A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events
AMA 2017 DS

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 5      1   2   3   4   Next   »
jeknow

Anyone Seen TurnSignalTom?
Reply with quote  #1 
Hey ya'll just wanted to give a thanks to the brothers that helped the old guy lift the buried DR650 out of the mud hole Saturday. I didn't get any names and we're all in goggles and helmets so I don't know who you are but THANK YOU! And thanks Swampy and all the volunteers who help make this fun for the rest of us. Hope someone got a picture of that I was truly stuck.
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #2 

Hopefully everyone had a great time this weekend at DC 2013.
Movies, Camping, Riding, the Band, Miss Linda's food and more riding....
Who else does a weekend like Devils Creek?

Below you'll find the link to pictures I took this weekend.

http://ebardp48.smugmug.com/Motorcycles2013/Devils-Creek-April-2013/29150544_H7TZBP

So...Let's hear your Devils Creek stories, ride reports and if...er, how much you enjoyed it.

Thanks Swampy for putting together one of the best dual sporting events anywhere.

Bert 

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
RonWinget

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #3 
Nice photos Bert! I was hoping to see one of me coming through the trees with bars askew and riding on the rear wheel, but there I was in the cow line. My buddies already know I can navigate the chow line! Thxs!

Ron
swampy

Reply with quote  #4 
Devil's Creek 2013!

Another Devil's Creek is in the books, and from the comments we heard at the event, it was once again, better than the last, and has been growing that way for 17 years!

The quick recap is that over 130 riders enjoyed the weekend, Aaron Sprague from EuroCycles Tampa Bay was on hand Friday night to comment and answer questions from our Friday Night Movie: The Ride: London to Bejing, almost 300 miles of riding on bikes from Super Tenere to DR200s, 3 different routes each day based on how difficult you want it from easy to hard, Saturday Night Bullshoot with Rich Bumar's band Happenstance (and they rocked!), shooting of a rockumentary video as part of an ongoing video project travelling across the country, support by Mororccyle Enthusiasts KTM, Miss Linda's cookin' (if you're looking for a ham sandwich for lunch, this is not the event for you!) and so much more!

So before we begin, let's give a shout out and big round of applause for the people who make this happen!

For some reason, there are a small bunch of folks around on the inter-web who think things "just happen" and like to b*tch about just about anything.

But what these folks fail to realize is that if not for a few people committed to making something happen, nothing would ever happen at all!

So let's put this into perspective!

It took a total of 545 manhours to bring you the 2013 Devil's Creek. To give you a little perspective about what goes into it, the math equals one person working 40 hours a week for 13.6 weeks! Which in turn equals over 3 months of work!

But luckily, there are a bunch of people who step up each and every year and help make this a success!

So please, props go out for these folks who help layout and mark and remark, and reroute the routes you enjoy...

To the people who man the road crossings to keep riders and the public safe and also put a positive smile and face of DDS to those residents passing by on the roadways and help us meet the requirements set forth by the Division of Forestry...

To the folks who hauled broken bikes and spent riders back to camp...

To the folks who were there at the event site, doing tech inspections, registration, set-up and break-down...

To those on the confabs and meetings and phone calls and emails while we planned this all out...

These are the peeps who make it happen, so your weekend is as good as it gets!

Some people think it's just about a route in the woods. That's shortsighted as best. It's about the weekend as a whole. The people, the bikes, the activity, the stories, the mud, the snakes, music, movies, ribs and chicken. But it's more than that as well. It's a Holiday that people look forward to every year with good reason:

Good people, attract good people.

So for you good folks that came out to DC2013, thanks for coming. And here's a list of the folks who stepped up to make it happen for you: (I apologize in advance if I have forgotten a name or two... but here we go...)

Tom Rhodes
George
Keith Finnerty (From CFTR helping out)
Bill Whalen
Rich Bumar
Jack Lambert
Tim & Laurie Knopick
Rob & Trisha Parker
Brian Pratt
Andy Young
Tom McPhail
Laura Frey
Bert Barnes
Rich Douds
Steve Dunn
Dave Hall
Rick Hartman
Aaron Sprague

You guys are da'Bomb!

Let The Ride Reports Begin!

Victoria Secret Model
Reply with quote  #5 
Wow, what kind of scary creature is this? Is BS7 riding KTM now? 

1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1978 Husqvarna 390OR
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i
2012 KTM 500 EXC

kawazukimaha

Good, Bad, and Ugly
Reply with quote  #6 
And...Thank You and the entire Swampy Family. Your Bride, Son-in-law,
kids and grand kids all pitch in, set-up, take-down, serve,
take beverage orders, and help pack it all up at the end!

THANKS!

It was another good-un' !

Having the positive experience of working on the road crossing team,
I have some ideas to make it better. We can talk about it later.

