Upcoming Events

AMA 2017 DS

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
JerryIUP

Just How Many Barricades
DOES Bob Have?
Reply with quote  #16 
Sounds like I missed an awesome time.  I am not sure if people realize or appreciate all the effort it takes to pull these rides off seamlessly.  Well done Swampy and crew!!!!!

Jerry

Jerry Detz
11' KTM 990 ADV-R
08' KTM 450 EXC-R Plated

"Riding, Mediocrity, and Excessive Alcohol can help all attain a full and rewarding life." ......TEAM WANKER
BTGOG

Got Mud?
Reply with quote  #17 
 My first DDS event ,  Had a blast
Thanks to all that had a hand it putting this together , a lot of work no doubt .  
With this rain I am wanting to go run the route again

Anyone Seen TurnSignalTom?
Reply with quote  #18 
Hey Swampy I heard what you said about the mud holes and did my best to hit everyone of them.
That's what you met wasn't it? 

jsell

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #19 
Swampy, thanks for hauling me and my bike back to camp at lunch. The Dr. said a couple of plates and screws in my leg and I'm good as new. Please thank your son also for pulling me out of the mud you told us to ride thru. I'm thinking now maybe you said don't ride thru the mud, but why would anyone say that?
djskal

Kazoo Virtuoso
Reply with quote  #20 

Hey Swampy, thanks for a great event! A few observations.....as far as mud holes, on the DS route, we found ample ways to avoid the deep mud...so jumping into the deep black muck was more of a personal choice for those who found themselves stuck.

Our group (Bill, Bill, Bryan, Clint, James and James) came up on a fresh forest fire... It was just off one of the larger dirt roads. Although it could have happened any number of ways, our presence was the highest in the woods. We were able to get signal to call 911 and relay the GPS coordinates to the location to the local authorities and drag a large burning tree trunk from the wood to the road and mostly stomp out the fire. Based on proximity to the trail, it was most likely a careless smoker tossing a butt....Hopefully it wasn't a DDS participant!

Also, we found several occasions where there were riders down and lots of folks just passing them by.... We stopped and help one guy with a dead battery, no kick start and an auto clutch. Needless to say we weren't the first group of folks to pass him by. We had some in our group go down and waves of folks just go around them without looking back. These are also the same folks that were making careless passes on the trails.....

Thanks again for pre posting the route sheets and gps tracks. I can tell you that our group of 6 took advantage of both navigation methods to get from point A to point B...

Looking forward to the next event....

Cheers,

Bryan

Reply with quote  #21 
Bryan, that fire was one that was known to us and forestry. It was about an acre in size. They had it under control and moved out to take care of a second. Thanks for reporting it, it shows that we're attentive to what's going on in the woods.

As for the other piece, yes, there are some self centered riders who don't stop or even ask. Sad really that they they think that way but they do. Nothing we can do about it except to set a higher example and keep paying it forward. Karma's a bitch!

Glad you enjoyed the event!

Reply with quote  #22 
So Friday afternoon and folks started filtering in.....

Special thanks to Team Wanker for setting up the tables in the pavillion... and for helping with casa McPush...

McPush arrived and was having a little problem setting up his tent he bought from Zayres back in '86....

So home many people does it take to set up Casa d'McPush?

Pretty funny, but at least now Andy was set-up in camp!

So what else goes on on Friday?

Let's see..... you can find circus folk.... I mean.... Paul Gerle out doing some off-road uni-cycling....

.... and there was the set-up of Devil's Creek Theater, to get ready for DDS Friday Night at the Movies....

.... and ol' Swampy was out in the woods putting up signs that the Forestry Service requires us to put up....

Also had to go hang a few ribbons in places that people took them down...

So once again, there were about a dozen signs put up Friday afternoon along the route and along the main roadways that you never even came close to! Just another thing that goes on behind the scenes...

Not to mention, we lose signs every year to people stealing them, or running them over.... this year we had two run over and trashed and another thrown into a tree..

Folks don't want us there, but we always have to take the high road...

