Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

2019 Event Has SOLD OUT IN 25 HOURS!

Author   Comment   Page 5 of 8     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   Next
geohound

Rain Dances With MiamiMike
Reply with quote  #61 

And on 3 different XTs!!, plus one borrowed DR200 (if I remember correctly).  Thanks for keeping the adventure ride Swampy, I know you were thinking about dropping it this year.  I remember my first year...I was so scared - going by myself, not knowing anyone.  Now it feels like I'm going to visit with family!  THanks to everyones efforts and help this year - and for those that lent me dry clothes and boots for the ride home (didn't expect to get wet on the adventure ride!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy

The adventure ride had it's fair share of adventure! 190 miles in length, it involved a full loop of paved and dirt roads in Central Florida and a full day to ride them. Lunch was with the other riders at the the lake, and 40 riders adventure riders had a chance to tell stories and look at bikes, such as Nick's Super Tenere, a few KTM 950's, Buells Uly's, GS's, DR650's, KLR's, DRZ's, and Samantha XT's while they shared lunch with the other 100 muddy dual sporters.... Now Samatha has been a steady rider ever since the creation of the Adventure ride, she's been on each one, and you can always tell she's having fun from the smile on her face and the little XT that keeps up with the big boys!

2009 XT250 "XTacyIV"
sleazy

Kazoo Virtuoso
Reply with quote  #62 
three days later....  and i'm still dreaming about that lunch.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Waffle House All-Star
Reply with quote  #63 
Yes Swampy, thanks so much for keeping the adventure ride...Simone and I really enjoyed our time together , and it was like a whole new Florida for both of us.  There ARE mountains and twisties in Florida after all! 

She said "let's do that ride again!"  And it was her first time reading a roll chart (over my shoulder!) so she had fun navigating too.

Had to work Sat. night, and a fever hit me on the way home...so I see I missed a hoot on Sunday ...but the interesting part of that is how many times I come back to this thread pouring over the legendary photos and videos anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!

swampy

Reply with quote  #64 
Yo Sleazy...

Maybe we should start a Miss Linda Fan Club....

...and you guys are welcome for the adventure ride...I believe it will always be a Creek staple no matter what!...Glad Simone enjoyed the ride!

Reply with quote  #65 

I get off my bike with camera in hand just in time to see Rob pull up at the first big water hole....Hint...Rob's never seen a challange he didn't want to attempt.Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #66 
Dual Sporting is a true reflection of how our society should work.
Use your head, make correct assesments, balance risk againt reward,
be responsible..At the end of the ride, if you do all these things and you mix in a little luck you'll be very sucessful.

A few true-isms of Dual Sporting

1. Learn to pick the right line. Experience in this area is usually the best teacher.

Experience in action

Be a good neighbor...you never know when you'll be the one needing help

Don't forget to eat when you have the chance...you never know how long until the next meal

Be careful.....We don't ride on one way race tracks. four wheelers are a possibility at every turn.

Don't forget that we're here to have a good time. Meet new people and old friends.

The BullShoot Bonanza worked out great and allowed us to put a few screen names with faces

That cake was really something special

All in all it was a great event.... Here's another pat on the back Swampy.
Great Job....Great job indeed.

Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
geohound

Reply with quote  #67 

Mrs Swampy is finally here!! Welcome to the forum Mrs. Swampy.  I'll hold that promise below to you.  Next year...your current XT and your ex-XT, riding together!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregirl
12 years of Devil's Creek and it's still fun! I look forward to it every year. Next year I'm joining the Adventure Ride with Samantha and Lauren. Wish me (them) luck!

2009 XT250 "XTacyIV"
geohound

Reply with quote  #68 

Wasn't it "there's a hole right here"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbarDP48
Hey Rob I'm trying to get your " There's a hole over there" video uploaded, but it's giving me issues right now....we'll get it.
Bert

2009 XT250 "XTacyIV"
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #69 
Another big thanks to a Dixie unsung hero....
Rich "Big Dog" Bumar  our sound sheriff

rich_in_orlando

DDS LifeTime Member
Reply with quote  #70 

If I knew I was gonna be on TV I would have combed my hair.

