought that was home for you. We are going to get up there soon to stay at my Sister's house, trailer the bikes, take her one to ride and just get out and see what kind of adventure we can find. The area looks awesome for riding even if it is only backroads and dirt roads. And the best thing other than it is only 6 hours away - The Lodging is free.

She has a Reflex 250 Scooter and will be doing some "research".
Later,

01 Suzuki DR-Z250
06 Triumph Tiger
96 Yamaha XT225 (Mel's bike she doesn't ride)
79 XS650F Rode it from 1985 to 94 Needs TLC
75 DT250B Since I was 19 

"Life Changing is when you no longer have a Bike"
suzukidirtbike

BONGO!
Reply with quote  #4 
I went to flight school in Dothan back in 1991. I wish I had taken my CR125 with me, but then I wouldn't have spent much time in the books. There was just too much to explore. I would find places to ride, and mark them on the aeronautical chart while I was doing my required solo time.

Unfortunately, I never got to return with a bike. As Mike said though, the place has been developed a lot. You'll definitely want to stay outside Ross Clark Circle, and west of town has seen the most development. Tha places that haven't been developed for business or residential use is mostly farm land anyway.

Most of the areas That I had scouted were up in the Ozark area. I'll look through the attic to see if I still have any of those old charts that I had highlighted. Even if they are no longer useful, it would be interesting to see how things have changed since then.

DDS Lifetime member #0893
2007 Honda CB919 Hornet
1974 Honda XL 100
2003 Suzuki DR650 "SUPERTANKER!!"
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!