A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

AMA 2017 DS

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 7      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   Next
redfishguide

RESET? There was a Reset?
Reply with quote  #46 
I left the Canadian contingent Tuesday morning.  Cody broke his collar bone but was handling it quite well.  Must be those tough canadian winters.  I broke mine almost 40 years ago and don't remember handling it quite so well.

After the monsoons on monday I left Sertoma Tuesday morn.  They were headed out for a bit of Gulf Coast sight seeing.  Apparently Rob felt too guilty to leave Cody at the campground to do more riding with his son Mike.

I spent two days trying to keep up with Rick and son Brad and the Canadian Contingent.  Managed to fall only once and softly at that.  Good old sugar sand.  I think Rick managed to set the weekend record for total crashes though hard to say since i was rarely close enough to be a witness.  I think he managed to leave in one piece both bike and body.

Just want to add my kudoos to Swampy, Mrs. Swampy and all the others who worked so hard to make the weekend so much fun.

Jack     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakbrand

Our young friend twenty minutes before he became Canadian carnage. 

Sleazy and I were trailing 50 yards behind the young Canadian along the power lines when his KLX250 bucked him clean out of the saddle. The limerock road on that section was pocked with a series of deep puddles rimmed with sharp edges. Jr. splashed through the first few without event. Then came a nasty tank slapper that launched him wildly into the next deep pot hole sending two sheets of water 10 feet high. He exited the second pot hole in full Superman position, legs straight up but with a firm grip on the handle bars. I couldn’t believe my eyes when he landed rubber side down square on the seat, and I thought to myself, “WOW! That was a close one!” Unfortunately, the Kawasaki veered a bit sideways and Bad Luck Canuck over compensated driving directly into the middle of another deep hole. This third pot hole was the charm. The Kid ejected left landing hard on the packed road and the Kaw cartwheeled right into the water.

Seconds later Sleazy and I skidded to a stop beside the kid. He was on his hands and knees but badly shaken. Moments later other riders from his group arrived and attended to him. Jr. was woozy and had trouble moving his arm. Injured shoulder? Rob Parker also at the scene,  instantly called Swampy, who directed TurnSignalTom to the location of the accident with a truck.

Ten yards away, Junior’s bike was still running, laying on its side gurgling in muddy water with the rear wheel spinning. Sleazy killed the motor and propped it upright, checked it over, then restarted the little thumper. A jammed throttle was the only noticeable damage or possibly the culprit.

Anyone have an update on his condition?

mr_guns

Brought To You By Tom's Yaller Snap-Off Foot Pegs!
Reply with quote  #47 
For those who don't camp may still be available next year....http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=741611

Reply with quote  #48 
Canadien Carnage....

Bad Luck Canuck....

Too Funny.....

Rob tells me Cody's doin' alright. He even emailed me from a Circuit City in Springhill...

Now I'm not quite sure what I'm more surprised about. Them finding a Circuit City that's still open, or that Cody rode out of the forest in a truck driven by TurnSignalTom.....who was followed by a Canadien....that's kinda like Snowbirdville!

Great stuff so far...

I'm still renaming and uploading pictures! I promised myself not to start posting pics until we hit 1500 views! So we're gettin' close!

In the meantime, I do want ya'll to know that the Daytona BikeWeek registration is open....

http://www.DixieDualSport.com

Look At The Size Of THAT Tank!
Reply with quote  #49 

Most excellent event, it was my first ride with DDS and I must say that the year I spent in anticipation was justified.

Thanks to all of you who made it happen!

Expect me at future rides.

Tracy 

It's all for nothing if you don't have freedom.
jakbrand

Reply with quote  #50 

We finally scrolled through the entire route sheet, but crety and the Wipper-Men didn’t want to retreat back to camp yet. So we raced through the last woods section a few times before chasing long shadows of late afternoon to join the others at the Bull Shoot.

Big thanks to Bert and DBM for organizing another edition of the Bull Shoot. Also, thanks to whoever cooked the most delicious greens I’ve ever tasted. After dinner I dozed by the fire and baked my shins until the entertainment cranked up. It’s hard to imagine wanting to watch a motorcycle flick after spending the entire day riding one, but I guess it’s the spirit of Devils Creek working its magic.