Reply with quote  #71 

Rich, how about a sound report.... how bad or good were they....

Reply with quote  #72 
Here's a little something for educational info.  It serves three purposes:

1:  You are never alone in the forest ... can you see around that blind corner?

2:  It's probably much deeper than you think.

3:  Here's how it got that deep !!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3859670637934497948&q=sara+shaw&total=104&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

I was the one that mentioned to Swampy that I knew of another club headed the same direction as us to play in the mud.  The local Land Rover club went to play also and I wanted to say thanks to whoever stopped at one point and spoke to them. There is a comment on their website that mentions this and said that you guys were nice for doing so.  We all share the same forest.

Mike
rich_in_orlando

DDS LifeTime Member
Reply with quote  #73 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy

Rich, how about a sound report.... how bad or good were they....

Most bikes were pretty good.  None had to get tested more than once.  DRZ/KLX 400s ranged between 86-89, newer EXCs were usually below 90, older ones are a little louder- I think one was 94.  The XR400s were invariable quiet around 85-86, while the bigger air-cooler XRs were a little louder at around 90-91.  Even the WR400s with GYT-R exhaust inserts were relatively quiet at around 89-90.  We had a couple of XR650Rs come through with aftermarket exhausts that were 95-96.  I spoke with the XR650R owners about the level and suggested that they try to get them quieter for the next time but we let them pass.  (They looked at me like they were thinking "yeah, right".  This was their first time and we let them slide.  Next time they must pass at 92 or lower if they still have modified exhausts.)  We also had a big adventure bike with dual exhausts come in around 96-97, but since the exhaust was an unmodified (as far as we could tell) stock muffler, we let it pass.  Funny though that it was so loud- EPA noise limits are well below that. Hmmm....

It surprised me was that several of the KLR650s came in pretty high.  One came in at 97 dBA.  It was due to the infamous "KLR whistle".  The low frequency noise was pretty low but that high-pitched whistle that seems to eventually develop in some KLRs will skew the results.  ("A" weighted noise- as in dBA- skews higher frequencies in calculating the decibel level.)  The good thing about that phenomenon is that high pitch noise doesn't travel as far as low frequency noise does so it's not as much of a problem as far as public perception goes.  I don't have a solution in mind though as to how to fix the actual muffler other than replacing it.

The quietest bikes were the small bore trail bikes like the XT and TW 250s and KLR/X250s.  They ranged usually below 84 dBA,; I think one was in the upper 70's.  If you think about how sound energy doubles for every 3-6 dB, a bike a 92 dBA is 4 times louder than a bike at 82!

What's nice is that as we continue to do these events, the number of noisy bikes gets fewer and fewer.  I'm guessing it's partly due to education like what we post here on the forum, partly due to experience of the participants (i.e., people have learned what it takes to make their particular bike pass tech), and partly due to the industry recognizing that noise issues have become important and so they a) make bikes with quiet pipes and b) sell quiet aftermarket mufflers.  Whatever the reason, it's good for all of us!

I'm Still A New Guy....Kick Me!
Reply with quote  #74 
Quote:
I think one was 94

My '05 525EXC stock exhaust came in at 94dB, I repacked it 2 days before the event, even brought the receipt with me to Tech, just in case. Last year it came in at 95dB, not sure what one can do, short of dropping $350 on a Leo Vinci exhaust.

rich_in_orlando

DDS LifeTime Member
Reply with quote  #75 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE
Quote:
I think one was 94

My '05 525EXC stock exhaust came in at 94dB, I repacked it 2 days before the event, even brought the receipt with me to Tech, just in case. Last year it came in at 95dB, not sure what one can do, short of dropping $350 on a Leo Vinci exhaust.

Hey, don't sweat it.  You passed.  That level is normal for your bike.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!