Now on to Friday Night!

Eet Mor Chikin
Reply with quote  #23 
You out did yourself on this one Swampy! Riding was some of the best I have done (in FL), add that to the perfect weather, the movie, entrainment, food, and spending time with friends...made this the best event I have attended. Thank you to everyone that helped or put this event together. I'll be there again next year!

Bill
11 WR250
06 DL1000
07 XR650L

JohnHardiman

BONGO!
Reply with quote  #24 
Thanks!
To all those involved, as always a fun time.
I kinda missed the wet Richloam....however the Dry richloam was still fun. The GPS tracks were perfect.
Cheers!!

KTM 500XCW KTM 1190R KTM 300 XCW Honda Z50R 83 XR500 Street Tracker project Ural Patrol 06 Ural patrol, Sherco 3.0                   TEAM WANKER...Only Pussy's die of natural causes! Member of the Solo Mile High Club! Check out Team Wanker on Facebook!
swampy

Reply with quote  #25 
Saturday morning post-tech inspection hangout.....

Crossing guard McPush giving Sweeper Brian Pratt the lowdown on how far ahead the last group of riders are...

Sweeper Dave Hall at a reset, while McPush does his duty and rakes the road crossings ensuring that the motorcycle impact is minimal... we have to be good neighbors and responsible users...

Anybody remember this from the Saturday dual sport route?

"Oh no, a log is in the way".... says a beginner.    "Oh yes, a log is in the way"... says a seasoned rider!

Sweeper Dave Hall going old school ISDT over the log....

.... and here's another log crossing.... dual sport route hit it Saturday afternoon AND Sunday afternoon, and the Discovery folks had to cross it on Sunday as well! Popular log that one was!

These fellas asked me how far to lunch..... I told them an hour by the bypass, or two hours by the main route... but they gotta hurry. Lunch is over at 2pm! "2 hours is good. Let's go, we're burning daylight!" and off the went back into the woods...

Next up..... goin' to see Miss Linda!

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #26 

Devil's Creek first timer here! Only my 5th time on a dirt bike and I chose the Dual Sport route... Did I mention I'm not the brightest rider?  

In one section of the trail I was attacked by a wild sand monster that ran away with my front tire! The riders behind me all stopped and made sure I was OK and a couple even hung around until I saddled back up and started off again.

Luckily, I ran into Rob and Trisha Parker at one of the intersections and they gave me some tips on conquering the sand monster.

Also, had my first experience bunking with Team Wanker. My doc says the psychological scarring was minimal, but could have devastating effects over a long period of exposure. I plan to put his prognosis to the test!

Thanks to everyone involved and my fellow riders for making this a most memorable experience.

See you guys next time!

2007 GSXR1300 - Sold
1993 GSXR1100 - Sold
RobRobinson

Burrito Bandito!
Reply with quote  #27 
DC looked great.  Wish I could have made it but I'll be back out soon.

Let's Ride!

jeknow

Anyone Seen TurnSignalTom?
Reply with quote  #28 
Yay another log and mud hole... er I mean oh no a log and a mud hole. No I mean yay this is what it's all about. Not all of us will ever get to ride in the Himalayans or across the Steppes so through the swamps and back country in Florida and the U.S.A.is my adventure riding, and the little challenges like that are great. Like I said earlier if wasn't for my riding brothers I would still be out there digging it's all good. Even the guys on the dream rides have to rely on each other and beating the challenge together really is a good feeling. CHEERS! To the home town adventurers. Let's do it again.
stubbjr

Hey! It's My Birthday!
Reply with quote  #29 
 Just when I thought Devils Creek couldn't get any better you add a Friday night GREAT movie and the best band yet for the Sat. night Bullshoot/food orgy. Happenstance ROCKS!
 I look forward to this event year after year. The weather was perfect, trail well marked, lunches were excellent and all I saw was people smilin' and having a great time! I can't wait till next year!
 Thanks Swampy and all those responsible for providing us with this most excellent weekend.

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #30 
I'm not sure but I think Stubb liked it...... 

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!