01 Suzuki DR-Z250
06 Triumph Tiger
96 Yamaha XT225 (Mel's bike she doesn't ride)
79 XS650F Rode it from 1985 to 94 Needs TLC
75 DT250B Since I was 19 

"Life Changing is when you no longer have a Bike"
Dan

Free Beer Tommorrow!
Reply with quote  #7 
Wow, this ride just keeps getting bigger and better every year!  From the time you arrive on Friday night till you pack up and leave on Sunday afternoon, nonstop fun!  Always something to do, people to talk to, food to eat, and ride, ride, ride.  The only time you are not doing something is when you are sleeping.  Truly eat, sleep, ride, with entertainment! The trail conditions allowed you to just keep riding and riding with no delays. Thanks to Bert the the DDS photojournalist, I think everybody got a picture of their self. Great pictures Bert!   Hats off to Swampy, Mrs. Swampy, and all involved with putting this event on.  You guys are the best!
Dan

Reply with quote  #8 
I'm waitin' to see the famous mudhole pictures....

I warned everybody about the mud....... I really did....

In the mean time, I'm uploading my pics.... stay tuned!

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #9 
OK Swampy, 

Here are a few of the MUD HOLE pictures

Sorry I just had to post the last one

Many more pics at:   http://onenationunderdoug.wordpress.com/2013/04/28/devils-creek-2013/

THANKS SWAMPY & CREW FOR A GREAT DEVIL'S CREEK !!!

Attached Images
jpeg Robbie1.JPG (2.95 MB, 168 views)
jpeg Robbie3.jpeg (2.87 MB, 144 views)
jpeg Robbie6.jpeg (3.15 MB, 101 views)
jpeg DSCF2657.JPG (3.06 MB, 119 views)
jpeg DSCF2658.JPG (3.24 MB, 121 views)
jpeg DSCF2661.JPG (2.99 MB, 99 views)
jpeg DSCF2663.JPG (2.97 MB, 84 views)
jpeg DSCF2664.JPG (3.14 MB, 112 views)

swampy

Reply with quote  #10 
This in the email from Chuck Bosworth....

-------------------------------------------------------------

Swampy:

I am a newbie to Dixie Dual Sport.  This was my first event.  It was outstanding!  What a well run event.  I could tell how much planning goes in to this and I just wanted to say Thank You.  You obviously have a great team of volunteers as well. 

The movie Friday night was a great idea, the food was excellent, love the campground, the trail routes and route sheets were spot on.  I can't wait until next year. 

I'm hooked on these events.

Cheers,

Chuck

Charles A. Bosworth CFP
CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER professional

Reply with quote  #11 
Let's start you of with some of the "behind the scenes" stuff....

How about some pre-ride pics....

This is the entrance to one of my favorite sections.... this is the wide & easy spot....

Just another day in the woods doing Creek pre-ride!

So fellas (and ladies) anyone run across a log or 5 or 6 they had to cross?

Sweeper Dave Hall and Steve Dunn helping to hang ribbons...

One of my favorite shots.... just look at the way the one tree fell into the other! And we're brave.... err... dumb... enough to park under them!

Volunteering to pre-ride and sweep is easy.... plus you get to ride, and ride, and ride, and ride, and ride some more!

Reply with quote  #12 
... and from the DDS Facebook Page....

If you're on Facebook, come like DixieDualSport!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/DixieDualSport-Motorcycle-Club/207686435926335

"Insert Clever
Slogan Here..."
Reply with quote  #13 
Thanks Swampy and all that made it happen. I had a great time even though I had to set out Sunday with a broken bike. My son had a great time on his first dual sport also.  Thanks for setting him up with some other riders on day 2! 1st class weekend with the ride, food and entertainment.  Devils Creek is always one of the things I look forward to each year.

Reply with quote  #14 
I'll go ahead and post a few pictures from DC 2013.
Go to post number one to find the link to all my pictures taken this year.

Saturday morning 06:00 comes early as things start happening around camp.
Riders info is set up and the coffee is started..

early roll charts get handed out to the volunteers and a game of paper, scissors and tape begins.
And the quote,"All I ever needed to know, I learned in kindergarten" gets put to the test.

Tech inspection starts as soon as Rich calibrates the sound meter.
Like so many other volunteers, Rob lends Rich a hand during tech inspection.

Most get handed their golden ticket..er...white index card and head off to get their rider packet.

While other get the news that their bikes are too loud and have to make a trip back to their truck for some "Sound Maintenance" before they get said entrance into the 2013 event.

This is what,"I'm sorry it's too loud" looks like.
Big hole usually equals big sound.

From the tech line, the riders would get their riders package before heading out to the woods.

More roll chart action would soon follow after the riders opened their rider info pack.

Team DDS volunteers would then gather for last minute instructions..

And before you knew what happened you were leaving camp and heading east..and so begins..
DC 2013 "The ride".

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
swampy

Reply with quote  #15 
.... and let's not forget the riders were able to download their route sheets ahead of time, and if they used a gps, routes were made available to them as well!

PLUS: There were three route options to choose from each day:

1. Adventure Route: Backroad touring on paved and dirt roads

2. Discovery Route: Half the woods miles of the dual sport, combined with more dirt road miles, made this a great option for the midsize (650cc) or beginning riders with limited skills!

3: Dual Sport: enduro oriented, long and challenging, off-road focused. Twice as many woods miles as the Discovery route...

Gotta say, heard a lot of positive things about creating a discovery route as well. Now the hardcore have the dual sport,  those learning the ropes have discovery, and the big bike touring guys have a great country tour!

Quick Navigation:

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!