135 miles and 6 ribs on Saturday followed by 118 miles and 5 ribs on Sunday. That's 23 MPR (miles per rib). Not too shabby. 

We strayed slightly from the main route only nine or ten times, but who's counting? Our group decided to stick together since we had one roll chart between the five of us and frankly we didn't really need it. Thanks to the pre-ride crew, the main route was well marked, and it could have been completed simply by following ribbons and fresh tire tracks. I even oriented by recognizing sections from previous years.

After breezing across a familiar prairie section, Sleazy and I halted for a moment to reminisce the absurdly wet conditions of last year’s same prairie crossing. I vividly recalled wearing foggy goggles while plowing through axle deep water for a half mile in steady cold rain under dark gray skies praying not to drift blindly into a bottomless mud pit. Boots sloshing, gloves slick with mud, icy water running off the helmet, under the jacket, down my back into my soaked pants causing a third degree monkey-butt. Pure misery, but that was '08.

Devils Creek '09 was near perfect with a combination of good traction, clear weather and great food. Thanks to Swampy and all his minions, I hope to ride Devils Creek again in 2010.

Rain Dances With MiamiMike
Reply with quote  #51 

How bout'that pan fried cornbread mmmmm 

Swampy said it's okay.
How deep can it really be?
Reply with quote  #52 
Hi everyone, just wanted to echo what everyone's saying, The DC '09 was awesome!  Met many great folks and enjoyed the fantastic trails and food.  Thanks Swampy, Mrs, family and all the folks that are the back bone of this great club.  Still dreaming every night of the cool ride with a whole line of riders sweeping thru the turns.  Trails of Dreams.  If you route it, they will come.

Nate       

Reply with quote  #53 

Hey Moe,  You put 3 up twice.......    Yuk, Yuk ,Yuk Yuk

RichardD

Reply with quote  #54 

You can fool some of the people some of the time .............

really

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #55 
Swampy,
After thirteen Devils, this was one of the best!
I had a magnificent time.

One sourer point, in the rider meeting, you were more than clear about tearing up the roadway. The small platoon of KTM's did not understand this. It was embarrassing to watch them come out of the trail and whack away at the throttle all over the Forest road!

Anyway, thank you and team for the top quality event.

Really, 13
advcracker

Swampy said it's okay.
How deep can it really be?
Reply with quote  #56 
So Swamp, where are your pics?

Iquiring minds wanna know!

Just How Old IS Dirt, Exactly?
Reply with quote  #57 

And where are Bert's pics and pans. I know he has some interesting video footage but they may fall  under the catagory of advertisement.

Yaller Foot Pegs $#8.95 plus shippin ( Damn gas )
Snap Off Foot Peg Company
But wait....
Due to the current economy shippin has gone up

Tiger Tom
Turn Signal Tom
Pops

05 KLR 650 (a future in farkling)
01 KTM 520 Tagged
77 CanAm 250 Qualifier
73 Penton 125 Six Day ( Restored )
95 Triumph Tiger( First DDS Tiger )

If your gonna be stupid you better be tough.( Damn, I gotta start workin out )

If it looks deep...it's deeper. Yep, ask Johnny Africa.

The best way out of most situations is more gas.
cs400

I Like To Ride Nekkid!
Reply with quote  #58 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfront
Video round two.
A little tighter, (day one I think)
I'm just picking sections of video and trying to keep them under 100 meg.
That equates to about 6 minutes max.
I edited a total of five......enjoy.
Steve

That's was great, thanks for sharing, we just had pizza AND a movie!!  Keep 'em coming! 

EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:
And where are Bert's pics and pans. I know he has some interesting video footage but they may fall  under the category of advertisement.

Sorry Tom. My daughter's been going into labor "on again/off again" all week and I've been a little preoccupied. She had a baby girl yesterday. I'll try to get the rest of those pictures and videos loaded and add them to the collection.
Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
redfishguide

RESET? There was a Reset?
Reply with quote  #60 
Congradulations Grand Pa!!!!!!!!!!!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!